Cycling News quote of the day

[email protected] writes:

> On Jul 12, 9:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Robert Hunter: "Obliviously it is good to be in the Tour this year and
>> just, basically, racing for myself."
>>
>> http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07...
>>
>> -ilan

> The actual quote of the day:
> "Europeans [would always] have problems with the musette. They have no
> hand-eye coordination. It's a foot continent."--Bob Roll

Happiness is not having to listen to an Uncouth Idiot like Roll

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
-

On Jul 13, 1:31 am, Davey Crockett <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] writes:
> > On Jul 12, 9:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> Robert Hunter: "Obliviously it is good to be in the Tour this year and
> >> just, basically, racing for myself."

> >>http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007/tour07/news/?id=/news/2007/jul07...

> >> -ilan

> > The actual quote of the day:
> > "Europeans [would always] have problems with the musette. They have no
> > hand-eye coordination. It's a foot continent."--Bob Roll

> Happiness is not having to listen to an Uncouth Idiot like Roll
>
> --
> Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
> -
> You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your
> reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live.
> - George Bernard Shaw

Wait, it's actually:
"We will have a Tour of America. But it'll have to wait until gasoline
runs out."
Also Bob Roll.

BTW, does anyone know what actually brought down Vinokourov? No
explanations in print yet, it seems.--SK

> BTW, does anyone know what actually brought down Vinokourov? No
> explanations in print yet, it seems.--SK

Gravity.

(Sorry...)

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> writes:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> BTW, does anyone know what actually brought down Vinokourov? No
>> explanations in print yet, it seems.--SK

It was race favourite Alexandre Vinokourov's turn to
hit the tarmac, apparently after colliding with a following
vehicle. He shakes his fists in frustration and replays show a nasty
graze to the right buttock, which looks like it will be exposed for
the rest of the stage. Wegelius to the front of the pack again as they
pop under the 25km banner.

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
-
Capitalism means the Corporations enslave the People,
Communism means the State enslaves the People.

[email protected] schreef:
> BTW, does anyone know what actually brought down Vinokourov? No
> explanations in print yet, it seems.--SK

I'm curious as well. A camera bike crashed near him and Vino was making
mad gestures at something/someone. Perhaps he got clipped by the motobike?

--
E. Dronkert

in message <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (' [email protected]') wrote:

> BTW, does anyone know what actually brought down Vinokourov? No
> explanations in print yet, it seems.--SK

Chain came off and jammed, at speed. When his bike was picked up the chain
was off at the front, and when Vino was asked at the finish he just said
tersely (in French) 'my chain came off'. But his teammate was able to get
it back on just by lifting the back of the bike and spinning the pedals,
so the rear mech had not jammed. I assume the chain had gone down the
inside and caught between the chainset and the BB, although it wasn't
clear from the TV pictures whether it was off on the inside or off on the
outside - still, I find it hard to believe that a chain off on the outside
would bring down a rider of Vino's quality. You can usually pedal through
that.

[ This .sig intentionally left blank ]

On Jul 13, 12:08 am, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
> I find it hard to believe that a chain off on the outside
> would bring down a rider of Vino's quality. You can usually pedal through
> that.

Dumbass -

If he was standing up on the pedals and putting his weight on the
downstroke when it came off . . .

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

in message <[email protected]>, Kurgan
Gringioni ('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Jul 13, 12:08 am, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I find it hard to believe that a chain off on the outside
>> would bring down a rider of Vino's quality. You can usually pedal
>> through that.

> If he was standing up on the pedals and putting his weight on the
> downstroke when it came off . . .

Ouch. Yes, there is that - although in my experience you normally only drop
the chain when changing at the front, and... well, maybe these guys do
have the strength and confidence to do that routinely.

Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.

On Jul 13, 4:18 am, Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 13, 12:08 am, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I find it hard to believe that a chain off on the outside
> > would bring down a rider of Vino's quality. You can usually pedal through
> > that.

> Dumbass -
>
> If he was standing up on the pedals and putting his weight on the
> downstroke when it came off . . .
>
> thanks,
>
> K. Gringioni.

Exactement, dumbassez. From cyclingnews:

Vinokourov blamed the crash, which came on a fast descent with 26
kilometres left in the fifth stage to Autun, on a mechanical,
explaining, "I think that my chain skipped, and as a result I lost my
balance." His long, tense chase to the finish was made more difficult
by the category three Côte de la Croix de la Libération just 8.5
kilometres from the end. "If the finale of the stage had been flat
there would have been no problem [getting back -ed]."

This has been the cause of most of my "single vehicle accidents" on
the bike -- losing traction on the back wheel while standing will
bring you down quick for the same reason -- suddenly there's no
resistance where you expected there would be some.--Shayana Kadidal