Cycling out of Nice, France

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Michael Coleran, Feb 16, 2006.

  1. I am thinking of flying EasyJet to Nice with my bike. I have been told the
    roads around Nice airport are a nightmare. Has anyone any experience of
    cycling out of this airport? Are there cycle tracks? I will be heading north
    to the hills of provence.

    Tags:

  2. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Michael Coleran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I am thinking of flying EasyJet to Nice with my bike. I have been told the
    >roads around Nice airport are a nightmare. Has anyone any experience of
    >cycling out of this airport? Are there cycle tracks? I will be heading
    >north to the hills of provence.

    A quick google gets you this

    http://www.ebbc.org/france/logistics.html

    and lots of other info is available online. Many bookshops over here have
    Michelin maps of France which are very good. Investing in one that covers
    the relevant area will enable you to work out a cycle route from the
    airport. Indeed if you contact the airport, it may be that they have a map
    showing a cycle route away from the airport as part of tourist information?

    FWIW, although I haven't cycled in that particular part of France, I've
    always found cycling in France to be an altogether more pleasant affair than
    cycling here in the UK - the drivers are far more cyclist aware over there
    and you aren't treated like the scum of the earth :)

    Cheers, helen s

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Michael Coleran wrote:

    > I am thinking of flying EasyJet to Nice with my bike. I have been told the
    > roads around Nice airport are a nightmare. Has anyone any experience of
    > cycling out of this airport? Are there cycle tracks? I will be heading north
    > to the hills of provence.

    We've done this sort of thing a few times. The roads are nothing like
    that bad. There is one big one up the flat river valley that may be best
    avoided, but there are minor, hillier alternatives and it's a wonderful
    place to go for a cycling holiday!

    Lookin at my map, from the airport, straight up north to Vence, or from
    Nice itself, north to Levens. Lucky you! I'll be back next year, perhaps.

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email

  4. Peter Grange

    Peter Grange Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Michael
    Coleran <[email protected]> writes
    >I am thinking of flying EasyJet to Nice with my bike. I have been told the
    >roads around Nice airport are a nightmare. Has anyone any experience of
    >cycling out of this airport? Are there cycle tracks? I will be heading north
    >to the hills of provence.

    I've not been inland from the airport but I've gone from the airport
    into Nice itself a few times with very little problem. The road's a bit
    busy but the airport is very close to the town & once you get to the
    town proper there's a cycle track right along the sea front.
    --
    Peter Grange

  5. Ric

    Ric Guest

    "Peter Grange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    once you get to the
    > town proper there's a cycle track right along the sea front.

    The cycle lane is on the pavement unfortunately, so obviously far too
    dangerous! Better take the four lane urban motorway alongside it instead ;-)

  6. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Ric wrote:
    > "Peter Grange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > once you get to the
    > > town proper there's a cycle track right along the sea front.

    > The cycle lane is on the pavement unfortunately, so obviously far too
    > dangerous! Better take the four lane urban motorway alongside it instead ;-)

    In no way is it an "urban motorway", the speeds are moderate with lots
    of light-controlled junctions to slow the cars, and we certainly used
    it in preference to a pavement covered in bladers and pedestrians
    wandering about aimlessly. But each to his own....I commute along much
    nastier roads each day without worrying about it.

    James