Cycling Peaks Software and Running

pooga13

Sep 9, 2004
I'm currently in Iraq and will be returning in time to bike Mount Washington. I will be purchasing the CycleOps PowerTap Pro (or if I can afford it, the SL). I will also be purchasing the Cycling Peaks software because everyone training with power states it is a requirement.:rolleyes:

My stupid question is:

Does this program have any extensions that can aid with running. Although there are plenty of software programs to log cycling miles, I have yet to come across one that will log running miles and analyze the data, (via HR, etc). All the running journals/training logs I have come across are on the net and do not provide guidance. I hope there is a running software program out there that someone is aware of.

Pooga,
aka Rich

pooga13 said:
I'm currently in Iraq and will be returning in time to bike Mount Washington. I will be purchasing the CycleOps PowerTap Pro (or if I can afford it, the SL). I will also be purchasing the Cycling Peaks software because everyone training with power states it is a requirement.:rolleyes:

My stupid question is:

Does this program have any extensions that can aid with running. Although there are plenty of software programs to log cycling miles, I have yet to come across one that will log running miles and analyze the data, (via HR, etc). All the running journals/training logs I have come across are on the net and do not provide guidance. I hope there is a running software program out there that someone is aware of.

Pooga,
aka Rich

If you have a Garmin Forerunner gps unit then there are quite of few data loggers such as: Motionbased, Topofusion, and on the Trainingpeaks website there is a gps based running training plan and software for data logging.

greg

yawg said:
If you have a Garmin Forerunner gps unit then there are quite of few data loggers such as: Motionbased, Topofusion, and on the Trainingpeaks website there is a gps based running training plan and software for data logging.

greg
Greg:

Thanks. I see that Garmin is coming out with a new unit to replace the Forerunner. So the Forerunner has dropped in price.:D Do you use the Forerunner? And if so do you prefer Motionbased or Training Peaks?

Rich

pooga13 said:
Greg:

Thanks. I see that Garmin is coming out with a new unit to replace the Forerunner. So the Forerunner has dropped in price.:D Do you use the Forerunner? And if so do you prefer Motionbased or Training Peaks?

Rich
I use the Geko 201. It wasn't designed as a running gps unit but it does an ok job as one. The Forerunner 205 looks like a winner if the new high sensitivity receiver does what the Garmin website proclaims it will do.

I use Topofusion to record and display my tracks. It downloads maps and imagery, has an ok log book and does lap/climbing analysis. I used to use Motionbased but haven't since it became a subscription based service. I haven't tried the Training Peaks yet but it looks pretty good.

greg