Cycling parts for a general store

DaveB

Guest
On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:
> On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
> touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
> The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
> of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
> people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.
>
> DaveB

Just of the top of my head

Tubes and Tyres
Brake pad of various sizes
Brake and shifter cables
Kevlar emergency spokes! (I love these things)
Chain lube (Though light motor will do in a pinch)

Maybe also some basic tools like cassette locknut tools, allen keys 8 +
10 mm wrenchs spoke wrenchs ect.

Cheers

Joel

Joel Mayes wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
> > On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
> > touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
> > The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
> > of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
> > people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.
> >
> > DaveB

> Just of the top of my head
>
> Tubes and Tyres
> Brake pad of various sizes
> Brake and shifter cables
> Kevlar emergency spokes! (I love these things)
> Chain lube (Though light motor will do in a pinch)
>
> Maybe also some basic tools like cassette locknut tools, allen keys 8 +
> 10 mm wrenchs spoke wrenchs ect.

A floor pump/track pump!

DaveB wrote:
> On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
> touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
> The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
> of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
> people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.

As well as the obvious stuff (tubes, tyres, some spokes &
chains), some cheapy pedals could be useful. Just platforms
with toeloops - they'll get you home if you bust a pedal.

Joel Mayes wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>
>> On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
>> touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
>> The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand,
>> lots of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what
>> other people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.
>>
>> DaveB

> Just of the top of my head
>
> Tubes and Tyres
> Brake pad of various sizes
> Brake and shifter cables
> Kevlar emergency spokes! (I love these things)
> Chain lube (Though light motor will do in a pinch)
>
> Maybe also some basic tools like cassette locknut tools, allen keys 8 +
> 10 mm wrenchs spoke wrenchs ect.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

Tubes
Puncture kits
a couple of pumps.
And as above.

Bleve wrote:
> Joel Mayes wrote:
>
>>DaveB wrote:
>>
>>>On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
>>>touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
>>>The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
>>>of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
>>>people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.
>>>
>>>DaveB

>>Just of the top of my head
>>
>>Tubes and Tyres
>>Brake pad of various sizes
>>Brake and shifter cables
>>Kevlar emergency spokes! (I love these things)
>>Chain lube (Though light motor will do in a pinch)
>>
>>Maybe also some basic tools like cassette locknut tools, allen keys 8 +
>>10 mm wrenchs spoke wrenchs ect.

> A floor pump/track pump!

Bolted to the floor for general use :)

DaveB said:
On holiday I was asked what sort of bike parts would be useful for
touring cyclists to stock in a country service station/general store.
The general store at Smiths Gully has a good setup with one stand, lots
of basic spares so I'll have a look next BR. Was wondering what other
people's thoughts are. The nearest bike shop is about 30km away.

DaveB
Something like the BBB Parts Stands that have been appearing at LBSs would be a good start. So far I have been happy with the BBB stuff I have bought.