cycling multitool

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Apr 25, 2003.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool? I think there's a brand called Toppeak which is on the market. Anyone have any views on this or other ones out there? What do they come with?

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool? I think there's a brand called Toppeak which is on the
    > market. Anyone have any views on this or other ones out there? What do they come with?

    My Topeak Power 16 has kept me on the road for probably 5 years now and still looks like new.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/product_detail.asp?ProdID=5220000066

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  3. I've several multitools, Topeak Alien, Cooltool, and at least three others. The best in terms of
    function and durability is undoubtedly the Cooltool, though its tools are limited. In some of the
    others you will find that their tool is award or impossible to use on parts of your bike.

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote in news:3ea9a1ff$1_1 @news.chariot.net.au:

    > Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool? I think there's a brand called Toppeak which is on the
    > market. Anyone have any views on this or other ones out there? What do they come with?

    I've kind of given up on my Topeak Alien multi-tool. It has 90% of things you're likely to need, but
    the quality of each individual tool is not great. I've pretty much swapped to using a decent 6"
    Bacho adjustable spanner, a couple of allen keys (you'll only have one or two different sizes on
    your bike), a chain tool and one of those fancy penknives with a pair of pliers in it (you can get
    cheapo ones for about 5-8 quid). Plus the obvious puncture repair stuff.

    Yes, this weighs more than a multi-tool, but I've had multi-tools bend/snap before. I tend to be the
    one who ends up fixing friends' bikes at the start of a ride and mid-ride and I don't think there's
    anything likely to go wrong that I couldn't at least do a kludge fix with.

    Another problem with multi-tools is the spanners are often thin ring spanners. A friend had the
    hydraulic brake pipe come loose and the only way to tighten it with a ring spanner would be to take
    it off completely, thread the spanner on, tighten it up and then leave the entire multi-tool
    dangling from the cable. An open ended adjustable is much more flexible.

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Speaking as a utility cyclist, not an ounce-counting roadie,
    *
    > I don't use a multitool. My Park chain tool is very good, and the only chain tool I have; it lives
    > in my on-the-bike toolbag. Ditto the set of Allen keys which includes one size I need for the
    > 'bent and haven't seen on any multitool, and an excellent pair of 1950s WD Surplus snipe-nose
    > pliers, which work ten times better than the alleged pliers in any multitool I've ever used. By
    > the time I've assembled my small set of favourite "fits your hand" tools I've covered all the bits
    > of the multitool :)

    Oh good, I've found a reply today from Guy that I agree with :)

    I've looked at various multitools with interest but have failed to find anything that would work as
    well or weigh much less* than the collection of individual tools I carry.

    * I do like to save grams but multitools aren't all that light anyway - at least not the ones with
    all the features I need. That's usually because they have a load of features I DON'T need!

    ~PB

  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    > On 26 Apr 2003 06:30:47 +0950, dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool? I think there's a brand called Toppeak which is on the
    > >market. Anyone have any views on this or other ones out there? What do they come with?
    >
    > Speaking as a utility cyclist, not an ounce-counting roadie, I don't use a multitool. My Park
    > chain tool is very good, and the only chain tool I have; it lives in my on-the-bike toolbag. Ditto
    > the set of Allen keys which includes one size I need for the 'bent and haven't seen on any
    > multitool, and an excellent pair of 1950s WD Surplus snipe-nose pliers, which work ten times
    > better than the alleged pliers in any multitool I've ever used. By the time I've assembled my
    > small set of favourite "fits your hand" tools I've covered all the bits of the multitool :)

    What do you use snipe-nose pliers for?

  7. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > > Speaking as a utility cyclist, not an ounce-counting roadie,
    > *
    > > I don't use a multitool. My Park chain tool is very good, and the only chain tool I have; it
    > > lives in my on-the-bike toolbag. Ditto the set of Allen keys which includes one size I need for
    > > the 'bent and haven't seen on any multitool, and an excellent pair of 1950s WD Surplus
    > > snipe-nose pliers, which work ten times better than the alleged pliers in any multitool I've
    > > ever used. By the time I've assembled my small set of favourite "fits your hand" tools I've
    > > covered all the bits of the multitool :)
    >
    > Oh good, I've found a reply today from Guy that I agree with :)
    >
    > I've looked at various multitools with interest but have failed to find anything that would work
    > as well or weigh much less* than the collection of individual tools I carry.
    >
    > * I do like to save grams but multitools aren't all that light anyway - at least not the ones with
    > all the features I need. That's usually because they have a load of features I DON'T need!

    I found in Cotswold Camping what they called a "Swiss Tool" ( I believe from Victorinox), which is a
    steel bar about the size of a 7mm allen key with a socket for a screwdriver bit on each end. With a
    full selection of 10 bits in the clip-on holder, and a Park chain tool and 8/10mm ring spanner, it's
    still lighter & smaller than an Alien. I haven't found an 8mm allen bit yet, but everything else I
    want is there, and easier to use than an Alien. If there's something odd that you want (In my case a
    T20), it's just a matter of obtaining the appropriate screwdriver bit.

    Andrew

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote:
    > I found in Cotswold Camping what they called a "Swiss Tool" ( I believe from Victorinox), which is
    > a steel bar about the size of a 7mm allen key with a socket for a screwdriver bit on each end.
    > With a full selection of 10 bits in the clip-on holder, and a Park chain tool and 8/10mm ring
    > spanner, it's still lighter & smaller than an Alien. I haven't found an 8mm allen bit yet, but
    > everything else I want is there, and easier to use than an Alien. If there's something odd that
    > you want (In my case a T20), it's just a matter of obtaining the appropriate screwdriver bit.

    I can't find the tool that matches that description on the web now; the "Swiss Tool" seems something
    different (with a load of pen knifey features). But that type of thing tends not to work as well as
    ordinary 'L'-shape allen keys or small screwdriver - because of the bulk or awkward shape, or
    insufficient leverage.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [SwissTool]

    Found it now.... http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produkte/index.htm - SwissTool Plus with
    wrench and bits. Looks promising (not too bulky). Thanks for mentioning it.

    Anyone know if the wrench be bought separately? Or does anyone else make a similar tool?

    Are there "allen key" male hex bits and available to fit? Does the tool take standard size bits
    (what standard?)?

    cheers ~PB

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 11:49:28 +0000 (UTC), "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What do you use snipe-nose pliers for?

    Releasing the SRAM powerlinks, any small electrical repairs, zipping up emergency zip ties, that
    sort of thing. I suppose I could do without, but they are so useful when I do want them that it's
    not worth the weight saving IMO. Said the man who recently upgraded to an XTR mech...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  11. dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool? I think there's a brand called Toppeak which is on the
    > market. Anyone have any views on this or other ones out there? What do they come with?

    I've got a TopPeak Alien. It gets used more for workshop jobs than on the road, and the tyre levers
    are a pain to use, so I end up taking separate ones anyway. I think RRP is too high, but I paid a
    lot less than that so I don't mind. It's too big and heavy to carry on short road rides, and takes
    up too much space in the wedge bag. The knife comes in useful for picking bits of glass out of the
    tyre after puctures.

    But generally, now that I've got used to the bikes, and what they need, I tend to take just the
    tools I think might be useful. They fit in my wife's old beaded purse, which causes merriment on
    club runs.

    SteveP

  12. Andy Dingley

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 26 Apr 2003 06:30:47 +0950, dannyfrankszzz <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a cycling multitool?

    Cooltool. It's not the only good design, but it's the only one that isn't made out of cheese.

    There's also room in its pouch for a couple of Park levers, a couple of patches and the little Allen
    for the canti straddle.

  13. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [SwissTool]
    >
    > Found it now.... http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produkte/index.htm - SwissTool Plus with
    > wrench and bits. Looks promising (not too bulky). Thanks for mentioning it.
    >
    > Anyone know if the wrench be bought separately? Or does anyone else make a similar tool?
    >
    > Are there "allen key" male hex bits and available to fit? Does the tool take standard size bits
    > (what standard?)?

    I got the just the wrench with bits for about £12 (ish) from the South Cerney branch of Cotswold
    Camping about a year ago. As far as I can make out it's never been in either the printed catalogue
    or the website - just the display cabinet. "Swiss Tool" was what it said on the price label, but I
    was aware on the Leatherman clone, hence the quotes in my orignal post.

    The bits are the same standard size (1/4 inch hex) as on all power screwdrivers etc, and are
    available in sets from DIY, tool shops, Maplins etc. I have 2-6mm allen bits, torx T10-T40, sockets
    5-11mm, assorted flat, philips and pozidrive screw and drill bits. I have seen sets with all sorts
    of odd "security" fittings - square, 5-sided, torx with a pin in the middle etc etc, if you want to
    find wierd bolts to make sure no-one pinches your parts.

    All I'm really missing is the 8mm allen bit for the crank bolts. A 4mm ball-ended allen bit would
    also be handy for where my rack bolts onto the insides of the seatstays, as the wrench + bit is
    slightly too long to fit
    in.

    Andrew