Cycling Movies Big List

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Seamus, Mar 24, 2003.

  1. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003

  2. On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:11:41 -0500, Seamus wrote:

    > Now features over 100 movies at...
    >
    > http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html

    Hey, thanks for the memories and pointers to new films.

    A few comments:

    I thought that Bejing Bicycle was a better film than you portrayed it to be. OK, the plot was
    recycled, but I find it amazing that the Chinese let such a film be produced, showing class
    distinctions as starkly as they did.

    You mentioned 2001 but no specifics. You also mentioned in 2010 a kid on a bent. But I thought
    2010 showed someone (not a kid) on a bent just riding along as the star jogged past -- and what
    was in 2001?

    You missed, for pretty obvious reasons, a few shows featuring bicycles peripherally. The old series
    Seinfeld often showed a Klen mountain bike hanging on Jerry's wall in the background. I don't recall
    he rode it.

    A who-knows-how-recent episode of Will and Grace shows the title twosome and their friend Jack in
    the park. He (Jack) was on his bike. After a bit of meaningless conversation, Jack takes off. The
    other two yell at him "grate!", which me mistakes as a comment on his self, only to crash when he
    rides over the grate.

    There is a developing list of bicycle-themed commercials, most actually detrimental to the activity,
    but a few worth mentioning. Leaving aside the ads we only get during the Tour coverage, the best in
    my estimation is the one for the Nissan Xterra of the bleeding mountain-biker using the first-aid
    kit that comes with the car to fix his saddle. Then he just drops out of view at the end of the ad.
    The worst is the deodorant ad showing two guys stretching something across the road in front of a
    pack of riders.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  3. Seamus

    Seamus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2003
    Thanks for the comments David.

    >Bejing Bicycle.
    Most of what I wrote was when the List was young and I’ll admit to being a bit glib about it. The second paragraph is by a German contributor who saw it on the TV.

    >You mentioned 2001 but no specifics.
    HAL sings, “Daisy Bell.” Do you not know the song?

    >You also mentioned in 2010 a kid on a bent.
    Several contributors assure me it was the jogging man’s son on the recumbent alongside.

    >Seinfeld often showed a Klein mountain bike hanging on Jerry's >wall in the background. I don't recall he rode it.
    Several contributors mentioned that to me recently. I saw the show a few times and I think I remember seeing the bike on the wall.

  4. Karen M.

    Karen M. Guest

    Seamus wrote:
    > Now features over 100 movies at...
    >
    > http://uk.geocities.com/mikstar123/films.html

    "Brainstorm" has much more bicycle/recumbent content than is described in the review. A Skid-Lid
    helmet (remember those??) plays an integral part in the development of the virtual reality
    equipment.

    --Karen M.

  5. "Tweleve O'clock High" with Gregory Peck, shows the old guy Harvey riding what looks like an old
    Raleigh roadster to the airfield he was stationed at in England. I love those old three-speeds.