Cycling Jerseys with ultraviolet light protection (UPF)?

allamerican02

Feb 2, 2013
Hi there, I am shopping for a bicycle jersey or two and I noticed that some come with UV protection. For instance, Pearl Izumi has several jerseys that have a UPF of 50+. Most jerseys do not advertise that they have UV protection properties. Do you think this is a worthwhile quality to look for in a jersey? Do all jerseys protect you from UV light, or just the ones that advertise? How can you tell? How do you protect yourself from UV rays if you are not wearing one of those types of jerseys? Thanks a bunch.

1. Yep, it's worthwhile, especially if you don't like getting sunburned and you think skin cancer is bad. 2. Not all jersey's provide UV protection. If the jersey provides UV protection, there should be something attached to the jersey that says so or something on the company's website that says so. 3. The traditional method for protecting the skin against UV damage is applying sunblock to your skin.

Reactions: allamerican02
Ultraviolet is gonna get you no matter the jersey. By these tricks you are just making her more angry... :big-smile:
I think skin friendly ness and breathability is more important then UV... plus I think that you are only in danget of UV burns when you dont wear something. How many times did you get red skin when wearing a t-shirt? Like any t-shirt? Its always a good idea to have a very small exposure to intense sunlight... Around here you can get a burn in 30min or so in the summer, maybe less and thats a burn, no idea what "minor" damage an even smaller exposure can do... :confused:

Volnix has apparently never been to Arizona. Yes, you can get burned through your cycling jersey.

I bought a great swim shirt/rash guard UV 50 shirt from a company called Coolibar. It's extremely comfortable. They don't make any cycling specific clothing but have general athletic wear that might work. www.coolibar.com

Weird. Tucson and Ohio look about the same today.

Must be winter south of the equator.

It's been a while, but I did a lot of cycling in the Tucson area and I don't ever remember getting sunburned thru a jersey or shorts or socks.

Cooked to medium well done, yes. Sunburned, no.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

Cooked to medium well done, yes. Sunburned, no.
Laughed. Now on topic - you usually don't get SUNBURNS through a t-shirt(unless the sun is close as hell to the earth). You will just get a weird shaped tan. It could be worthwhile buying a UV protected jersey, but personally I wouldn't. I'd just apply some sunblock and that's it.

Da sun has magical mystical and ultra-super strong UV death rays in Arizona. It's a little known fact that an eeevil scientist controls the sun's death rays and targets Arizona. And Hoboken, N.J. But, no one minds that Hoboken gets fried.

The 'dots' on the back on my cycling gloved hands identify me as a roadie...someone too stoopid to buy UV ray fighting gloves. With Hole-Blockers.

And no one in Greece gets sunburned thru their tunics.

CAMPYBOB said:
Da sun has magical mystical and ultra-super strong UV death rays in Arizona. It's a little known fact that an eeevil scientist controls the sun's death rays and targets Arizona. And Hoboken, N.J. But, no one minds that Hoboken gets fried. The 'dots' on the back on my cycling gloved hands identify me as a roadie...someone too stoopid to buy UV ray fighting gloves. With Hole-Blockers. And no one in Greece gets sunburned thru their tunics.
The sun sucks!!! :big-smile:

RidingSeed said:
you usually don't get SUNBURNS through a t-shirt(unless the sun is close as hell to the earth). You will just get a weird shaped tan. It could be worthwhile buying a UV protected jersey, but personally I wouldn't. I'd just apply some sunblock and that's it.  
So, everyone cycles in a t-shirt? Or, wait: you're saying that t-shirts are UV opaque. So, there's no need for scientific review because........you never got burned wearing a t-shirt, right? Fortunately, humans don't have to rely on the lackluster ability of people like BigotBob and others to judge whether or not UV penetration of clothing is a concern. There's a thing called science: http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=478464 A quote from the above paper: "in Australia, cancer education campaigns have long urged the use of clothing in conjunction with hats and sunscreens as UV protection. Nevertheless, several studies have recently shown that, contrary to popular opinion, some textiles provide only limited UV protection.2 In addition, it was found that one third of commercial summer clothing items provided a sun protection factor of less than 15." So, 1/3 of summer clothing was shown to have less UV protection than SPF 15. Hmmm. What is the recommended SPF for sunblock? Oh, wait. It's much higher than SPF 15, isn't it? Now is probably a good time for BigotBob and t-shirt experts the world over to run off and look up what sun protection factor is all about. Feel free to check Google Scholar, arXiv, and other research databases for further information, or feel free to invest in the intellectual vacuum of BigotBob's space or in biased memories of t-shirt performance. Oh, and don't forget why it is that UV protection is supposed to be good. See there's that whole connection between skin damage secondary to UV exposure and skin cancer, particular melanoma. BeenThereDoneThatBob didn't mention that when he talked about his voluminous experience in Arizona. Note that the Bigot "Machinist" also didn't mention that the states with the highest mortality from melanoma are Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Montana, Oregon, Utah, and West Virginia. What... is that Arizona in there? Imagine that.

Heheh! Got yer ass kicked again!

"So, 1/3 of summer clothing was shown to have less UV protection than SPF 15."

So...2/3 of summer clothing was shown to have greater UV protection than SPF 15. Which would include my jerseys. And my shorts. And my socks.

The missing 'dot' in my cycling gloves may have a lower SPF than 15! LMAO!

Better get a heavy long sleeve flannel shirt and pop that collar! Go FR for maximum protection as you're likely to explode in flames in super, ultra UV-ray afflicted Arizona!

"What... is that Arizona in there? Imagine that."

Arizona! Come here to die!

Meh. You're full of old folks and illegals.

Say, Uncle Alien...can you tell us the story of the 2-1/4 turn loosened spokes again? That was cool! Or about the time when dinosaurs ruled the earth and sound wasn't carried by the wind? We love yer science 'factoids'.

"While no doubt true in some cases, many newer T-shirts are treated with "optical brightening agents." These OBAs, appearance-enhancers for white fabrics, also boost disruption of UV radiation. Most common household detergents also include OBAs, so repeated launderings will increase the fabric's accumulation of brighteners and thus increase its UV-protective ability. Some experts estimate that such shirts may offer a UPF of nearly 15."

A common T-shirt and a few washings will get you SPF 15. For ****'s sake.

Yup, plenty of protection.

Hey...Dumass...

"The rates are the numbers out of 100,000 people who developed or died from melanoma of the skin each year."

Ohio has a higher skin cancer rate than geriatric Arizona. LMAO!

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm

I guess the CDC will be issuing all USCF/UASC members only long sleeve jerseys, full leg tights and gloves with full fingers! LMFAO!

Thanks everyone for the help. Those are some very interesting graphics, CampyBob. Can anyone recommend any companies that make jerseys that have UV protection? The only one I know of is Pearl Izumi. Thanks!!

allamerican02 said:
Thanks everyone for the help. Those are some very interesting graphics, CampyBob. Can anyone recommend any companies that make jerseys that have UV protection? The only one I know of is Pearl Izumi. Thanks!!
Sugoi makes some, as do quite a number of other manufacturers. I'd suggest searching under "UV cycling jerseys", "UV cycling clothes", "cycling jerseys SPF", and etc.

Long sleeve, because Ohio has higher death rates from skin cancer than Arizona. Imagine that.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/road-apparel/mens-road-apparel/solar-jet-jersey-ls

Assos claims 'enhanced' UV protection when wearing this:

Ribbles offers a few UV jerseys...just a little better UV protection than a decent T-shirt:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/jerseys-short-sleeve-2xu-active-cycle-jersey/2xuazjss200

And if you decide to go with short sleeves (with UV 'protection'? WTF???), be sure and order your awesome Aussie Arm Coolers: http://www.bicyclebuys.com/clothing/jerseys/0791411LW&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=Froogle?gclid=CKWo-4rms7gCFWJlMgodgikAgQ

CAMPYBOB said:
Assos claims 'enhanced' UV protection when wearing this:
I think I need some of that UV protection... I am starting to go red allready!!! :love: I was reading a bit on what to wear on the dessert. Basically the trick was supposed to be long sleeve loose clothing in bright colors and ofcourse a hat and sunglasses. But loose clothing dont go well with road cycling. :sad:

Hell, man! Don'tcha know those desert Arabs get sunburned right thru their robes! You've never been to the Sonoran desert, have you? It's full of Arabs illegal mexicans.

And they get sunburned right thru their sombreros and ponchos.

So remember kids, yer Uncle Alien sayz a full 1/3 of summer clothes offer too little UV ray protection. The other 2/3rds will work just fine!

"But loose clothing dont go well with road cycling."

Huh?!?!

So be careful of the the sun's rays or you will get sunburned right thru your clothing and die in Arizona! The sun iz serious bidness!

CAMPYBOB said:
Hmmm but that dress is not aero!!! I need to contact this girl and I am offering my clothes fitting services for free. Wouldnt want to see her getting a sun burn! :big-smile:

Better check to see that she did not sunburn under her dress.

Oh wait. That only happens in Arizona. Where the sun is scientifically more lethal! Studies disprove it!