Cycling Over Sydney Harbour Bridge

hemyd

Guest
Guys,

I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point Railway
Station?

Thank you.
--
Henry

remove !!! to reply

hemyd wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point Railway
> Station?

yes

hemyd said:
I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point Railway Station?

The only thing you have to watch is the stairs at the northern end. Rather annoying.

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> hemyd wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
>> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point
>> Railway
>> Station?

> yes

Thank you.

Henry.

hemyd wrote:
> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > hemyd wrote:
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
> >> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point
> >> Railway
> >> Station?

> > yes
> >

> Thank you.

One side of the bridge is for pedestrians, and the other for bikes
(from memory, the west side is for bikes, the east for peds). It's a
very pretty tootle. Don't expect to be able to hoot over it, it'll
probably be full off gawking tourists on hybrids stopping to look and
block the path! It certainly was when I did it years ago (I was one of
them!)

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:33:12 +1100
hemyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point Railway
> Station?

You go up the western side of the bridge. There's about 50 steps you
walk up, with a ramp for the bike, so you push as you climb.

Then you have a bike only path to ride, no peds - they are on the
other side of the bridge.

Zebee

"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> hemyd wrote:
>> "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > yes
>> >

>> Thank you.

> One side of the bridge is for pedestrians, and the other for bikes
> (from memory, the west side is for bikes, the east for peds). It's a
> very pretty tootle. Don't expect to be able to hoot over it, it'll
> probably be full off gawking tourists on hybrids stopping to look and
> block the path! It certainly was when I did it years ago (I was one of
> them!)

I'm looking forward to it, Bleve! I did the run a few years ago, but now
will do it with my wife. We'll try not to do too much gawking... : )

Thank you, and thank you SomeGuy.

Henry.

"SomeGuy" wrote in message ...

> The only thing you have to watch is the stairs at the northern end.
> Rather annoying.

Or fun, depending on how you approach them ;-)

Parbs

Parbs said:
"SomeGuy" wrote in message ...

> The only thing you have to watch is the stairs at the northern end.
> Rather annoying.

Or fun, depending on how you approach them ;-)

Parbs
Or fun, depending on how you approach them ;-)

Annoying when you're riding a recumbent trike, wishing you'd taken the MTB instead.

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:11:32 +1100, SomeGuy wrote:

> Annoying when you're riding a recumbent trike, wishing you'd taken the MTB
> instead.

Great fun for practising stoppies on, going down. Good fun as a challenge
to ride up.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
And you don't think the government lets you buy _real_ tinfoil do you?

"hemyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Guys,
>
> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point
> Railway Station?
>
> Thank you.
> --
> Henry
>
> remove !!! to reply

Beware works on cycleway erecting a fence. Workers and restricted width on
the cycleway especially towards the southern end.

Cheers

Matt H

Have a look at http://oc.site.net.au/cycling/shb.pdf

Might help

--
Owen

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, hemyd wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm from Melbourne, not familliar with Sydney bike paths. I know there is
> one across SHB. Can I ride across the bridge from the Milson's Point Railway
> Station?
>
> Thank you.

On 13 Jan 2006 04:07:01 -0800, "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote
in aus.bicycle:

>One side of the bridge is for pedestrians, and the other for bikes
>(from memory, the west side is for bikes, the east for peds). It's a
>very pretty tootle. Don't expect to be able to hoot over it, it'll
>probably be full off gawking tourists on hybrids stopping to look and
>block the path! It certainly was when I did it years ago (I was one of
>them!)

This is bit off topic but I recently went up to Sydney with a friend
from the UK and on a couple of ocassions went for a walk on the
harbour bridge. I was astounded by the number of people on the
foorpath and using the cycleway.

When I first came to Sydney in the mid sixties I lived at Cremorne
Point (gawd I wish I had bought that house then) and regualrly used to
walk from there to the Cross where I worked every afternoon and back
again in the night. There was NOBODY ever on the bridge except the
hobos in the arches under the road on the southern end - this area is
now neatly fenced off with a very high fence - I spent many a happy
hour drinking $1 bottles of sherry there I can tell you!!

Likewise the 'road from the opera house along the shoreline past the
Botanic gardens now you can't bloody move for being run over by
hundreds of sodding joggers - Gawking tourists I can put up with,
bloody joggers should be lynched especially when they suddenly stop
to put on an exhibition of push ups, sit ups and stretches, talk about
onanism in public! Give us a break!

Well having got that off my chest I shall retire...

Regards
Prickles

Timendi causa est nescire
This message only uses recycled electrons

"Parbs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| "SomeGuy" wrote in message ...
| >
| > The only thing you have to watch is the stairs at the northern end.
| > Rather annoying.
| >
| Or fun, depending on how you approach them ;-)
|
| Parbs

I used to descend (ride down) the centre ramped section with the rear wheel
in the air just tweaking the front brake - it was interesting.
Jock

"Beanzy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| Beware works on cycleway erecting a fence. Workers and restricted width on
| the cycleway especially towards the southern end.
|
| Cheers
|
| Matt H

Those new bits look like a danger for cyclists, the path is narrower &
vertical steel bits every 3-4 metres. Great runoff area? not.
Jock

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:44:32 +0000, Jock wrote:

> Those new bits look like a danger for cyclists, the path is narrower &
> vertical steel bits every 3-4 metres. Great runoff area? not. Jock

I think (hope!) it's going to be wired over, so it'll be more like the
outside wall. I wonder how many couriers we can convince to lob little
vials of acid at the uprights (the gate at the south end lasted about 2
weeks from when they put the 2nd side on. I've no idea who removed them).

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

"Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
| On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:44:32 +0000, Jock wrote:

| I think (hope!) it's going to be wired over, so it'll be more like the
| outside wall. I wonder how many couriers we can convince to lob little
| vials of acid at the uprights (the gate at the south end lasted about 2
| weeks from when they put the 2nd side on. I've no idea who removed them).
|
| --
| Dave Hughes | [email protected]
| There are some things so serious you have to laugh at them. - Niels Bohr

Yeah, the same wiring as the outer edge and the same as has happened on the
eastern walkway already. Seems to be to keep people inside the confines of
the paths and on the cycleway to protect the pipe & cable infrastructure
fixed to the fence beside the rail lines.
Jock

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 13 Jan 2006 20:24:18 GMT
[email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2006 19:38:34 GMT, Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Then you have a bike only path to ride, no peds - they are on the
>> other side of the bridge.

> Not always.

Just like you get cars the wrong way down a one way street. It does
happen, but you don't tend to factor it in to your regular commute.

Zebee

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 12:11:19 +0000, Jock wrote:

> Yeah, the same wiring as the outer edge and the same as has happened on
> the eastern walkway already. Seems to be to keep people inside the
> confines of the paths and on the cycleway to protect the pipe & cable
> infrastructure fixed to the fence beside the rail lines. Jock

Ignoring that the access to the NE pylon is made easier by all the
security stuff, which would let someone climb around the razor wire?

Gotta love security that's counter productive.