cycling news item

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie

While riding home tonight, I noticed the Fraser River was full of harbour seals and also a few sea
lions. I feel sorry to be so out of touch. It is probably an oolichan run going on. Did not see any
porpoises. Ours are little black guys without the longer "porpoise" nose. Any feedback? A Happy
Springtime to You! Best regards, Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:
> While riding home tonight, I noticed the Fraser River was full of harbour seals and also a few
> sea lions.

Maybe they were trying to escape that shrill sonar testing by the American Navy destroyer out in
Haro Strait. The TV news had an item about it, disorienting nearby orcas.

> I feel sorry to be so out of touch. It is probably an oolichan run going on.

Mmmmm ... oolichans. I gotta get me some, and throw a li'l fish fry. I bet they're loaded with
omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamin D -- which I think can be good stuff in a temperate-climate
cyclist's diet.

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

I'm all in favor of turning this group into rec.bicycles.critters . For sure, these little oolichan
candlefish have beaucoup omega-3, as they have more oil than any kind of fish. I'd like to know, if
anyone has personally lit one, to serve as a reading lamp? And to swerve back on topic, has anyone
squeezed one to oil a chain?

Steve McDonald

Steve McDonald wrote:
> I'm all in favor of turning this group into rec.bicycles.critters . For sure, these little
> oolichan candlefish have beaucoup omega-3, as they have more oil than any kind of fish. I'd
> like to know, if anyone has personally lit one, to serve as a reading lamp? And to swerve
> back on topic, has anyone squeezed one to oil a chain?
>
> Steve McDonald
>

Fishy chains would make you a 'Cat 2' rider in no time.

- Brian "meow" Huntley

Brian Huntley wrote:

> Steve McDonald wrote:
> > I'm all in favor of turning this group into rec.bicycles.critters . For sure, these little
> > oolichan candlefish have beaucoup omega-3, as they have more oil than any kind of fish. I'd
> > like to know, if anyone has personally lit one, to serve as a reading lamp? And to swerve
> > back on topic, has anyone squeezed one to oil a chain?
> >
> > Steve McDonald
> >
>
> Fishy chains would make you a 'Cat 2' rider in no time.
>
> - Brian "meow" Huntley

Good point! Last time I cooked oolichans, there was a chain of cats interested in what was going on.

In article <[email protected]>, Bernie <[email protected]> writes:

> Good point! Last time I cooked oolichans, there was a chain of cats interested in what was
> going on.

I realize this is way OT, but I'm desparately pressed -- where can I buy some? Other than Granville
Island (I have enemies living there, that I prefer to avoid).

Steve (and others) -- please, please, forgive me this off-topic post.

After all, I didn't bug ya about your suggesting to fix-up a beater for a first bike (which I
actually thought was a good idea).

But I /must/ get oolichans. My brother used to bring me a bucketful every now & then, when he was
living up in Mission. But now he's moved further out, to Savonah, and I'm out of touch with the
remnants of the ol' family.

I *need* the damn things. It's a most powerful hankerin'. Y'know what I mean? Y'all understand? I'm
savilating right now, just from thinkin' about 'em.

So, where can one buy some?

Aacchh! With my luck, there'll be a sale at Westminster Quay -- on the same day I get called back
into work.

cheers, & have mercy on me, Tom

--