Cycling newbie?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tasslehoff, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Tasslehoff

    Tasslehoff Guest

    What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in my
    balls and tackle area. Ta.

    Tags:

  2. >What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in my
    >balls and tackle area. Ta.

    It may be the saddle on your bike is incorrect for you - consider changing it.
    Also check positioning and angle of saddle. Wear padded cycling shorts
    (underneath trousers if you don't like Lycra being visible)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:03:14 +1000, "Tasslehoff"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in my
    >balls and tackle area. Ta.

    Buy a car and then exceed the speed limit. Guy will then cut your
    goolies off.

    Rich x

  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Tasslehoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in

    my
    > balls and tackle area. Ta.

    Make sure the seat height is correct (heal on the pedal, leg straight but
    not locked at lowest point of the pedal circuit -- then adjust slightly for
    comfort. Too low knackers your knees (and wedding tackle!!) -- too high
    means your hips will rock while cycling and you will over reach).

    Set the saddle level -- or very slightly nose down.

    Set the saddle back or forward on its rails for the best comfort.

    (Note -- these three need to be done together as they all influence the
    'best' position)

    Move the handle bars an inch or so below the saddle.

    If that lot fails look at Sheldon Brown's web site (Google for it as I don't
    have the link to hand).

    Change the saddle for one with a cut out or fart hole (so your delicate bits
    don't have anything to hit.

    Stand up every few minutes to let the blood flow when cycling.

    Don't read the Daily Mail as you might get scared.

  5. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in my
    >balls and tackle area. Ta.

    If you are not already, you should use cycling shorts, they have
    padding in just the right place to help alleviate such problems.

    Also, you could try swapping your saddle. We are all differently
    shaped and you'll find that some saddles suit your particular arse
    better than others. It's possible that the one you are currently using
    just doesn't suit you and this is why you are experiencing numbness
    after only 40 minutes.

    Finally, it will help greatly if you get up out of the saddle for a
    minute or two every now and then whilst out on a ride. Standing on the
    pedals and cycling upright completely relieves the pressure from your
    undercarriage and gets the blood flowing to all your bits. Get into
    the habit of doing this regularly.

    There is also the ultimate option of buying a recumbent. An undeniably
    attractive solution, but one that will likely involve at least £1500.
    Not to mention the silly black suit, flappy cape and deep breathy
    voice you will be required to develop.
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Call me Bob wrote:

    > Finally, it will help greatly if you get up out of the saddle for a
    > minute or two every now and then whilst out on a ride. Standing on the
    > pedals and cycling upright completely relieves the pressure from your
    > undercarriage and gets the blood flowing to all your bits. Get into
    > the habit of doing this regularly.

    Never bother doing this on my uprights these days, and don't suffer for
    it either. Having said that my saddles (all Brooks) fit me well and are
    positioned just right for me, and mucho faffing with different tilts,
    fore/aft positioning and height is what got them that way.

    > There is also the ultimate option of buying a recumbent. An undeniably
    > attractive solution, but one that will likely involve at least £1500.

    My first 'bent was a s/h Orbit Crystal which set me back £250.
    Something like a Streetmachine with extras will be £1,500+, granted, but
    OTOH that is not exactly starting in the "Popular Plus" area!

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  7. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "Tasslehoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in
    > my balls and tackle area. Ta.

    It's perfectly acceptable to massage your balls in public. Rather than cycle
    through red lights, stop and massage vigorously.

  8. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:09:34 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >> What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in
    >> my balls and tackle area. Ta.

    >It's perfectly acceptable to massage your balls in public. Rather than cycle
    >through red lights, stop and massage vigorously.

    Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....
    --

    "Bob"

    'The people have spoken, the bastards'

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  9. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:46:36 GMT, Call me Bob
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:09:34 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling
    >>> in
    >>> my balls and tackle area. Ta.

    >> It's perfectly acceptable to massage your balls in public. Rather than
    >> cycle
    >> through red lights, stop and massage vigorously.

    > Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....

    You weren't meant to massage *that* vigorously!

    Colin

  10. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    :>
    :> Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....

    : You weren't meant to massage *that* vigorously!

    Bugger. There goes mine as well. Tea everywhere.

    "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph.
    They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien

  11. >:> Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....

    >: You weren't meant to massage *that* vigorously!
    >
    >Bugger. There goes mine as well. Tea everywhere.

    Tea??? Methinks you need to see a doctor...

    Cheers, helen s

  12. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    wrote:

    >"Tasslehoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in
    >> my balls and tackle area. Ta.

    >It's perfectly acceptable to massage your balls in public. Rather than cycle
    >through red lights, stop and massage vigorously.

    And for a finale, allow the front of the saddle to snag the back of
    the shorts as you re-mount for that stunning full-moon at following
    traffic.

  13. Tasslehoff

    Tasslehoff Guest

    Okay thanks for the replies everyone. I think thats all I need to know for
    now.:/)

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > >:> Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....
    >>
    >>: You weren't meant to massage *that* vigorously!
    >>
    >>Bugger. There goes mine as well. Tea everywhere.

    > Tea??? Methinks you need to see a doctor...
    >
    > Cheers, helen s
    >

    > --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam--
    > to get correct one remove fame & fortune
    > h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*[email protected]$*a$o*l.c**$om$
    >
    > --Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched
    > off--

  14. Call me Bob <[email protected]>typed

    > Finally, it will help greatly if you get up out of the saddle for a
    > minute or two every now and then whilst out on a ride. Standing on the
    > pedals and cycling upright completely relieves the pressure from your
    > undercarriage and gets the blood flowing to all your bits. Get into
    > the habit of doing this regularly.

    Try especially to get off the saddle when cycling over bumpy ground and
    potholes so your saddle doesn't pound your tackle.

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  15. [email protected]omcom (dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers)typed

    > >:> Right, well that'll be me ordering a new keyboard then....
    > >
    > >: You weren't meant to massage *that* vigorously!
    > >
    > >Bugger. There goes mine as well. Tea everywhere.

    > Tea??? Methinks you need to see a doctor...

    CLOFF!!!

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  16. "Tasslehoff" <[email protected]>typed

    > Okay thanks for the replies everyone. I think thats all I need to know for
    > now.:/)

    Nah, we can talk about bollocks for a l-o-n-g time...

    Welcome to uk.rec.cycling. Hope you enjoy it!

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  17. soup

    soup Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht popped their head over the parapet saw what was
    going on and said

    > Nah, we can talk about bollocks for a l-o-n-g time...

    Talk about or just talk ? :eek:)

    --
    yours S

  18. On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:03:23 +0100, Helen Deborah Vecht
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Tasslehoff" <[email protected]>typed
    >

    >> Okay thanks for the replies everyone. I think thats all I need to know for
    >> now.:/)

    >Nah, we can talk about bollocks for a l-o-n-g time...
    >
    >Welcome to uk.rec.cycling. Hope you enjoy it!

    The word "about" is optional.

  19. Tasslehoff wrote:

    > What can I do to cycle for more than 40 minutes without losing feeling in my
    > balls and tackle area. Ta.

    1) Wear cycle shorts
    2) Try a different saddle - the hardest ones, paradoxically, can be more
    comfortable.
    3) Put you handlebars lower.