Cycling Playlist - Best Music To Ride To

I listen unplugged. I would rather hear traffic around me unhindered and unmuffled and hear the sounds of nature rather then distracting noise, plus I can't stand the sound quality of ear buds. I have a place in my living room where I listen to music, and I have a place on my bike I listen to nature.

Reactions: bbud and jpr95
Originally Posted by Froze .

I listen unplugged. I would rather hear traffic around me unhindered and unmuffled and hear the sounds of nature rather then distracting noise, plus I can't stand the sound quality of ear buds. I have a place in my living room where I listen to music, and I have a place on my bike I listen to nature.

+1 Same here....

"Might as well be enjoying yourself while getting hit by a car." HAHA this got me a few weird looks at work when I laughed to myself, but I completely agree. Even if you hear a car coming, they are on your butt so fast there's no time to react. The best thing you can do is hug the shoulder and try not to make any erratic moves that put you in the middle of the lane, with or without headphones.

Originally Posted by Buckeyes .

"Might as well be enjoying yourself while getting hit by a car." HAHA this got me a few weird looks at work when I laughed to myself, but I completely agree. Even if you hear a car coming, they are on your butt so fast there's no time to react. The best thing you can do is hug the shoulder and try not to make any erratic moves that put you in the middle of the lane, with or without headphones.
This is so incorrect it's not funny! Yes you can hear a car coming up from behind you, and you can tell, if you pay attention, exactly what the drivers intentions are. If your coming up to an intersection and you hear the engine suddenly make more noise due to acceleration, then you can bet your life that the driver will want to turn in front of you perhaps cutting you off or worse hit you in the process. So now you plug your ears with music and smackaroo you've got a problem, oh that's right you turn down the volumn enough you think you can hear...except a lot of today's cars don't make all that much noise. There's a slew of reasons you should be hearing all that you can hear. Sure if a car is weaving and making no unusual sounds they could whack you without ever providing a warning. Some roads have side rumble strips, if a car is weaving and crosses those you will hear it if your not plugged up, and take action that could save your life.

Reactions: bbud and jpr95
And, I started reading this thread for some interesting new tunes, but it seems to be a 'pros and cons' debate regarding the actual listening to music whilst riding...

I have to concede that having music playing on headphones whilst out on a ride isn't as safe as being plugged into your environment and hearing, as well as seeing potential dangers.
I generally listen to music, but often use just one headphone. This way, I am motivated by the 'tunes' whilst still being aware of dangers.
As Gene Simmons comments in his book 'Sex, Money, Kiss';
'Why bother (add any poorly thought out argument), we might get run over by a bus tomorrow, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look both ways before crossing the road'...

I have to agree with JonnyQuest and say that the Rocky IV sound track will always be a winner. Great beats and we're motivated and anchored by the movies premise of 'with training, results come', so it's pretty inspiring and then it becomes more than just music...

As for me, I have a iPod Shuffle with around 80 songs that I listen to and motivate me.
I think Eminem's latest album 'Recovery' is very good, particularly 'I'm not afraid', as it is about him overcoming addiction and therefore both motivating and inspiring. 'Love the way you lie' on that album is really punchy and a great beat to ride fast to.
On long ride I do listen to audio books, which is great, as time passes really nicely and in essence, you've read a book and had a great ride at the same time! ;-)

Andrew.

danza kuduro from the fast and furious soundtrack for me is the best song ever while training.

When I'm on my mountain bike I just hear the nature sounds obviously on country roads, but I ride more on my road bike in the city..I found out a place in town that is not dangerous, not much traffic, whatever it's a great road to ride my bike with no fear...I ride 2 hours or so on that road to train and it becomes bored because I stay at the same place for over 2 hours a day giving turns..and listening to music I can distract a little and if it's playing the old and good rock n roll as ac/dc, ozzy osbourne, deep purple, etc. I ride much more fast.

Rule #62 You shall not ride with earphones.
Cycling is about getting outside and into the elements and you don’t need to be listening to Queen or Slayer in order to experience that. Immerse yourself in the rhythm and pain, not in whatever 80′s hair band you call “music”. See Rule #5 and ride your bike.8

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/

How timely, I just received this from Road Bike Review in a news letter written by Neal Bowser, maybe this will open some eyes? Then maybe not, but here's the letter:

[SIZE=11.0pt]The Danger of Distracted Riding[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]These I believe to be true: Roadies hate – hate! – seeing a driver with their mobile phone glued to their ear or, even worse, holding it in front of them as they text while driving. Roadies love – love! – our bike computers, GPS and other electronic devices. These ever-advancing tools help us measure, gauge performance, map and explore the roads we ride. But are our cycling gadgets becoming a bane to road safety, much like mobile phones? Is distracted riding a danger similar to distracted driving?[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]RBR reader Neal Bowser thinks so. And so do I. Neal wrote us a few weeks ago with an illuminating story from a recent ride, along with info about a lawsuit concerning two airplanes crashing that could, paradoxically, have implications for cyclists.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]First, the riding story.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]“What brought this to mind was an incident that I observed while riding on BRAG (Bike Ride Across Georgia) this year,” Neal began. “I watched as a friend fiddled with his GPS unit while riding down a lonely country road. His attention was only diverted (according to him) for a few seconds, yet he came dangerously close to running off the side of the road and down into a deep ditch. Later, he also slowed down at an inappropriate and unexpected time and created yet another ‘almost’ incident! No one followed him after that.” It’s bad enough simply dealing with overall traffic, uptight and distracted drivers on our rides. “We inadvertently add to the problem,” Neal continues, “by using a plethora of sophisticated electronic devices that, by their nature, have the potential to divert our [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]concentration away from our primary responsibility; that is, riding in a safe manner.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Now, the airplane story.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]“There’s currently an interesting liability case weaving its way through the legal system that, oddly, could impact cycling,” Neal wrote. “It involves two airplanes that collided mid-air, killing four people. “The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) investigated the accident and determined that one pilot was negligent because his attention was focused on his Garmin GPS unit rather than on the ‘real world’ outside the cockpit. As a result, he overtook and collided with the other aircraft on a perfectly clear day. “The estate of the at-fault pilot sued Garmin for not properly warning users of inherent distraction hazards and risks associated with electronic displays. This case could provide valuable insight into distraction hazards that affect our sport.” Indeed, it’s not a stretch to imagine a cyclist crashing – and perhaps dying – under similar circumstances. The NTSB met recently to discuss the deadly ramifications of distracted driving, and one NTSB member thinks it will have to become a societal taboo -- like drinking and driving -- to be taken seriously enough. “Distraction is becoming the new DUI (driving under the influence),” NTSB member Robert Sumwalt said. “This is going to reach epidemic proportions. It takes a generation or two to change it, but change is needed.” So what can roadies do to continue to enjoy our on-board gizmos -- but not at the expense of safety? Follow a set of common-sense guidelines, the same as we do for other activities that we accomplish while riding (like drinking, wiping, blowing, etc.). Here’s a starter list. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Bike computers and GPS units should only be set (or reset) while stopped.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] Choosing the route, clearing your last ride’s data, etc., should become just another pre-ride (or post-ride) routine so you don’t have to mess with it when you’re rolling.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Never touch or look at your device while in a pace line.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] This is the same rule we follow when drinking, blowing, eating, and such. And it’s even more important when it comes to an electronic device; it only takes a split-second distraction to make you veer off course, touch another wheel, not see a rider stand up, etc.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]Only glance at your device or scroll to a different screen after first checking around you to make sure there are no other riders or cars nearby.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] Keep a safety zone for your sake, and theirs. If you’ve never looked up from checking your device and realized you veered off your line, then you’re in the minority.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]Just peek at your device, don’t stare at it.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] Learn the screens or display of your device at home, sitting on the couch, so that you know exactly where to look to find the desired info while on a ride. Even then, keep your glances very, very brief.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]Only check one piece of information at a time.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] Don’t think you need to know your heart rate, the gradient of the climb, and your average speed all at once. Establishing in your mind the ONE thing you’re going to look at when you glance down will help you avoid wandering all over the screen.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]Spend your time exploring metrics at home, after the ride.[/SIZE][SIZE=9.0pt] Many devices allow us to download our data onto websites, into spreadsheets, and email it to friends. If you want to dive deep into your ride metrics, do it from the comfort and safety of home.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=9.0pt]As Neal so aptly put it in his email to me: “We need to retain as many of our senses as possible, and remain alert and responsive.”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Stay focused, my friends.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Enjoy Your Ride![/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]John Marsh[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9.0pt]Editor & Publisher; RBR[/SIZE]

I do not listen to music whilst cycling but when im indoor on the trainer i will listen to;-
American Headcharge
Slipknot
and possibly some Prodigy.
Gets the juices flowing.

HAHA

When I ride, I like to listen to the sound of the wind, the occasional desert creature, and for the sound of cars coming from behind me. If I want to increase my heart rate prior to a ride I have a range of tastes: The Cramps, Eagles of Death Metal, The Revolting Cocks, 1000 **** DJ's, Butthole Surfers........Sometimes it's something like this, Warsaw from Joy Division (when they were Warsaw):

Originally Posted by qdc15 .

If I had your taste in music I wouldn't listen while riding either. Agreed that wind, desert creatures and traffic sound better than that noise. :) Cocks, Homos, Buttholes... haha, to each his own.
Ok, how about some Al Jourgensen projects/bands that don't use words that make you question your own sexual preferences: Ministry, Killing Joke, Prong, Lard (along with, at least some of the time, and effervescent Jello Biafra), Pigface, Pailhead.....Al is a legend both in music and in the effects of chemicals on the human body.

For the easy days on the bike, Gogol Bordello is a great prelude to riding, as are The Dickies, The Gossip, and MDC. Here's a jaunty MDC ditty:

The Killers-All these things that i have done, about right in the middle of the song when they go "Ive got soul but, im not a solider"