cycling night on bbc 4

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by flembo, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. flembo

    flembo Guest

    Tags:

  2. flembo wrote:

    > monday 2nd august - bbc four

    May require cable (ends 20ft from my house and provider will not extend it),
    satellite (reception unacceptably poor in my location) or digital
    terrestrial (requires 20ft extension pole and world's largest dipole array
    to get intermittent reception where I live).

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  3. davek

    davek Guest

    flembo wrote:
    > monday 2nd august - bbc four
    > 8:30 pm A Day Out
    > 9:20 pm A Sunday in Hell: Storyville
    > http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentaries/storyville/sunday-in-hell.shtml
    > 11:05 pm Belleville Rendezvous
    > 12:20 am A Sunday in Hell: Storyville

    Wot no Jacques Tati? :(

    Anyway, the first programme is an Alan Bennett play and is supposed to
    be very good. A Sunday in Hell sounds well worth watching too. I've
    already got Belleville Rendezvous on DVD - if anyone hasn't seen it yet,
    it's essential viewing, one of my favourite new films of the last few
    years (and not just for the cycling content).

    d.

  4. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > flembo wrote:
    >

    >>monday 2nd august - bbc four

    > May require cable (ends 20ft from my house and provider will not extend it),
    > satellite (reception unacceptably poor in my location) or digital
    > terrestrial (requires 20ft extension pole and world's largest dipole array
    > to get intermittent reception where I live).

    You're joking, surely? You can get satellite just the same anywhere in
    the UK, except maybe the Outer Hebrides.

  5. Tumbleweed

    Tumbleweed Guest

    "Zog The Undeniable" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > > flembo wrote:
    > >

    > >>monday 2nd august - bbc four

    > > May require cable (ends 20ft from my house and provider will not extend

    it),
    > > satellite (reception unacceptably poor in my location) or digital
    > > terrestrial (requires 20ft extension pole and world's largest dipole

    array
    > > to get intermittent reception where I live).

    > You're joking, surely? You can get satellite just the same anywhere in
    > the UK, except maybe the Outer Hebrides.

    Not at all, OP may be near side of hill / have lot of trees in blocking
    position. I know someone who is in both of these positions (lives at bottom
    of wooded hill), he cannot get Sky without spending a huge amount of money
    for large extension cable to spot about 500ft away, high satellite mount and
    possibly clearing trees.

    --
    Tumbleweed

    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  6. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    I thought this film was very poor, very cheesy and a little patronising. Great to see the footage of The Cannibal.

    Nicknames. Has mass media removed the romance from pro-cycling ? We used to have The Cannibal, The Badger and other nicknames based on riders performances, temprement and ability. I know of few nicknames for riders these days, even a few years ago we only had ones based on riders names such as Dudu, Jaja, Cheppe, Wookie (I don't know why he was known as Wookie). OK we have The Kaiser.

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    MSeries wrote:
    > Nicknames. Has mass media removed the romance from pro-cycling ? We
    > used to have The Cannibal, The Badger and other nicknames based on
    > riders performances, temprement and ability.

    Until very recently we had the Pirate. :(

    Does Dangermouse count?

    > OK we have The Kaiser.

    I hadn't heard that one until this year's Tour - is it of recent
    coinage? It strikes me as a bit contrived.

    My favourite nickname of all time has to be The Tashkent Terror.

    d.

  8. Jan

    Jan Guest

    davek wrote:
    > MSeries wrote:
    >> Nicknames. Has mass media removed the romance from pro-cycling ? We
    >> used to have The Cannibal, The Badger and other nicknames based on
    >> riders performances, temprement and ability.

    > Until very recently we had the Pirate. :(
    >
    > Does Dangermouse count?
    >
    >> OK we have The Kaiser.

    > I hadn't heard that one until this year's Tour - is it of recent
    > coinage? It strikes me as a bit contrived.
    >
    > My favourite nickname of all time has to be The Tashkent Terror.
    >
    > d.

    Then theres "The TerminAITOR" (Gonzales)

    Lion King aka SuperMario

    Jan

  9. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 29/7/04 3:08 pm, in article [email protected], "Jan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Then theres "The TerminAITOR" (Gonzales)
    >
    > Lion King aka SuperMario

    The pocket rocket was one of the sprinters (abdujaparov?)

    ...d

  10. David Martin wrote:
    > abdujaparov?

    Gesundheit.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  11. >Gesundheit.

    >Guy

    Is he one of the lesser known T-Mobile riders? Gerolsteiner perhaps??

    Cheers, helen s

  12. On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:03:47 +0000 (UTC), davek <[email protected]> wrote:

    >MSeries wrote:
    >> Nicknames. Has mass media removed the romance from pro-cycling ? We
    >> used to have The Cannibal, The Badger and other nicknames based on
    >> riders performances, temprement and ability.

    >Until very recently we had the Pirate. :(
    >
    >Does Dangermouse count?
    >
    >> OK we have The Kaiser.

    >I hadn't heard that one until this year's Tour - is it of recent
    >coinage? It strikes me as a bit contrived.
    >
    >My favourite nickname of all time has to be The Tashkent Terror.
    >
    >d.

    The almanac of pro nicknmanes is here

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/riders/nicknames.htm

    My favourite is "Stewart" (Luc le Blanc) as dubbed by robert Millar

    Regards!
    Stephen

  13. davek

    davek Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > The almanac of pro nicknmanes is here

    Delightful. I've not heard "Spotted Dick" before, but it is perfect.

    > My favourite is "Stewart" (Luc le Blanc) as dubbed by robert Millar

    rofl

    d.

  14. >Steve McGinty wrote:
    >> The almanac of pro nicknmanes is here

    >Delightful. I've not heard "Spotted Dick" before, but it is perfect.
    >
    >> My favourite is "Stewart" (Luc le Blanc) as dubbed by robert Millar

    >rofl
    >
    >d.

    Well, if you really want nicknames, and as "The Pirate" has already been
    mentioned, why not try this to obtain your very own pirate nickname ;-)

    http://www.froggynet.com/cgi-bin/pirate.cgi

    Cheers, helen s
    (Arrrr!)

  15. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    On a Tour de France trip once I got nicknamed 'The Carnivore' due to my undervest which is from The Carnivore restaurant in Nairobi and also 'Monsieur Trois Cols' or 'L'Headbanger' due to the fact that I only did rides with three cols each day. BTW I can't climb but I love the descents, the views and the satisfaction of getting to the top.

  16. Aloysius

    Aloysius Guest

  17. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Stuart was a dork in the opinion of B&B, I think Millar was implying that LeBlanc was a dork.

  18. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:55:08 +1000, MSeries
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Not having seen much 'Beavis & Buthead', this is lost on me. Please
    >> will you explain?

    >Stuart was a dork in the opinion of B&B, I think Millar was implying
    >that LeBlanc was a dork.

    Many thanks.
    --

    Cheers,