cycling paths in england

pipette

Mar 26, 2004
How and where to learn about the best cycling areas in England?
Are there special lanes all along? Is camping in the wild forbidden or tolerated? Are the itineraries marked?
As i regular biker round Belgium and The netherlands, I would like to change and go to England but I don't know anything about cycling there. Thandks for help.

Originally posted by pipette
Are there special lanes all along? Is camping in the wild forbidden or tolerated? Are the itineraries marked?
As i regular biker round Belgium and The netherlands, I would like to change and go to England but I don't know anything about cycling there. Thandks for help.

Hi, there are some good books which you can order from Ordnance Survey (www.ordsvy.gov.uk) and you can get cycling maps from sustrans.org.uk. There are some marked itineraries, but you are better off buying the maps or books just to make sure you know where to go! There aren't many cycle lanes except in cities, but it's usually ok.

I think you can only camp in camp sites, but there are a lot of these in England.

James

Originally posted by peshwengi
Hi, there are some good books which you can order from Ordnance Survey (www.ordsvy.gov.uk) and you can get cycling maps from sustrans.org.uk. There are some marked itineraries, but you are better off buying the maps or books just to make sure you know where to go! There aren't many cycle lanes except in cities, but it's usually ok.

I think you can only camp in camp sites, but there are a lot of these in England.

James

peshwengi said:

James

Just watch out for the potholes.

pipette said:
Hi Pipette,
Try Sustrans, they are on the web, they are resposible for most of the cycleways in this country, about 7,000 miles of them so far. They do plenty of maps and there is an on line shop.
Francis

Don't use cycle paths i ride often on the road and the only time i have come close to having an accident is when i came to the end of a cycle path which went on to a road, the cycle paths aren't linked very well at all especially where i live which is the west midlands

I ride on some cycle paths - there are alot of on road routes around - using quiet back roads. cycle paths are sometimes good, as you have the fact that there is no traffic, but there are also sometimes people walking along them, which can slow you down, but i shouldn't get so annoyed at the really - im not a racer, do mre touring really.

Hi,

Have a look at our website - we have picked some safe bike routes in the Greater Manchester area.
We are casual riders who want to improve fitness and also get away from traffic.
Check out the link below.

Thanks
JON