Cycling Linked To Sponsorship Scandal

Uboat

May 17, 2005
NB: Rumour has it this refers to the Tour Trans Canada. I'd say the CCA who worked for them back then must be running scared!!!!

Advertising executive Paul Coffin leaves following his first day of testimony before the Gomery Commission on April 26 in Montreal. (CP PHOTO/Paul Chiasson)

MONTREAL -- Ad man Paul Coffin, the first person charged in the federal sponsorship scandal, pleaded guilty Tuesday to 15 fraud charges.

Three of the 18 fraud charges that Coffin originally faced were withdrawn by the Crown.

Coffin is president of Communication Coffin. He was arrested in September 2003 on the charges relating to federally sponsored events which took place between 1997 and 2002.

The events included local automobile and bicycle races, festivals and ski activities.

Sentencing arguments will take place on Aug. 16.

Coffin's jury trial had been set to start June 6 before he decided to plead guilty.

In testimony at the federal sponsorship inquiry, Coffin said he falsified bills earning him more than $1.5 million in sponsorship income following requests by his friend, then-sponsorship boss Chuck Guite.

Coffin told the inquiry his stream of bogus bills began to flow from the first day his firm was chosen as part of a select group of Montreal ad agencies charged with managing sponsorship files in 1997.

Guite and advertising executive Jean Brault also face fraud-related charges related to the sponsorship scandal. Their joint trial is set for October.

At the inquiry, Coffin helped shed light on alleged bureaucratic collusion in a scheme to create a lengthy trail of falsified paperwork and inflated bills for several files, including Jean Chretien's Clarity Act on Quebec secession.

Coffin testified that his firm earned $86,500 while fronting for Clarity Act work actually done by Montreal-based BCP, a firm with close ties to the federal and Quebec Liberals.

The inquiry, chaired by Justice John Gomery, is examining irregular spending in the sponsorship program, which was supposed to promote Canadian unity but has been accused of funnelling millions in government contracts to Liberal-friendly ad firms.

Coffin has also said he fronted a Health Canada ad contract for a second agency, Gingko Group, and took a commission even though Gingko did all of the work.

He told the inquiry he had a close friendship with Guite and once hired the bureaucrat as a consultant following Guite's retirement.

Coffin singled out Guite and the bureaucrat's assistant, Huguette Tremblay, as participants in a scheme to top off production-fee budgets for a number of sponsorship files from 1997 to 1999.

He told the sponsorship inquiry that Guite asked him to bill for hours worked even though Coffin's firm didn't keep time sheets.

Coffin and fellow ad man Jean Lafleur have both said Public Works officials approved, and even encouraged, the massive fees each agency took for managing $250 million in sponsorship deals from 1997 to 2003.

In many cases the middlemen couldn't say what they did to earn the fees. Sometimes they billed for entertaining clients at hockey games or simply passing along paperwork and cheques.

Coffin himself admitted he sometimes billed taxpayers for work done by his wife, who was not on his payroll.

Things are more complicated than that.

Furthermore, the CCA had little to do with any of it.

Serge Arsenault, former organizer of the Mens' World Road Cups in Montreal, Montreal Marathon and owner of Serdy Video and Evasion TV (a speciality channel that presents the Tour de France, among other things), was the guy behind the Trans Canada Tour.

I worked for them, BTW. I was there.

Arsenault got a lot of money from Canadian Heritage for the race. Part of it he kicked back or rolled over to his Serdy Video company to air a show on TSN/RDS every night on the Tour (Steve Bauer & Ron Francis, Louis Bertrand and ?? in French). Ads for the show included Canada Tourism stuff. That's probably your sponsorship money connection

Nobody at the CCA now had anything to do with any of that. Even earlier all they (Hutsebaut) would have done was assist with the sanction and competition technical points.

You can write to the Montreal Marathon (Serge Arsenualt's brothers run it all) or to Serge's TV station or video production company and ask him about it.

I don't you will find much wrong, though. The money used for the race was then spent on a TV production which was aired.

The race was expensive. Most Euro teams would have travelled free and all staff would have stayed expense free. In my personal example (I drove the media van for a week from Quebec City to Niagara Fals and back to MTL) I had all expenses paid (rooms & all meals) and made $500 or so for about six days work. Alll drivers had the same deal about. Vehicles were provided for everyone, all gas paid. Conference suites were rented at every hotel. We stayed in good hotels most of the time. Everybody had uniforms given to them (jackets and polo tops frm LG).

The race would never have happenned without the federal money. It went to Quebec and Ontario.

Facts trump rumours...

According to The Gazette this morning the cycling event in question was at Mont Ste-Anne, so I'm assuming it was a MTB race. It had nothing to do with Tour Trans Canada of 1999, at least nothing anybody has plead to yet...

Adman pleads guilty
Coffin admits to bilking taxpayers of more than $1,556,625 from 1997 to 2002
ALLISON HANESThe Gazette

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

http://www.canada.com/montreal/mont...d=85662667-67e3-49b4-a3d4-d17e96068fa0&page=2
spacer.gif

For every dollar his advertising firm legitimately billed the federal government to boost its profile in Quebec through the sponsorship program, Paul Coffin illegally pocketed another.http://www.canada.com/montreal/mont...html?id=85662667-67e3-49b4-a3d4-d17e96068fa0#

The 63-year-old ad executive pleaded guilty yesterday to 15 counts of fraud, admitting to bilking taxpayers of more than $1,556,625 over a five-year period.

Between 1997 and 2002, Communications Coffin charged Ottawa $3.2 million to place its Canada logo at cultural and sporting events across Quebec, from 300th anniversary festivities in the town of Trois Pistoles to a cycling competition at Mont Sainte Anne.

Google Tour Trans Canada and Sponsorship Scandal and you come up with a paragraph in the Auditor General's report on the event. Tour Cyclist Trans Canada even got its own highlighted paragraph. The AG said 400K was not accounted for. Serdy Video was the organizer and has been mentioned in testimony at the Gomery Commission. Since there is ongoing criminal investigations it is too early to speculate about who may or may not be involved.

Here's the reference in the AG Report.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/domino/reports.nsf/html/20031103se02.html

Lots of seamy stuff coming at Gomery. It's understandable that those involved with this event would rather see it associated with Canadian Heritage than the Sponsorship Scandal.

Only $500 Ed? sounds like you were out of the loop.

Yup, I was out of the loop.

I drove my van full of journalists, drank a lot in the evening, had a lot of coffee in the morning. Saw plenty of old friends. Watched Gord Fraser win stage after stage. Wondered where the crowds were in Ontario.