Cycling Knickers

ktrinh

Sep 5, 2006
Dear All

Please help!
My husband and I will be participating in Oxfam Australia Cycling Challenge from Vietnam to Cambodia in November, and we are trying to save as much as possible just in case we couldn't raise the $10000 required. Because we are inexperience cyclist we were told by friends to invest in some cycling knickers. I saw some at Rebel, does anyone know if they are any good and can I get some sort of discount at Rebel. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kim

The Tour De France, 3,800ks in 3 weeks kind of proves that good cycling wear works. cycling shorts with antiseptic pads are not only healthier for the body, but more comfortable as they bridge the gap between bum and seat...

Most shops sell plain black ones for $60 and up. Alternatively, you can go online to online stores or ebay.

As for stores giving discounts, I'd hit them up over the phone for a donation of the shorts or a hefty discount before walking in the store, as you're likely to get some young sales assistant who's been trained to say no to discounts...

ktrinh said:
Dear All

Please help!
My husband and I will be participating in Oxfam Australia Cycling Challenge from Vietnam to Cambodia in November, and we are trying to save as much as possible just in case we couldn't raise the $10000 required. Because we are inexperience cyclist we were told by friends to invest in some cycling knickers. I saw some at Rebel, does anyone know if they are any good and can I get some sort of discount at Rebel. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Kim
Kim

I'd go to you local bike shop to check out the range of cycling knicks, some brands have women specific models, they would be able to give you the best advice around what to get.

Jaggad is a good australian brand, with highly specified garments

www.jaggad.com.

You may need more than one pair.

I'd have a look at Bicycling victoria site for what you need for longer rides.

http://www.greatrides.com.au/inform.php?a=4&b=121&c=152

What you're talking about here are referred to as knicks in Australia and simply as cycling shorts in many other places.

Rather than shopping at Rebel, I'd go to a proper bike shop and ask for advice from the assistants. I understand that your budget is tight (I've cycled across Australia 5 times for charity so I know what it's like) but you should get the best knicks you can afford. That doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive but ask at the local bike shop for recommendations.

I've cycled in cheaper knicks in the past and it's not worth it.

Let the shop owner know what you're doing and ask if they can help by donating some gear or giving you a big discount. They may be able to ask the manufacturer to donate some good gear.

MediaCreations said:
What you're talking about here are referred to as knicks in Australia and simply as cycling shorts in many other places.
And to complicate matters more, "knickers" is used in the U.S. to refer to cycling "shorts" that end just below the knee for use in cool weather.

ktrinh said:
Dear All

Please help!

Regards,
Kim
Noting all of the above, a bike shop is best, however, if you're still dead keen on going to Rebel, they'll give you 5% off if you're a member of an affiliated gym (most gyms are on the Rebel MVP program). If you're an NRMA member, show them your NRMA member card, and it's 10% off.

IIRC, Rebel sell Scody gear, which in my experience, works a treat, and lasts wash after wash. Some of cheaper brands don't last very long at all.

HTH,

n

you WILL need more than one pair! try 3 to begin with. (one pair to wear, one spare and one in the wash/drying for tommorow)
if you do decide to buy knicks from rebel, go for the best ones they stock (probably around $85-100 per pair for the netti womens ones.)
the budget may be tight right now, but chaffing and saddle sores in the future will make it alot tighter! it might seem like a big outlay now, but it is most certainly worth it in the long run, especially seeing the distance you will be doing!

When it comes to knicks - the more you pay, the better the quality is.
Rebel sport sell some knicks under the "dublino" brand, priced around $40. I don't recommend them, as they wear out too fast. I brought a pair in November, by April they had become my spare/under capri knicks. Their quality isn't that great.
Rebel Sports isn't all bad though. During the boxing day sales last year I found some 1/2 price Netti Jerseys. My fav winter top was priced at $35, original price around $80.
My best pair of shorts is some "fox" knicks I got for $50 from my LBS. They were on sale, with the original price of $90. Their chamois is comfy, they fit well & the lycra seems of good quality.
So, if i were you, I would look around you local rebel sport and/or bike shops & see if there any specials on bike clothes.

Happy Riding

one way to ensure your knicks don't wear out and stretch is to put them in the washing machine on "Delicates" setting, or better still, stick them in a bra/pantyhose mesh bag as well...then the agitator won't damage them by excessive stretching. I know a bit about agitators, check some of my posts!!

:D :cool: :p

I'm getting from ktrinh's post that cost is the big issue...

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? vbmenu_register("postmenu_2991389", true);

Cycling clothes need not be too expensive.
Whilst I like to buy quality clothes, I don't want to pay alot of money for them.
Here's my experience in cycling on the cheap:

Netti Shy shorts $30 ?
Dublino Knicks $25 (Great Vic Bike Ride Sale)
Fox Knicks $50 (my LBS)

Netti Jasmine Jersey $35
Netti Lily Jersey $30
Netti Winter Jersey $35
(Rebel Sport)

None of the above were brought at the full price.

I'm now on the lookout for a Netti Breeze Jersey (Bright yellow),another pair of knicks and maybe a jacket. Netti has a factory sale on October 20,21 &22nd. I might make the trip to Alexandria, to see if there are good bargains about.

And at the next Great Victorian Bike Ride, I'm going to see if there any reduced priced bike clothes (maybe some leggings, arm warmers) in any "tent" shops.

There are bargains to be found, you've just need to keep an eye out for them.

You will soon forget how much you saved, when you have a sore behind in the middle of nowhere.

Also, you will be riding in a hot climate and therefor will generate more personal moisture [thats sweat to some].

Take the advice of the other posters, then find out what kind of shorts will deliver the best comfort and then shop for price.

asterope said:
you WILL need more than one pair! try 3 to begin with.

Absolutely. Don't wear the same pair two days in a row. Make sure you wash them thoroughly after each ride. By the way, in case no one's mentioned it to you yet, they're designed to be worn without underwear.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your respond.
I will definitely take it into consideration when shopping for them.
I am on a budget but if I have to for a comfortable and enjoyable cycling trip then I will just have to.
I have raised $6000 so far, so $4000 to go.
If you know anyone who would like to help me out with some sponsorship or donations please let me know. I am not asking for much.
Also, Oxfam Australia have been given tickets to Cirque du Soleil - Verekai shows and every tickets I sell, Oxfam Australia will put $50 towards my $10000 target. So please let me know if you or someone you know would like to go. I can order tickets for any states that Cirque du Soleil will be visiting.

Thanks a million for all those useful information and suggestions.

P.S
This is the first time I've joined a forum and post something too.
It is actually good fun.

Kind Regards,
Kim.