Cycling newbie looking for advice

Andekj

Aug 9, 2007
Hey everybody. I'm looking to get into cycling a little more. It's always been something I've liked to do casually, but now I'm wanting to make it more of a hobby.

I'm looking for something in the 500-600 dollar range I think. I'll be riding mostly roads, but I don't want to limit myself so much as buying a pure road bike.

If anyone has any reccomendations along those lines, or if I can give more information that may help with giving advice, let me know. Thanks in advance :)

Andekj said:
Hey everybody. I'm looking to get into cycling a little more. It's always been something I've liked to do casually, but now I'm wanting to make it more of a hobby.

I'm looking for something in the 500-600 dollar range I think. I'll be riding mostly roads, but I don't want to limit myself so much as buying a pure road bike.

If anyone has any reccomendations along those lines, or if I can give more information that may help with giving advice, let me know. Thanks in advance :)
My thoughts:
For that price you can get a VERY good hybrid OR an entry level straight bar "Sport" road frame (relaxed geometry), aluminum frame. It really depends on how much/type of riding you're going to do. Hybrids are great for casual, occasional off-road, fitness, medium distance (20-30 miles). Relaxed geometry are more comfortable than "race road bikes", lighter and faster, than hybrids, suitable for longer distances, (no Off-road riding) more serious training and touring. You can get them with straight handlebars or standard road bars. Above all, make sure the bike "fits". Spend the time and have it fitted. When I got started, I had NO IDEA of the level of fit you can achieve within a standard "factory build" (frame size, stem length/angle, seat height/tilt, seat distance to handlebars, handlebar size, handlebar tilt, pedal crank length). A good LBS will provide all of this and even "swap" parts to get you fitted and will also replace items you don't want after you've riden the bike for a while (My LBS has a "full satisfaction" policy) (some brands I would suggest are: Giant, Cannondale, Trex, Scatante, Fuji, Schwinn)
Make sure you get the best component group within that price category. (research the web sites for Shimano and Campagnolo and become familiar with their quality levels)
After you've narrowed down your choices look up reviews on the web and see what other people have to say about the bike you're considering.
Enjoy! (actually, the best part about buying a new bike is the "process")