cycling links

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 22:38:03 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> 88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington University

>If Guy Chapman is referring to the studies done at the The Harborview
>Injury Prevention and Research Center [1], he should be aware that this
>is part of the UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON [2] located in Seattle,
>Washington, USA. WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY [3] is located in the St. Louis,
>Missouri metropolitan area and is a wholly unrelated institution.

And there was I thinking the University of Washington School of
Medicine might have been part of the same institution.

OK, the Thompsons are from Center for Health Studies, Puget Sound, I
know that. I wonder if CHS, Puget Sound will fit in a .sig line?
I'll have a go :)

Actually it's over 65% of them according to the Cochrane Review: 70%
of the cases there are the authors' own work :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

Chris Phillipo <[email protected]>typed

> You think heat stroke is some how beneficial?

Cycle helmets are *said* not to cause this, unlike army helmets, for
reasons I've never understood...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 30/11/04 4:37 pm, in article [email protected],
"Chris Phillipo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <BDD25157.43FB%[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>>> Well I have seen a june bug take a guy next to me on a GSXR right off
>>> the road so I don't know what we are even arguing about here. That guy
>>> wears a full face helmet with visor now you can bet on that.

>> Don't get such things around here. The odd buzzard that takes a liking to
>> cyclists perhaps, and teh bikes I ride tend to be at a much slower speed
>> (you did notice the lack of the work 'motor' in any of the newsgroup names?)
>>
>> ..d
>>

> Did you notice the tendency to bring up mandatory car and motorcycle
> helmet laws whenever bicycle helmets are mentioned?

I'm sure they would do as much if not more good..

...d

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch wrote:
>Chris Phillipo wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] says...

>>>Why? If it saves one life...think of the children...isn't your head
>>>worth it?

>> You think heat stroke is some how beneficial?

>No, though I think irony may be lost on you...

"It's like bronzey and silvery, only made of iron, isn't it?"

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 05:26:33 +0000, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Interesting. Is that zero after accounting for the 10x helmet wearing
>factor only or all the other factors. If its the latter then presumably
>helmets had no measurable effect, but if its the former then adding in
>the other correcting factors would give a negative overall effect.

Before. Added together they may or may not reduce the claimed benefit
to zero; actually you look at the errors and realise it's a complete
dog's breakfast and ignore the whole thing. Or at least you do if you
have any interest in accuracy at all.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:55:13 +0000, Richard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
>> energy varies with speed squared.

>ITYM kinetic energy, not potential energy. (gravitational) PE goes as
>height.

D'oh! I know that. Put it down to too many interrupted nights - the
kids are ill.

Alan Braggins wrote:

> "It's like bronzey and silvery, only made of iron, isn't it?"

Yes Baldrick

Tony

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:37:08 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Road gong cars are
>designed to be safe for people NOT wearing helmets. PERIOD.

Not very well designed, then, are they? Look at the number of
unhelmeted people they manage to kill every year!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:39:09 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Show me the helmet that can take save a person from a 50mph impact and
>you might start making some sense.

Quite. Bike helmets are designed for 12mph impacts. I wonder why
people believe they work in much faster collisions?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:40:39 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Have you ever heard of risk compensation?

>Would you like to see how long we can go on answering a question with a
>question?

Did you threaten to overrule him? [1]

But that is beside the point. It was a genuine question: have you
heard of risk compensation?

[1] British in-joke:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/news/7oclocknews/features/michael_howard_301003.shtml

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:59:31 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's worth wearing one for the protection from flying desbris like
>gravel alone. Why people think their sunglasses are going to protect
>them from a stone that will crack a windshield I don't know.

Mine probably will - they are certified safety glasses with
polycarbonate lenses :)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:07:21 GMT, Chris Phillipo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Methinks James was being a tad sarcastic.

>I thought that until I read the rest of his comments. The guy has
>nothing resembling a sense of humor.

I think you're wrong there. The word "acerbic" springs to mind when
describing James. See
http://ip.bmjjournals.com/cgi/eletters/9/3/266#59

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

in message <[email protected]>, Helen Deborah
Vecht ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Chris Phillipo <[email protected]>typed
>

>> You think heat stroke is some how beneficial?

> Cycle helmets are *said* not to cause this, unlike army helmets, for
> reasons I've never understood...

It's obvious, isn't it? Cycling helmets are made of polystyrene which is
a good heat insulator, whereas army helmets have a hard outer shell and
a separate inner structure, allowing air to circulate freely around the
scalp. Err....

;; Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

> Cycle helmets are *said* not to cause this, unlike army helmets, for
> reasons I've never understood...

Ah, my dear, then you have never worn an army helmet,nor 20lbs of body
armour, in the desert, with a 50lb pack, and an owl, staring at you.
They don't have holes in them , you see, or at least not the ones I wore.
TJ

"terry jones" <[email protected]>typed

> > Cycle helmets are *said* not to cause this, unlike army helmets, for
> > reasons I've never understood...

> Ah, my dear, then you have never worn an army helmet,nor 20lbs of body
> armour, in the desert, with a 50lb pack, and an owl, staring at you.
> They don't have holes in them , you see, or at least not the ones I wore.
> TJ

I accept cycle helmets are vented and army helmets aren't. Vents don't
help much if you're cycling up a hill though...

--

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>
>>Subject: Re: A different look at the helmet debate: was cycling links -
>>From: James Annan <[email protected]>
>>Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent, aus.bicycle, ba.bicycles, bc.cycling, dc.biking, hr.rec.bicycles, nyc.bicycles, uk.rec.cycling
>>
>>Chris Phillipo wrote:
>>

>>>do you think all cyclists should be required to wear
>>>a hard shell full face helmet in order to get the full benifit? That I
>>>would have a problem with.

>>Why? If it saves one life...think of the children...isn't your head
>>worth it?
>>
>>James
>>--
>>

> You think heat stroke is some how beneficial?

FFS, Merkins are just SOOOOOOOO dull-witted. Why do we bother?

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

JohnB wrote:

> Chris Phillipo wrote:

> > > ..and that still doesn't work given the number of head injuries
> > > occupants suffer.

> > I'm assuming you have seen some statistic I haven't?

> Head injury as cause of death for:
> Motor vehicle occupants is 40%;
> Cyclists is 25%;
> Pedestrians is 65%.
> ref:"Death on the Streets" by Robert Davis chapter 11.
>
> So why not helmets for car occupants before cyclists?

The book was written over a decade ago.

At that time, there was FAR more cars WITHOUT airbags
and people still drove WITHOUT shoulder harnesses, ergo,
a lot of head injuries.

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim

VOTE HIM OUT! November 2, 2004

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:34:57 +0900, James Annan
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
> >> A child does not fall with a horizontal speed 22 mph.

> >Certainly not if she is standing still, as in the above anecdote. Did
> >you have a point?

> I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
> energy varies with speed squared.

F=MA.
SIMPLE.
Just like you. ;-)

--

Richard wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>
> > I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
> > energy varies with speed squared.

> ITYM kinetic energy, not potential energy. (gravitational) PE goes as
> height.

F=MA.

--

http://www.bushflash.com/thanks.html
"Bubba got a BJ, BU$H screwed us all!" - Slim
http://www.worldmessenger.20m.com/weapons.html#wms
George "The AWOL President" Bush: http://www.awolbush.com/
WHY IRAQ?: http://www.angelfire.com/creep/gwbush/remindus.html
http://www.toostupidtobepresident.com/shockwave/chickenhawks.htm

"slim" <pickin'[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 19:34:57 +0900, James Annan
> > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >Certainly not if she is standing still, as in the above anecdote. Did
> > >you have a point?

> > I think the point was that "slim" doesn't realise that potential
> > energy varies with speed squared.

> F=MA.
> SIMPLE.
> Just like you. ;-)