Cycling Motivation

DancenMacabre

Jul 17, 2009
Or at the very least that would be cycling's effect on my brain.

I know this isn't some big training tip or question. Please be gentle moderators. This is what some would say, a little rant, a little *****ing - both maybe?

I wonder what is this new little pastime of mine, bike riding doing to me? I haven't been in anything remotely competitive since a 5th grade spelling bee. Don't ask me about that 8th grade swim meet either.

Right in the middle of a hard training session (hard for me, easy for you guys) this tall hipster dude wearing baggy shorts on a fixie just passed me with seemingly little effort. I might have been going 17, maybe 18 mph. I was not gasping but certainly working hard in that level 3 to level 4 border, about 90%. The guy went by me like a speeding bullet and left me in the dust.

Talk about demoralizing - passed by a hipster on a fixie - how embarassing!

Yeah, yeah, I know that it serves me right for being a beginner to get served and shown how inept I am. Plus all of you have prolly been training (hard) since forever. I'm minty green at this sport but am trying harder and training more than I ever have for any sport or physical activity.

Yet, I want to ride past people like that hipster-fixie-guy as if they were standing still. So much faster that they'll just give up right then.

There, I said it.

Now is there a club or support group I can go for this illness I've gotten?

fine, i'll bite but be warned, you're talking to the guy who turned his panaracer 1.9's around on his mtn bike for maximum rolling resisitance and still drafted rigs and dropped roadies. sounds good, doesn't it?

don't lose, ever.

good? good.

Cycling is definitely a rewarding personal growth opportunity. But too many let their ego grow disproportionately to their wattage, so keep it in perspective. Many of us race in order to challenge ourselves and exorcise our competitive streaks, but there's no glory in trashing people who are not racing against you.

Don't become "that guy" who gets his/her jollies from blowing past fixies, little old ladies with their baskets, etc. When you get to that point, slow down and give 'em a friendly greeting instead. While your passion for cycling is helping you grow physically, also let it help you grow into a mature and caring leader within a tight community who share a common interest. Eventually, you'll find that you have far more in common with those folks than the rest of the non-cycling world has in common with us.

DancenMacabre said:
Now is there a club or support group I can go for this illness I've gotten?

Most assuredly. Search the internet for cycling clubs in your area and you'll find folks of all shapes, sizes, and ages who share your new-found passion. :)

frenchyge said:
Cycling is definitely a rewarding personal growth opportunity. But too many let their ego grow......

Well said, anyone who gets out and enjoys the fresh air on 2 wheels is aces in my book ;)
cycling not just racing is on of the fastest growing sports/activities especially in the 30+ age groups,
When l started as a 27yr old l had no intentions of racing, that came later and if l gave up racing l would still enjoy it just as much.

frenchyge said:
Cycling is definitely a rewarding personal growth opportunity. But too many let their ego grow disproportionately to their wattage, so keep it in perspective. Many of us race in order to challenge ourselves and exorcise our competitive streaks, but there's no glory in trashing people who are not racing against you.

Don't become "that guy" who gets his/her jollies from blowing past fixies, little old ladies with their baskets, etc. When you get to that point, slow down and give 'em a friendly greeting instead. While your passion for cycling is helping you grow physically, also let it help you grow into a mature and caring leader within a tight community who share a common interest. Eventually, you'll find that you have far more in common with those folks than the rest of the non-cycling world has in common with us.

Ok ok. So I was kinda exaggerating a little on wanting to harm/intimidate innocent bystanders (only some!).

I did help an older cyclist with directions today so I'm not some sort of gangster on my bicycle you see :)

Piotr said:
Demoralizing? Why? It should motivate you. You will get there. I eat hipsters on fixies for breakfast and so can you. Why? Because they've got their pot, and you've got cyclingforums. :)

Tuesday Humor -- Hipster vs. Bike Racer | 303Cycling

Enjoy.

I LOVE this video :) :)

Yes indeed, I do have cyclingforums and with that, there is hope for me (my performance that is) after all.

DancenMacabre said:
I did help an older cyclist with directions today so I'm not some sort of gangster on my bicycle you see :)

I wasn't implying that you were one, merely suggesting that you not aspire to become one. :)

As the miles go by, you'll be lucky indeed if you don't have the distinct pleasure of being written off or talked down to by another rider because your shorts don't match your jersey, and then you'll know exactly what I mean. ;)

frenchyge said:
I wasn't implying that you were one, merely suggesting that you not aspire to become one. :)

As the miles go by, you'll be lucky indeed if you don't have the distinct pleasure of being written off or talked down to by another rider because your shorts don't match your jersey, and then you'll know exactly what I mean. ;)

Uggh, being down to for cycling fashion? :confused:

Guess I'm big enough to say being unfashionable is fine with me :)

Heh, I know you were kidding. Besides, all i have to do to feel tiny and humble again, is come on this website and read of all virtual power station wattages you guys produce!

Heck, I got passed by a little old blue haired lady riding a unicycle the other day. :eek:

Seriously, I would consider myself a less than average performer and sometimes I even pass people. Who cares? The important thing is that you are out there riding, improving your health, and having fun doing it.

Years ago it was a bit harder to perceive your improvement as you rode your bike, but now we have bike computers that can be purchased for low prices that easily can show us our performance gains.

I don't compete against anyone, but I do like to watch my average speeds increase on the bike computer as the cycling season progresses.

While I can feel that I get stronger during the season, because it's easier to climb hills for instance, I like having the stats on the computer to really show me in black and white how I'm doing.

My helmet doesn't always match my jersey, but I still manage to have fun. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn29DvMITu4"]YouTube - Performance[/ame] - its all about performance :)