Cycling on Eigg

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dave P, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Dave P

    Dave P Guest

    Is it worth taking mountain bikes over to Eigg? I ask as out youngest is only just in a bike seat
    and I think rough land rover tracks maybe too much for her.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Dave P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it worth taking mountain bikes over to Eigg? I ask as out youngest is only just in a bike seat
    > and I think rough land rover tracks maybe too
    much
    > for her.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Theres about 4 miles of tarmac and a similar amount of what looks like land rover tracks.

    It would seem hardly worth taking the bike, but then hardly worth going really.

  3. Mr Angry.

    Mr Angry. Guest

    "Dave P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Is it worth taking mountain bikes over to Eigg? I ask as out youngest is only just in a bike seat
    > and I think rough land rover tracks maybe too
    much
    > for her.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Oh those naughty landies, and how inconsiderate of people using them for the purpose they were
    designed for.

    pud in the office all week would ride 'the bike'. And at weekend, she prefers the day out as the
    window cleaner rides her indoors on the rest of the weekdays.

  4. Mr Blue Sky

    Mr Blue Sky Guest

    "Mr Angry." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave P" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Is it worth taking mountain bikes over to Eigg? I ask as out youngest is only just in a bike
    > > seat and I think rough land rover tracks maybe too
    > much
    > > for her.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Oh those naughty landies, and how inconsiderate of people using them for
    the
    > purpose they were designed for.

    his
    > pud in the office all week would ride 'the bike'. And at weekend, she prefers the day out as the
    > window cleaner rides her indoors on the rest of the weekdays.
    >

    >Karm down......................Karm Down.....................

    MBS

  5. J.

    J. Guest

    On Tue, 6 May 2003 23:48:59 +0100, "Mr Angry." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Dave P" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Is it worth taking mountain bikes over to Eigg? I ask as out youngest is only just in a bike seat
    >> and I think rough land rover tracks maybe too
    >much
    >> for her.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?
    >
    >Oh those naughty landies, and how inconsiderate of people using them for the purpose they were
    >designed for.
    >

    >pud in the office all week would ride 'the bike'. And at weekend, she prefers the day out as the
    >window cleaner rides her indoors on the rest of the weekdays.

    Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.

    Cheemag.

  6. Mr Angry.

    Mr Angry. Guest

    "J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    >
    > Cheemag.

    Hehehe

    Now I find that really strange, but even more unnerving it's so bloody ironic.

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    [email protected] (J.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.

    Try to re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying. Trolls the feed not do.

    --
    Dave...

  8. Mr Blue Sky

    Mr Blue Sky Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (J.) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    >
    > Try to re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying. Trolls the feed not do.
    >
    > --
    > Dave..

    How do you get to eigg? is it from Mallaig, or Arisaig? MBS.

  9. Dave P

    Dave P Guest

    I took bikes from Arisaig. The calmac ferry also runs from mallaig.

    Dave

    "Mr Blue Sky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > [email protected] (J.) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >
    > > > Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    > >
    > > Try to re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying. Trolls the feed
    > > not do.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dave..
    >
    > How do you get to eigg? is it from Mallaig, or Arisaig? MBS.

  10. J.

    J. Guest

    On Wed, 7 May 2003 23:26:17 +0100, "Mr Angry." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"J." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    >>
    >> Cheemag.
    >
    >Hehehe

    >Now I find that really strange, but even more unnerving it's so bloody ironic.

    Which proves nothing other than that you haven't a clue about the Icelandic language.

    - Cheemag.

  11. J.

    J. Guest

    On 7 May 2003 16:17:39 -0700, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

    >[email protected] (J.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >> Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    >
    >Try to re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying. Trolls the feed not do.

    I know. I fall for it every time....

    - Cheemag.

  12. "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (J.) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Another one who can't make a point without resorting to abuse and bad language.
    >
    > Try to re-arrange the following words into a well known phrase or saying. Trolls the feed not do.
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    Trolls on the Internet are cowards. Very few if any of them would have the guts to stand up in a
    public bar and spout off their nonsense. Hiding behind a computer and doing it seems to give them
    some satisfaction.

    The sad part of all of this is that youngsters read this Newsgroup and they should not be subjected
    to the kind of language that these sad people use.

    Vision

  13. positivethoughts <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Trolls on the Internet are cowards. Very few if any of them would have the guts to stand up in a
    >public bar and spout off their nonsense.

    I hardly think a willingness to be assaulted should be the criterion of worth for someone's
    comments. Are you saying that large, strong men should be allowed to troll and abuse people?

    >The sad part of all of this is that youngsters read this Newsgroup and they should not be subjected
    >to the kind of language that these sad people use.

    Nonsense. All kinds of people use vigorous language on Usenet, and Usenet has always been a medium
    for adults - children can read it, but I strongly oppose the idea that we should adapt it for them
    except in hierarchies and newsgroups explicitly for their use.

  14. [email protected] (J.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Wed, 7 May 2003 23:26:17 +0100, "Mr Angry." <[email protected]>

    > Which proves nothing other than that you haven't a clue about the Icelandic language.

    ...including the fact that the letter "c" does not even exist in Icelandic.

  15. Rob Jack

    Rob Jack Guest

  16. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 09 May 2003 13:40:31 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    > All kinds of people use vigorous language on Usenet, and Usenet has always been a medium for
    > adults - children can read it, but I strongly oppose the idea that we should adapt it for them
    > except in hierarchies and newsgroups explicitly for their use.

    Would make a bit more sense if the offending troll hadn't been reacting to a perfectly civil
    question. I used to work with a bloke called Stuart. A conversation with Stuart usually went
    along these lines: "Moring, Stuart." - "F**k off!" At that, Stuart was at least prepared to use
    his own name.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  17. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>All kinds of people use vigorous language on Usenet, and Usenet has always been a medium for
    >>adults - children can read it, but I strongly oppose the idea that we should adapt it for them
    >>except in hierarchies and newsgroups explicitly for their use.
    >Would make a bit more sense if the offending troll hadn't been reacting to a perfectly civil
    >question.

    I don't like the offending troll; but "Velvet"'s comments about trolls are preposterous nonsense
    for all that.

  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 12 May 2003 14:44:44 +0100 (BST), David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't like the offending troll; but "Velvet"'s comments about trolls are preposterous nonsense
    >for all that.

    <shrug> I don't think it's appropriate or necessary to spout foul language in response to a civil
    question in any context. And I am one of these starry-eyed idealists who would like the entire world
    to be warm and fluffy and safe for my children, but most of it isn't - however, this NG is usually
    fairly polite and "family friendly." Not that they ever use any part of the net unsupervised,
    especially not Usenet. And IRC is blocked at my firewall and always will be.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  19. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<eNy*[email protected]>...

    > I don't like the offending troll; but "Velvet"'s comments about trolls are preposterous nonsense
    > for all that.

    For the record I think the denunciation of cowards hiding behind their computers to post was made
    under the pseudonym "Vision". :)

    --
    Dave...

  20. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>I don't like the offending troll; but "Velvet"'s comments about trolls are preposterous nonsense
    >>for all that.
    [Vision, even.]
    ><shrug> I don't think it's appropriate or necessary to spout foul language in response to a civil
    >question in any context.

    But it is permissible. The troll was wrong because it was a troll; not because it had rude words in
    or indeed because the poster might be unwilling to be punched in the face.