Cycling on Freeways and Highways in Melbourne / Victoria area...

Chatbox

Aug 1, 2004
I've recently started the route planning for my cycling trip from Melbourne to Brisbane in July and August (chillout, sight-seeing and also job hunting at the same time). Using Google Maps, Street View and Bikely.com, I'm able to check out the road conditions (smooth surface!!), specific landmarks and distances. However, I do have a question about cycling on freeways and highways.

According to the map here, I can cycle on most roads except the ones marked in red, right? Does that mean I can even ride on the Princes Hwy out of Melbourne? This might be a silly question, but back in the UK and Canada, cyclists are not allowed on the motorways and highways, so I thought I better ask.

TIA.

Chatbox said:
I've recently started the route planning for my cycling trip from Melbourne to Brisbane in July and August (chillout, sight-seeing and also job hunting at the same time). Using Google Maps, Street View and Bikely.com, I'm able to check out the road conditions (smooth surface!!), specific landmarks and distances. However, I do have a question about cycling on freeways and highways.

According to the map here, I can cycle on most roads except the ones marked in red, right? Does that mean I can even ride on the Princes Hwy out of Melbourne? This might be a silly question, but back in the UK and Canada, cyclists are not allowed on the motorways and highways, so I thought I better ask.

TIA.
I ride on the princess hwy most mornings at 4am. Its just me and the garbage trucks that love to stir me up. Princess hwy is fine to ride your bike on. You can take the left lane and traffic has plenty of room to move around you. It can get busy at peak traffic times although for cycling gods like myself - I just take charge and let them know who is boss.

You will be fine. Be extra careful riding through the bad lands (Dandenong/Doveton/Noble Park). Otherwise its fine all the way into the city.

Thanks Geoff, I really appreciate you getting back to me on this. Would you say Princes Hwy is the fastest route out of the city (going East)? I plan to stay at Melbourne Metro (a YHA hostel) on 78 Howard Street, North Melbourne, for a week or so to explore the city (and try to get use to cycling on Australian road system). Then will try to head East and arrive in Moe or Traralgon in one day.

Chatbox said:
Thanks Geoff, I really appreciate you getting back to me on this. Would you say Princes Hwy is the fastest route out of the city (going East)? I plan to stay at Melbourne Metro (a YHA hostel) on 78 Howard Street, North Melbourne, for a week or so to explore the city (and try to get use to cycling on Australian road system). Then will try to head East and arrive in Moe or Traralgon in one day.
LOL....Moe....lolz....hahaha...sorry....i digress.....Yeah princess hwy is your fastest way east. If it were me i'd head south from north melbourne to st kilda then follow beach rd along the coast to mt eliza. Then cut across east to the south gippsland hwy. From there you could head down to Gippsland along the old princess hwy rather than the new (larger princess hwy) or you can head through the strezleki hills which is much nicer. Ask Classic1. He lives in Gippsland and can guide you along the best roads to Moe. He posts in the 'Thread about nothing'.

The easy option is to just stay on the main princess hwy which has a large shoulder to ride along, is boring as hell but will take you straight to Moe.

Alright! Thanks for the advice and direction. I've re-mapped a new route here, going from Melbourne to Foster. Is this a better route (less dull, more interesting), one that you would take?

I basically have no idea which way I want to go except the four cities that I want to go to. The other thing is that it's basically my first self-planned, unsupported trip...feeling sooo excited and scary at the same time. Maybe I should really get my hands on some tourist guide books and check out what other locations I should pass through for a more scenic ride.

Chatbox said:
Alright! Thanks for the advice and direction. I've re-mapped a new route here, going from Melbourne to Foster. Is this a better route (less dull, more interesting), one that you would take?

I basically have no idea which way I want to go except the four cities that I want to go to. The other thing is that it's basically my first self-planned, unsupported trip...feeling sooo excited and scary at the same time. Maybe I should really get my hands on some tourist guide books and check out what other locations I should pass through for a more scenic ride.
Ok I had a quick look. I have riden all of those roads some very regularly. Dont jump on lower dandenong rd. The road is fine itself and I use it regularly but its not the best way to go. Stay on beach road all the way to Mordialoc and continue on all the way down to Frankston. Its a nice bit of road. Turn left onto Humphries Rd after Frankston and cut across through Baxter to the south gippsland hwy via Baxter Tooradin rd. Nice open country. Far better then Cranbourne. Trust me.

The section between Deavon Meadows and Lang Lang along the South gippy hwy is where I do all my interval training. Its an uninterupted dead flat, very open and windswept stretch of road. Its a house of pain. But if you are just plodding along its fine.

The rest of your route to Foster is nice especially once you get off the South Gippy hwy. You are missing a lot of great roads around Mirboo but there are bushfires ATM so not a bad thing. If you go through Yarram after you stop in Forster then stop at Paul the Pieman's Bakery. Yummmmmmmmmm.

The section from Meeniyan to Forster is grouse fun. Good luck.

Thank you for the direction. Route has been re-mapped now.
Looks like Day 1 is now planned. hehee...many more days to go!

Good job. That is a solid training ride even for me. There are a heap of people floating around here that can help you out with other sections of your great trip to Brisbane.

Alternatively look up cycling clubs in Vic,NSW and Qld and ask for help on the best roads to take in their relevant areas. Local knowledge of what is the nicest safest roads to take will make your trip so much more interesting and enjoyable.

Oh haha I just realised your not doing it until July? Forget about the bushfire advice then haha.
redface.gif

Have you got "Cycling Australia" by Lonely Planet?

Pages 380-448 - Melbourne to Gold Coast.

Hi matagi, I'll go and check it out. Thanks for the pointers.

I'm sooo enjoying this planning part of the pre-trip. Feeling such a noob as it's my first time to be on a self-planned unsupported tour. There's going to be so many screw ups, no doubt about that...hehe.

There is an easy way to plan a trip like this. Simply go to your nearest McDonalds and get one of those placemats that shows the location of every McDonalds restaurent in the state. You should be able to plot a route easy peasy using the map.

Also, I forgot to mention Chatterbox, if you are a chick and you're hot then Hitchy will personally chaperon you on your way out of Melbourne. He's generous like that.
biggrin.gif
Are you a Milf?

But if your a bloke with boonen type bod then Matagi will be all over it like Ian Thorpe on chocolate cake and fudge packers.

ian-thorpe-fat-before-and-after-799274.jpg