Cycling on highways

HellonWheels

Aug 1, 2003
How do I overcome this fear? Also the fear of cycling across a bridge, even on a bike path across it?

I started out cycling when I was 17, after a knee injury that left me unable to run anymore. I enbded up getting away from cycline when I was 25 or so, and recently I went back to it at age 43. I forgot all the old fears I had about riding alongside traffic.

Before, I lived in a city where we rode alongside cars and there was not much room. But cars didnt go as fast down narrow streets.

Now, I'm in the suburbs, and so far I've gotten the courage to ride backroads, streets, etc...but there is the main drag, Route 42 that scares the bejeezus out of me.

One thing I love about the bike is, if I get a panic attack from the traffic, I just hop off the bike, go onto the sidewalk with it and VOILA! Instant pedestrian.

I need to travel Rt 42 to get to stores I want to shop at. But how do I get over the phobia? The traffic goes SO fast!!

You just have to ignore it, you can't control what other people in vehicles will do. Assure yourself that you can be seen properly by wearing high visibility clothing and have good lights if you are riding at dawn or dusk. ALWAYS wear a helmet. Realx and breath easily. If you do feel tension or anxiety then stopping and spending a few minutes on the sidewalk is good. Do some relaxation and deep breathing execises and when you feel better, get back on the bike. You are in control only of your own actions - so don't worry, be happy.

I have reecently started commuting to work in Johannesburg - which is far from cycle friendly. My plan is to dress brightly act confidently and make use of a rear view mirror to get an idea of the flow around you. As Spider - Relax and be happy.

Anyone in the Jo'burg area know if there is any lobbying for cycle paths / facilities...we need them desperately, if cycling is ever to be consider a "commuting" option for normal people :)

Another plug for the Carmichael/Armstrong Book. I've just read some very good hints of how to ride in traffic. Seems even Lance has had some close shaves.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Guess what? Today was my first day back to cycling after a calf muscle injury lasy week. I got brave and decided to try the highway. I did it! 7 miles up, 7 miles back, on rt 42. It was easy! I was scared to death thinking, what if my leg gives out. But it didnt, actually theres no pain in it at all right now.

When you are talking about the highways, do you mean a state highway or an interstate? (here, the speed limit on the interstate is 75 mph and the state highways are usually 60-65 mph) In most states it's not legal to ride a bike on the interstate, but in New Mexico, it is if it is the only option. Anyway, I'm thinking about commuting to work, and I would have to do 12 miles on the interstate before I could get on back road. Years ago, I used to ride on the interstate, but the speed limit was lower.

Originally posted by athansor
When you are talking about the highways, do you mean a state highway or an interstate? (here, the speed limit on the interstate is 75 mph and the state highways are usually 60-65 mph) In most states it's not legal to ride a bike on the interstate, but in New Mexico, it is if it is the only option. Anyway, I'm thinking about commuting to work, and I would have to do 12 miles on the interstate before I could get on back road. Years ago, I used to ride on the interstate, but the speed limit was lower.

(Ahem)..I'm not a car driver and never was (gosh do I love bragging about that, lol)....so that confuses me. I THINK what I mean is state highway. The major road that cuts thru town here, iow.

Probably state highway -- you'd probably simply NOT GO near an interstate if you're afraid of bridges, etc. Interstates have the funny blue and red signs.
I have some of the same issues and I ride as fast as I can, be as visible as I can, and really hunt out routes that are less scary. Sometimes I go 15 miles instead of 7 to work for that reasojn.

Originally posted by Geonz
Probably state highway -- you'd probably simply NOT GO near an interstate if you're afraid of bridges, etc. Interstates have the funny blue and red signs.
I have some of the same issues and I ride as fast as I can, be as visible as I can, and really hunt out routes that are less scary. Sometimes I go 15 miles instead of 7 to work for that reasojn.

I know how stupid I sound here (lol)....interstate are the really big highways, right? The ones that go on and on with no stores, etc? Those are the ones I know not to go on. In fact I dont think bikes are even allowed on them anyway (according to my husband.)

What I need to do is find a way to cycle from Blackwood, New Jersey (Rt 42 area) to Philadelphia. I know how car goes there, and a bus, but not a bike. Back roads I guess, but I need to find out how to map it out.

Originally posted by HellonWheels
I know how stupid I sound here (lol)....interstate are the really big highways, right? The ones that go on and on with no stores, etc? Those are the ones I know not to go on. In fact I dont think bikes are even allowed on them anyway (according to my husband.)

What I need to do is find a way to cycle from Blackwood, New Jersey (Rt 42 area) to Philadelphia. I know how car goes there, and a bus, but not a bike. Back roads I guess, but I need to find out how to map it out.

You're right, that's what I'm talking about. :) In most states, it's not legal to ride on them, but it is in New Mexico, because the population is pretty sparse and there places where there is no other option. (even RAAM riders use the interstate for a stretch). In my case, I've got a wildlife refuge bordering my place in the direction of work, so going offroad is not an option, and the only back road I know that's paved would turn a 25 mile trip into a 400 mile trip. (there's also a large missle range in the way, big part of the state with no roads going through)