Cycling on the Radio

Steve McGinty wrote:
> Nicole Cooke is the subject of "Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 and 909 MW - or at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at 9.30pm this evening.

Thanks for that.

Apparently there was a program on R4 at 20:30 called "Why Did We Do That", about the motor car
taking away peoples' freedom to use the streets during the 20th century.

I plan to catch it later on Listen Again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Thomas Paine

>Nicole Cooke is the subject of "Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 and 909 MW - or at
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at 9.30pm this evening.

Thank you Stephen!! Just got in from an evening cycle ride too! Excellent way to wind up
the evening!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

On 09 Jun 2003 20:34:16 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>>Nicole Cooke is the subject of "Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 and 909 MW - or at
>>http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at 9.30pm this evening.
>
>Thank you Stephen!! Just got in from an evening cycle ride too! Excellent way to wind up
>the evening!
>
>Cheers, helen s

It was good to see she's from a cycling "family" - ( like Chris Boardman.) I think she has the
potential to become the best ever UK cyclist - all the best to her.

Regards! Stephen

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Apparently there was a program on R4 at 20:30 called "Why Did We Do That", about the motor car
> taking away peoples' freedom to use the streets during the 20th century.
>
> I plan to catch it later on Listen Again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Lots of nice touches, from Meyer Hillman on the predictability of accents to the Pedestrians'
Association on their wars with the AA & RAC in the '30s. The McGuffin was the way we moved from
looking out for children to demanding that children always have 360-degree awareness of any
potential threat.

Ben

Steve McGinty wrote:
> Nicole Cooke is the subject of "Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 and 909 MW - or at
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at 9.30pm this evening.

But surely the really important news is that Elisabeth hired a tandem for Nigel's birthday.

James

On 09 Jun 2003 20:34:16 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Thank you Stephen!! Just got in from an evening cycle ride too! Excellent way to wind up
>the evening!

Set book: One False Move, Meyer Hillman. And I have a copy!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 06:47:38 +0900, James Annan <[email protected]> wrote:

>But surely the really important news is that Elisabeth hired a tandem for Nigel's birthday.

Nah - but if Clarrie had hired one for Eddie's birthday that *would* be news!

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Ben Tansley" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>> Apparently there was a program on R4 at 20:30 called "Why Did We Do That", about the motor car
>> taking away peoples' freedom to use the streets during the 20th century.
>>
>> I plan to catch it later on Listen Again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml
>
> Lots of nice touches, from Meyer Hillman on the predictability of accents to the Pedestrians'
> Association on their wars with the AA & RAC in the '30s. The McGuffin was the way we moved from
> looking out for children to demanding that children always have 360-degree awareness of any
> potential threat.

I caught this too. Very good. I liked the bit about "Play Streets" in Manchester in the 1930s. An
excellent idea, showed great promise in cutting road injuries and deaths but was not taken up.

Does this pre-date the Dutch "Home Zones" that we are now talking about importing?

I also liked the rather pompous pronouncements of politicians years ago arguing against setting
speed limits because drivers were gentlement and should be trusted to make their own judgements. Who
did that remind me of?

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Steve McGinty wrote:
> > Nicole Cooke is the subject of "Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 and 909 MW - or at
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at 9.30pm this evening.
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Apparently there was a program on R4 at 20:30 called "Why Did We Do That", about the motor car
> taking away peoples' freedom to use the streets during the 20th century.
>
> I plan to catch it later on Listen Again: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/progs/listenagain.shtml

Good luck Danny, I tried listening to it just now (even installing Real on my PC :( )

The file isn't available, so I clicked on help ...

Unfortunately the following page was not available:

/help/faq_error.shtml

Bah ....

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Good luck Danny, I tried listening to it just now (even installing Real on my PC :( )
>
> The file isn't available, so I clicked on help ...
>
> Unfortunately the following page was not available:

Select the 'Go to website' link then scroll down to 'Listen to Programme 2' link and, hey presto,
the programme is available.

Or click this link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/ram/why_did_we_do_that_20030609.ram

Is the Nicole Cooke's interview available on the net?

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Good luck Danny, I tried listening to it just now (even installing Real
on
> > my PC :( )
> >
> > The file isn't available, so I clicked on help ...
> >
> > Unfortunately the following page was not available:
>
> Select the 'Go to website' link then scroll down to 'Listen to Programme
2'
> link and, hey presto, the programme is available.
>
> Or click this link
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/ram/why_did_we_do_that_20030609.ram
>

> Is the Nicole Cooke's interview available on the net?

Many thanks. Off to get another cup of coffee ... :)

"elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Good luck Danny, I tried listening to it just now (even installing Real on my PC :( )

Yes, isn't it a pain that you have to do that to listen to the Beeb. :-(

--
Dave...

Agreed. Oh why oh why oh why do they insist on using this Real Player ****?

Simon wrote:
>>Yes, isn't it a pain that you have to do that to listen to the Beeb.
>
> Agreed. Oh why oh why oh why do they insist on using this Real Player ****?

Mm... the Ogg trial was so promising. Let's hope they 'get more staff' soon...

http://support.bbc.co.uk/ogg/

Simon

Steve McGinty <stephenmcginty@ntlworld_DOT_.com> wrote: ( Nicole Cooke is the subject of
"Sporting Journeys" on BBC 5 Live (693 ) and 909 MW - or at http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/) at
9.30pm this ( evening.

She gets to be the one-page portrait article in this week's "Golwg", too.

You don't get to see the article, of course, because they're selling it on paper, hm, but
http://www.golwg.co.uk/pages/showpage.asp?pubid=1&edid=311&ssid=26&aid=2462&pid=2809

What's all the fuss about? People come off bikes every day... apparently.