Cycling Movies Big List

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Seamus, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003

  2. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

  3. >Okay - own up - who's seen #59!

    >Cheers! Stephen

    59. Spokes (1990?) Pawnographic movie about a cycle courier who has an 'encounter' with every
    package he delivers.

    Is this a film about 101 rude uses of chess when your opponent is a cycle courier? To be watched
    only at knight, and I'm saying nothing about the bishop ...

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. W K

    W K Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Seamus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Now features over 100 movies at...
    > >
    > > http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html
    >
    > I'm sure I've seen a British film comedy where a gang uses the Tour de France to cover their
    > getaway. I don't know the title and can't find any reference to it. Can anyone help?

    even worse then my admission of incompetance with keys... I saw "amelie" this week, and it seemed
    to have a bit from the tour de France that appeared on TV, where there is a horse in the middle of
    the peloton.

    Anyone see that on the coverage and know whether it was the TdF?

  5. Mark Parsons

    Mark Parsons Guest

    two more for the list...

    She's gotta have it - spike lee 1986: spike lee's character plays mars blackmon who rides a road
    bike in new york. i seem to remember him dressed up in full cycling gear even down to a
    campagnolo race cap.

    The vanishing - george sluzier 1988 (original french-dutch film): one of my fave films of all
    time, has a great moment when the main character realises his girlfriend is missing at a petrol
    station and the radio commentary is from the 1986 TdF, and emphasising the battle between lemond
    and hinault.

    > Now features over 100 movies at...
    >
    > http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html
    >

    > --
    > Seamus Byke Kultuur Never at... http://uk.geocities.com/bykekultuur/never.html

  6. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Steve McGinty <[email protected]_DOT_.com> wrote:

    > >Now features over 100 movies at...
    > >
    > >http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html
    >
    > Okay - own up - who's seen #59!

    I've seen

    Le VĂ©lo de Ghislain Lambert (2000)

    and thoroughly enjoyed it , even with my poor French.

    Belgian comedy set in the 70's. Ghislain Lambert, played by Benoit Poelvoorde, born the same day as
    Eddy Merckx, is a Belgian cyclist whose ambition is to become a champion but without much success.
    Antoine de Caunes narrates.

    The above doesn't do it justice, the amphetamine scenes are hilarious with two cyslists in one small
    toilet trying to inject each other in the buttocks whilst Madame waits ouside, listening. One
    cyclist gets a double dose by mistake, and amazes everyone in a criterium by leading fromt the front
    all day ( he a lowly domestique) until he crashes and

    scenes were quite funny as well, and probably familiar to anyone that has toured with any sort
    of club here one roommate has pulled and the other hasn't, although I have never met a lady
    quite so generous.

  7. On 25 Mar 2003 13:14:41 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >>Okay - own up - who's seen #59!
    >>
    >>Cheers! Stephen
    >
    >59. Spokes (1990?) Pawnographic movie about a cycle courier who has an 'encounter' with every
    > package he delivers.
    >
    >Is this a film about 101 rude uses of chess when your opponent is a cycle courier? To be watched
    >only at knight, and I'm saying nothing about the bishop ...
    >
    >Cheers, helen s

    Or could be something to do with the Lone Ranger * having to manage without Silver...

    *(lone arranger... sorry - I'll get me jaiket!)

    Cheers! Stephen

  8. Allen Foster

    Allen Foster Guest

    Anyone know where I could get hold of the film Cyclomania?, it was shown at Spokefest 2002 according
    to the page. I spent last summer working and living in Helsinki and would love to see it.

    Cheers,

    Allen

  9. [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Seamus <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Now features over 100 movies at...
    > >
    > > http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html
    >
    > I'm sure I've seen a British film comedy where a gang uses the Tour de France to cover their
    > getaway. I don't know the title and can't find any reference to it. Can anyone help?

    Hmm. Sounds like a similar concept to another British film where a gang use an international
    sporting event (England vs Italy football match in this case) to cover the getaway; "Hang on a
    minute lads, I've got a great idea....." [1]

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] u.r.c relevance - in said film, Michael Caine manages to black out part of Turin by throwing an
    old "sit up & beg" bike onto an electricity sub-station!

  10. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Thanks Mark and Marc. The site has been updated accordingly.

    Roger the Hilldoger I think had a copy or two of, "Cyclomania," up for sale. His website, with contact details, is at...

    http://www.spokesfest.freeserve.co.uk/

  11. [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >Okay - own up - who's seen #59!
    > >
    > >Cheers! Stephen
    >
    > 59. Spokes (1990?) Pawnographic movie about a cycle courier who has an 'encounter' with every
    > package he delivers.
    >
    > Is this a film about 101 rude uses of chess when your opponent is a cycle courier? To be watched
    > only at knight, and I'm saying nothing about the bishop ...

    Ah, the scope for a chess-based double entendre-fest [1]! We haven't even mentioned openings or
    being taken yet... Right, I'll shut up now - if only to prevent Graham Norton's scriptwriters suing
    me on the grounds of plagiarism!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Or, indeed, any Swiss Toni-type comparisons; "You see, Paul, playing chess is very much like
    making love to a beautiful woman...."