Cycling Peaks Software Question

mullerrj

Mar 26, 2007
I performed an FTP test on myself the other day (Cycleops Pro 300 PT). i.e. 20 min TT and using 95% of this value. After dividing my weight (kg) I came up with 3.3 watts/kg. When I checked on the Power Profile button in Cycling Peaks software it had my FTP Power to Weight Ratio as 2.8. Is that because Cycling Peaks Software uses a 60 min TT instead of 20 min TT data to plot/graph the chart? Thanks Rob

mullerrj said:
I performed an FTP test on myself the other day (Cycleops Pro 300 PT). i.e. 20 min TT and using 95% of this value. After dividing my weight (kg) I came up with 3.3 watts/kg. When I checked on the Power Profile button in Cycling Peaks software it had my FTP Power to Weight Ratio as 2.8. Is that because Cycling Peaks Software uses a 60 min TT instead of 20 min TT data to plot/graph the chart? Thanks Rob
The profile tool in WKO+ only shows results from actual efforts, not estimates, not formulas, no fancy math. IOW until you actually do a one hour best effort your FTP will show lower than it might actually be. Same holds for all the other time zones. If you don't get out and do a top end sprint your sprint numbers will be low. Many folks show 1 minute numbers in the "untrained" category when they're actually well trained and competive racers just because they haven't given it their all for a one minute effort.

All the profile tool does is show your best actual results. If you want to hold your FTP up to the charts then you have to do it yourself unless you go out and nail your FTP for a full one hour effort.

BTW be careful with Hunter's 20 minute x 0.95 estimate for FTP. It's only an estimate and a rough one at that. Everyone has different Monod-Scherrer CP curves which is why everyone has a different Mean Maximal Power Curve. You might have a 20 minute best to FTP relationship of 95% but it could just as easily be 92% if you have strong anaerobic reserves or 98% if your aerobic system dominates. You'll notice that Andy doesn't even mention the 20 min. x 0.95 method in his top seven ways to estimate FTP: http://www.osbmultisport.com/articles/7deadly.html

daveryanwyoming said:
The profile tool in WKO+ only shows results from actual efforts, not estimates, not formulas, no fancy math. IOW until you actually do a one hour best effort your FTP will show lower than it might actually be. Same holds for all the other time zones. If you don't get out and do a top end sprint your sprint numbers will be low. Many folks show 1 minute numbers in the "untrained" category when they're actually well trained and competive racers just because they haven't given it their all for a one minute effort.

All the profile tool does is show your best actual results. If you want to hold your FTP up to the charts then you have to do it yourself unless you go out and nail your FTP for a full one hour effort.

BTW be careful with Hunter's 20 minute x 0.95 estimate for FTP. It's only an estimate and a rough one at that. Everyone has different Monod-Scherrer CP curves which is why everyone has a different Mean Maximal Power Curve. You might have a 20 minute best to FTP relationship of 95% but it could just as easily be 92% if you have strong anaerobic reserves or 98% if your aerobic system dominates. You'll notice that Andy doesn't even mention the 20 min. x 0.95 method in his top seven ways to estimate FTP: http://www.osbmultisport.com/articles/7deadly.html
I've found my FTP results (via Coggan) to be consistent with the 75% MAP test (cited in your link)- that I've also performed.