Cycling letter

Nick Kew wrote:

> Western Morning News; August 6th, on the problem of pinch points.
> Featured as the #1 letter that day, with their added headline taken
> from the body text.
>
> http://www.webthing.com/~nick/pinch-point.jpg

Glad I don't live in Plymouth any more then! (although I do miss the
old railway line up to Princetown)

We have them all over the place here in Sheffield and in my opinion they are very dangerous for cyclists.

On 2 seperate occasions this year I have had traffic trying to "squeeze" past me.

On one of these occasions it was a horse box which could barely get through itself.

They without doubt cause motorists to take risks imo. :mad:

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tony W" <[email protected]> writes:

> Ask your county council for a copy of the cycling safety audit on this
> 'improvement'. Should make entertaining reading.

Hmm, I tried a phone number listed as "road safety" under the Plymouth
City Council section of the phone book. Spoke to someone who said they'd
get the right person to ring back. Got fed up waiting and went over to
the WMN website instead.

--
Nick Kew

"Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Hmm, I tried a phone number listed as "road safety" under the Plymouth
> City Council section of the phone book. Spoke to someone who said they'd
> get the right person to ring back. Got fed up waiting and went over to
> the WMN website instead.

Says it all really. Try the Highways Department.

Its probably filed on Alpha Centuri though -- in a locked and lost box!!

I have emailed the local council in Sheffield.

They replied that when it was a question of pedestrian safety over cycle safety pedestrians came first.

Not convinced that they can't use other measures that benefit both groups.

They also said they would get back with a more detailed response.

btw it may just be the weather but there do seem to be a lot more cyclists out this year

Tim

Ride in the middle of the available carriageway and make sure there isn't
any room for motorists to even think about passing.