Cycling Jackets

Kerry Nikolaise

Guest
The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to
cold weather jacket. I am thinking of 2:

Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or

Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?

Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.

Thanks,

Kerry

"Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> wrote
in news:[email protected]:

> The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to cold weather jacket. I am
> thinking of 2:
>
> Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or
>
> Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?
>
> Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kerry

Zephyr is a sweatbox.

--
Mike Nitabach

> The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to
> cold weather jacket. I am thinking of 2:
>
> Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or
>
> Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?
>
> Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kerry

I can tell you that the Zephyrr doesn't have any pockets!

Pat in TX

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]
berlin.de:
> I can tell you that the Zephyrr doesn't have any pockets!

Personally, I prefer jackets with no pockets (less weight and bulk). If you really want pockets,
Pearl Izumi does make some jackets with pockets.

Kerry sez:

>The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to cold weather jacket. I am
>thinking of 2:
>
>Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or
>
>Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?
>
>Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kerry

Kerry: I rode for far too many years in Missouri (and Illinois) before moving to Florida. Even here,
North Florida, it gets down to the same temps; this morning, it's in the mid-20s.

Go by Wal-Mart and look at some of their nylon jackets. I get the unlined here, but you might do
better with the lined. Buy one (about $15) at least one size too large.

Now you have plenty of room for good layering. I also waterproofed mine for those sudden,
unannounced Florida downpours, but otherwise, it's a cool/cold-weather jacket.

HTH. Bill, riding bent in Florida (hence the screen name) To e-mail, remove undies

Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience its
been hit or miss with Performance gear in terms of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who
actually made the jacket.

JMO, YMMV.

news:[email protected]...

Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience
> its been hit or miss with Performance gear in terms of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who
> actually made the jacket.

Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who
really made it?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 13:05:43 -0600, "jmk" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience its
>been hit or miss with Performance gear in terms of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who
>actually made the jacket.

Piggybacking...

http://www.backpacker.com/more/0,2649,5785,00.html

...has a bunch of reviews of gear incl. rain jackets and soforth...FWIW.
----
Here are some links I've looked at with reviews on raingear, my current quest... but use the search
box for other types...

Five Jackets for nasty weather http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,2190,00.html

How to pick raingear http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,1234,00.html

Redledge Thunderlight jacket http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,217,00.html

New Wave Rainsuits... http://www.backpacker.com/article/0,2646,379,00.html

I just got a cheap but nice PVC rainsuit from A&N, half-price post Xmas sale for 20. (Only thing
it's missing is a 2-way zipper, and an outer rainflap on the zipper, but good buy for the price)

Campmor has a nice rain suit, 30 bucks, but limited sizing right now...(www.campmor.com)

HTH,

-B

In article <[email protected]>,
Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

> "jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience
> > its been hit or miss with Performance gear in terms of quality. With Pearl, at least you know
> > who actually made the jacket.
>
> Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who really
> made it?

Some guy from Macao. But understand that this is the case with most cycling apparel, most bicycles
and parts, and indeed, most of the stuff in your house.

Major companies like Norco and minor ones like Habanero are essentially domestic design outfits
linked to production contracts with Taiwanese, Chinese, and other factories around the world.
Indeed, the vast majority of sub-$1000 bicycles sold on this continent would be Taiwanese or Chinese
made. Not that this is a bad thing: they couldn't be made for those prices on this continent.

There are exceptions. I happen to have a Hind jersey and Trek leggings that were made in the US, a
pair of Canadian-made shorts, a gen-u-ine Eye-talian Pinarello, and a Kona that was almost certainly
made in the USA. Makers like Trek, Cannondale, and Rocky Mountain make a big deal of their domestic
bike manufacture, because it's a nice selling point. Makers like Norco make a big deal of their
ability to undercut makers like Rocky Mountain by several hundred dollars on similar-spec products.

The manufacturer takes on the burden of making sure that the product is up to snuff no matter where
it is made. Norcos have a good reputation regardless of their land of origin, and few people say bad
things about Pearl Izumi jackets, either. For that matter, I have a perfectly serviceable Japanese
Bianchi from the 80s, when making a bike in Japan was the equivalent of making it in Taiwan today: a
way of exploiting a cheap, skilled bike-making labour force.

North America still does many things better than anywhere else in the world. Intel, Motorola, and
IBM still build most of their chips in the US. Despite globalization, a lot of auto production
facilities got built in the USA (making everything from Hondas to BMWs) in the last few decades, and
while software coding is migrating to India, the US still reigns supreme.

Think velocity, buy globally,

>Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who
>really made it?

Kinji Shimizu, of course.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience
> its been hit or miss with Performance gear in
terms
> of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who actually made the jacket.

Most of my bike clothing is from Performance, and their shorts are made in the USA. So, if nothing
else is shorts and tights are LOL....

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who really
>>made it?
>
> Kinji Shimizu, of course.

You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese workers? Or do you just think that
all ethnic Asians look alike?

>>>Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who really
>>>made it?

>>Kinji Shimizu, of course.

>You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese workers?

Not exactly but the QC is there, I don't think old Kinji would have let that slip given that he
was/is a textile guy with an enviable history of innovation. As Ryan says there isn't much to
dislike about Asian bicycle specific products these days.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend PI products, I use the older Zephyrr jacket with no problems.
Excellent Macau manufacture, exact multi row stitching, all quality manufacture. Five years old and
no rips or tears in daily use. I rate it outstanding.

PI has been around since 1951, believe it or not. They apparently entered the US marketplace in
1981, you can do the search.

>Or do you just think that all ethnic Asians look alike?

I can tell the difference between real estate babes.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

R. Limbaugh wrote:

> "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>>>Do you really know who made a Pearl Izumi jacket? If the label says "made in Macao", who really
>>>made it?
>>
>>Kinji Shimizu, of course.
>

> You really believe that Macao sweatshops are staffed by Japanese workers? Or do you just think
> that all ethnic Asians look alike?

Kinji Shimizu was the founder of Pearl Izumi.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½? N, 90½ W

"Kerry Nikolaisen" asked
> The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to cold weather jacket. I am
> thinking of 2:
I've been real happy with the Sugoi Evaporator zip jersey - not waterproof, but with a longsleeve
undershirt, good to ~20 degrees. http://store.yahoo.com/racelogix/suevzipje.html A little more than
you were looking for, maybe. Matt

Matt J <[email protected]> wrote:
: I've been real happy with the Sugoi Evaporator zip jersey - not waterproof, but with a longsleeve
: undershirt, good to ~20 degrees.

second that. it's definitely good down to 20F as you describe and i like the 3 pockets in back. it's
waterproof enuf for me (i'm not in the pacific northwest) and it'll get drizzle fine. i've worn it
with long underwear and a l/s wool jersey underneath to less than 20F as well.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

>They gave the 2004 Rapidfire a re-model, including "sealed" zippers. I haven't tried it yet so I
>can't comment on whether or not it improved. Stupidly, they moved the rear pocket to double hip
>pockets and eliminated the fold-up tail. Also, they removed the breast pockets/vents and
>elasticized the wrists and drawstringed the waist.

I bought last years model (G) as I wanted the breast vents the tail seems handy too.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

Robin Hubert wrote:

> "Steve Knight" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I like the burley coat. it has vest zips and pit sips and a vented back.
>
> velcro
>
>>cuffs. my only complaint would be the zipper is not covered so in heavy
>
> rain you
>
>>will get a little wet in front. but the coat is light and does breath a
>
> bit.
>

> They gave the 2004 Rapidfire a re-model, including "sealed" zippers. I haven't tried it yet so I
> can't comment on whether or not it improved. Stupidly, they moved the rear pocket to double hip
> pockets and eliminated the fold-up tail. Also, they removed the breast pockets/vents and
> elasticized the wrists and drawstringed the waist.

It seems like these changes would be improvements for recumbent riders. Burley happens to be making
several models of recumbents now - any connection?

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Originally posted by Kerry Nikolaise
The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to
cold weather jacket. I am thinking of 2:

Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or

Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.

Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?

Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.

Thanks,

Kerry

Take a look at the Mt. Borah jacket at hostelshoppe.com I have one and like the ventilation. It does a nice job with the wind and has enough room for layers under it.

Ken

"jmk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Its JMO, but I would avoid the Performance jacket in favor of the Pearl Izumi. In my experience
> its been hit or miss with Performance gear in
terms
> of quality. With Pearl, at least you know who actually made the jacket.
>
> JMO, YMMV.
>

> "Kerry Nikolaisen" <f o u r n i k s @ c h a r t e r . n e t> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > The xmas cash has rolled in and I am in the market for a cool weather to cold weather jacket. I
> > am thinking of 2:
> >
> > Performance Illuminite @ 59 bills, or
> >
> > Pearl Izumi Zephyr @ 59 bills.
> >
> > Does anyone have any thoughts on either or suggest others in this price range?
> >
> > Riding in Missouri weather, if that helps.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kerry

The only thing I don't like about the Zephyrr is that it does not appear to have reflective
piping at all. At least that's what I have gathered from looking at both Performance and Colorado
Cyclist online.

SinceI may be using this jacket to commute in the dark morning, I would really like the added safety
of reflective piping. I think PI has this but it is in a more expensive jacket.

Kerry