Cycling on the Road When There is a Cycle Lane?

Rich1977

Feb 9, 2010
My daily commute take me 15 miles from countryside to town center. Along the way there is an eclectic mix of surfaces.

There are cycle lanes at certain points along the way, and I choose to use most of them however, some of the cycle lanes require mounting a kerb, or sharing a lane with a bus, and one of my biggest frustrations is the debris in the lanes so, I frequently choose to cycle on the road instead of the provided cycle lane.

Question is, although I may get 'parped' at or 'shouted' at for not using the cycle lane, am I breaking any laws?

Where are you? Laws vary from place to place but most if not all US states allow bikes on the road. For the most part bike traffic follows the same rules as other vehicles with a few variations and restrictions. Some of the laws a little ambiguous IMO.

jhuskey said:
Where are you? Laws vary from place to place but most if not all US states allow bikes on the road. For the most part bike traffic follows the same rules as other vehicles with a few variations and restrictions. Some of the laws a little ambiguous IMO.

i've often wondered if riding on the freeways is legal here in the states. i have yet to be busted for it though..:p

roadhouse said:
i've often wondered if riding on the freeways is legal here in the states. i have yet to be busted for it though..:p

Bicycle are not allowed on interstates, at least no in my state.

jhuskey said:
Bicycle are not allowed on interstates, at least no in my state.

I am not positive, but pretty sure it isn't allowed in any state.

*EDIT*

I stand corrected?

Is it illegal to ride your bike on a interstate highway?
According to the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/freeways.htm) "There are no Federal laws or regulations that prohibit bicycle use on Interstate highways or other freeways. Most western States allow bicycles to use Interstate highways or other freeways. Many of these States restrict bicycle use in urban or other congested areas." It seems it depends on the specific area you are cycling in. Please be aware of any road signs that may indicate pedestrians or bicyclists being prohibited from using the roads.

changes2008 said:

*EDIT*

I stand corrected?

According to the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration (Shared Use Paths Along or Near Freeways and Bicycles on Freeways - Bicycle and Pedestrian - Environment & Planning - FHWA) "There are no Federal laws or regulations that prohibit bicycle use on Interstate highways or other freeways. Most western States allow bicycles to use Interstate highways or other freeways. Many of these States restrict bicycle use in urban or other congested areas." It seems it depends on the specific area you are cycling in. Please be aware of any road signs that may indicate pedestrians or bicyclists being prohibited from using the roads.

i'm printing that and keeping it in a ziploc bag in my jersey for the time i get pulled over. U.S. 290 doesn't have any posted signs stating that it's illegal anywho but cops will be cops. thanks!

roadhouse said:
i'm printing that and keeping it in a ziploc bag in my jersey for the time i get pulled over. U.S. 290 doesn't have any posted signs stating that it's illegal anywho but cops will be cops. thanks!

haha... Good luck with that one!

It may be the motorizes bike restriction that I am thinking of.
I was never interested enough to research any restriction on interstate travel for bikes.
No desire to die under a big rig.

jhuskey said:
It may be the motorizes bike restriction that I am thinking of.
I was never interested enough to research any restriction on interstate travel for bikes.
No desire to die under a big rig.

it's when i'm in the same lane as them that i never feel more alive.

changes2008 said:

*EDIT*

I stand corrected?

According to the US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration (http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/freeways.htm) "There are no Federal laws or regulations that prohibit bicycle use on Interstate highways or other freeways. Most western States allow bicycles to use Interstate highways or other freeways. Many of these States restrict bicycle use in urban or other congested areas." It seems it depends on the specific area you are cycling in. Please be aware of any road signs that may indicate pedestrians or bicyclists being prohibited from using the roads.

Bicycles, pedestrians and equestrians are prohibited from limited-access highways in MA, there are signs on all the entrance ramps stating such.

cyberlegend1994 said:
Bicycles, pedestrians and equestrians are prohibited from limited-access highways in MA, there are signs on all the entrance ramps stating such.

Yeah, it is that way in Tennessee as well. I corrected myself because I said, "anywhere". Which apparently, is not the case.

roadhouse said:

There's almost always signage on the interstates which points out what is not allowed. It's scary that either you didn't notice the signs or weren't skilled enough to read the relevant sections of the state motor code or, given your vast cut and paste skills, find the info online and then cut and paste it on a forum so that you can then read it.

changes2008 said:
Yeah, it is that way in Tennessee as well. I corrected myself because I said, "anywhere". Which apparently, is not the case.

There are, at least, parts of Colorado where cyclists can take to interstates (it's done in the Triple Bypass). Likewise, there are quite a few areas in Arizona where it can be done. Whether it's wise or not is an entirely different matter.

To the OP, you should choose the safest options, according to your feelings and the local laws. It's not always a clear "yes" or "no". Whatever you choose, make sure, if you're about to change lanes or summat, to make your intentions clear to drivers.

FWIW, enough kack on a surface can render it unsafe. That includes kack that might puncture or cut a tire.....or that might reduce traction.

what's scary is your openess and willingness to stalk and insult me first before helping out the OP. eh, maybe not so much scary as stupid yet intensely gratifying, yup, that's it... :p

roadhouse said:
what's scary is your openess and willingness to stalk and insult me first before helping out the OP. eh, maybe not so much scary as stupid yet intensely gratifying, yup, that's it... :p

I determined that there wasn't sufficient temporal dependence to necessitate any sequential prioritization.

It's funny that you talk about stupid. Heh.

roadhouse said:

bump.

The other issue with well traveled highways is that the shoulder is covered in **** such as nail, tacks, etc.
I have seen everything from condoms to cellphones to credit cards.
The bottom line is that less traveled routes are better in many ways.

To the OP, sometimes a call to the local Dept of Transportation requesting that a road sweeper address debris along a particular stretch of road can help out.

Bikes are allowed on numbered State Hwys here in Kansas, but not Interstate Hwys.

All the lanes here are white right now and the snow is piling up.
Could be a geat day to make some tracks on the slopes cause it's the nice light fluffy stuff.

jhuskey said:
The other issue with well traveled highways is that the shoulder is covered in **** such as nail, tacks, etc.
I have seen everything from condoms to cellphones to credit cards.
The bottom line is that less traveled routes are better in many ways.

Condoms, cell phones, credit cards....that's nothing. Once as I climbed a hill, here, I passed a black ***** laying on the shoulder of the road. The next day, the ***** was gone. That it was gone and that someone might have stopped to pick it up was a lot more disturbing than seeing it.