cycling new york city?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by mattt, Dec 10, 2003.

1. mattt

mattt New Member

hi there.

i'm currently living most of my days of the week in manhattan and am finding it tough to find good places to ride. central park is usually my first choice, although the stresses of having to deal with cars and some inconsiderate people shows me how much i need to get out of there. second, i might go to the hudson river greenway, but my qualms with that aren't that cars, but the people, although some intersections downtown are very dangerous. i can't blame people for wanting to take a leisurely pace, taking the hudson river in in all of its glory, but there are many accidents waiting to happen with inconsiderate people.

i was thinking of going over the gwb to new jersey but have no idea where i'd go after i cross the bridge.

any ideas from you nyc cyclists out there?

thanks!

-matt

Tags:

2. Alnamvet

Alnamvet New Member

;)

3. AvgTdFsizeguy

AvgTdFsizeguy New Member

My favorite route from my apt (Wash. Sq.) to the GWB and points North is up the West Side trail from Christopher St. (can't go fast because of all the pedestrians, tourists, etc. especially around the Circle Line, but that makes for a decent warm-up) all the way to the 79th St. Boat Basin where you get on Riverside Drive. It's wide enough and traffic isn't bad and you can start to open up because the lights are fairly coordinated. Stay on Riverside to 165th and go Right up the hill (short and steep!) 1 block and turn Left on Fort Washington Ave. You'll pass by the Columbia Med. Ctr. where there's always lots of traffic but it doesn't last more than a couple of blocks. It continues uphill (because you're heading towards the highest natural point on Manhattan). Go Left on 177th St. and down 2 short blocks and take a left on Cabrini Blvd. Stay in the left lane because you're going to turn left on the sidewalk at the end of the block. You'll see the walkway spiral up toward the bridge. Just ride up but look out for glass. If you're feeling like a long ride just cross over and take your first right and follow (Hudson Terrace) North (it's parallel to the river) for a couple miles to the end and turn left on E. Palisade Ave. This will take you to 9W. Turn left and go as far as you want because you won't find a better road for distance riding in the tri-state area. It's fairly wide and after a few miles there's a very nice wide shoulder that's reserved as a bike lane. Go up about 9 miles and you'll reach Palisades Park (Right turn) that has a wicked winding 1.2 mile descent. It's easy to get up to 45mph but there are plenty of deer (because there's not much traffic on the road) that seem to plant themselves right after blind turns. Turn to the left at the parking area and continue down to the water and the end of the road or keep right and continue on River Road (road surface isn't too good in places). I usually go left and take a break. It's about 20 miles from my home and a good place to have a snack and enjoy a beautiful view of the Hudson. There's a couple drink vending machines and a fountain so I don't have to pack more than a couple bottles and a power bar in the summer. Turn around, notice the really high and steep cliffs in front of you, and climb the mini Alpe D'uez! Once you come over the Bridge, go Right up the street you came down before (you'll be going the wrong way but this really is the established bike route so don't worry) and take another Right on 177th and follow the bike route you'll se on the Left side of the road. This will go back down to Fort Washington Ave. by the Med Ctr. and you'll go Right down towards 165th St. At the bottom you'll turn Left on Riverside Dr. I prefer staying on Riverside until 79th simply because I can go faster and traffic isn't bad at all. I love this route and it's especially beautiful in the summer. Once you're in Jersey you'd never know you're so close to the city. Of course it sucks dealing with the traffic in the city when you return but I think it's worth it. I just take it easy in town and use it as a chance to warm down. Plus, it feels great knowing you've just ridden in the most challenging urban area in the country. BTW, if you're up to it, just keep going to Nyack or Bear Mountain. There are absolutely great stretches of road up there!

4. mattt

mattt New Member

ah wow! great responses!

thanks so much...

Alnamvet: i'll give that a try :D thanks!

Stiff Upper Lip: looks like a great organization, unfortunately though it's a little bit too far out of my reach (30 miles to get to the meeting points) :(, but thanks a lot.

AvgTdFsizeguy: that sounds like an amazing ride! i really can't wait to try it. the weather is bad out so that may delay me in my journey, but hopefully, within the next week or two and before it gets real cold i'll give it a shot. how'd you find that route? a website, or did you just explore? do you know of any good maps of the area you're talking about, either online or in print?

thanks everyone!

any other ideas welcome :)

5. AvgTdFsizeguy

AvgTdFsizeguy New Member

Matt,

Try this site: http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/nyc/bike_info/

It seems to cover just about any NY riding question. It took me a few years of riding around and living in different neighborhoods to figure out my routes. I wish I'd had that website.

You can download a PDF of NYC bike routes here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/trans_maps/bikeroute.html

Hopefully it won't get too cold too soon but the weather definitely hasn't been too pleasant lately. Those Kreitlers I bought don't seem so expensive now!