cycling news article. Is this correct?

MPCRUSHER

Aug 2, 2005
In the report of stage 1 of the Giro on cyclingnews.com the reporter is giving a rundown on some of the riders and in particular some of the previous winners performances. He also offers some predictions. From what I know about training, and in particular from using the performance management chart (PMC) in WKO+, I think the writer may be a little off the mark.

The following is taken from the article

The teams of previous Giro champions Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes-Farnese Vini, 4th at 22 seconds), Ivan Basso (Liquigas, 8th at 40 seconds), and Damiano Cunego (Lampre, 9th at 42 seconds) can return to the Italian mainland Sunday with confidence.

While they were not the winners of two years ago - after all, they're not the same team when he took the 2007 edition - the 33-year-old Di Luca and co. are clearly in good enough form to fight in this crucial first week, where this 21-stage, 3,456.5 kilometre test can well be lost, even if it isn't won.

Basso, a much-improved climber-cum-time trialist before being handed a two two-year suspension for his involvement in Operación Puerto, will probably fare better alone without his team in the following two individual time trials. With his comparative lack of race fitness, one can only see the 31-year-old grow stronger as the days unfold.

The bolded area is what confuses me.

If Basso has a lack of race fitness then how will he grow stronger as he piles on the miles and intensity of a grand tour. As he accumulates huge daily TSS numbers, his fitness will improve significantly but his freshness will be diminished substantially. He won't get noticeably stronger until he has an opportunity to trade in some of his CTL for some Freshness and this certainly won't be happenning during the giro.

am I reading this incorrectly or is it possible to come into a grand tour lacking some fitness and get stronger toward the end?

Lack of 'race' fitness.

Most likely just ********.

But, he's not doubt done massive training, so big CTL and high threshold but not as much racing, s as the race progresses he will get used to the speed and snappyness of racing compared to training but not loose too much freshness as he would/should have been training the house down..

my take..only a guess at what they are trying to convey..

Jono L said:
Lack of 'race' fitness.

Most likely just ********.

But, he's not doubt done massive training, so big CTL and high threshold but not as much racing, s as the race progresses he will get used to the speed and snappyness of racing compared to training but not loose too much freshness as he would/should have been training the house down..

my take..only a guess at what they are trying to convey..
ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd