Cycling Playlist - Best Music To Ride To

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bedwards1000, May 24, 2011.

1. Buckeyes

Buckeyes New Member

Sail by Awolnation

2. cristinajohn

cristinajohn New Member

Its good to have some music when we are cycling. I suggest you to listen the music that are rocking in which inspire us rather to choose slow music.

3. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Rode the trainer a couple of times last week due to cold rain and wind. I will listen to music while on the trainer and I got some killer intervals in while listening to Within Temptation, especially the song In the Middle Of the Night.

4. ThEdge

ThEdge New Member

Okay, I'm middle of the road on this one.

I always thought it was stupid beyond belief that people rode with earphones in.....

Then I started commuting, 14.25miles each way, I know the rules say that should be in Km's but I am English and have no idea what Km is....
    Anyway, started commuting, slowly. Tried the MP3 machine thingy, not too quiet, not overly loud. I hear the traffic, I still know where the cars are behind me, the tyre noise is still there, I can feel where the car is and where the driver is planning on going. I still know when they are about to overtake in a stupid place.

So, music? I can never decide, tried some "Foo Fighters", bit of "Grid" Elbow worked quite well for a while (been commuting for 10 months now, currently listening to nature...)

5. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Wow. You've got things completely in hand then. What do all those researchers and experts know, anyway!

6. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

Disturbed for me, gets me motivated, not a huge one for riding and listening to tunes but we have alot of dual lane bike paths here that stretch for km on end so ill usually put an earplug in when im riding on the bike paths.

7. ThEdge

ThEdge New Member

Well,maybe, maybe not. Perhaps it is the incredibly poor road surface we have on the roads I use make the tyre noise a whole lot louder?
    Research produces stats and percentages, I rrrely fall into the major group when a statistic comes along......

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Plus 1

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

10. ThEdge

ThEdge New Member

Of course the other side of that is, I don't have the music blaring.
    I have it on,but not loud, I just need the rhythm, so the wind noise may block out the music sometimes.
    Do you need it any louder than that? I can't think why....

11. mozaix129

mozaix129 New Member

You just use your right ear bud on a low volume and leave your left ear free to hear the cars since its the closest to them

12. alienator

Epic fail. The music playing your ear detracts from whatever attention you are paying toward your surroundings.

13. MotownBikeBoy

MotownBikeBoy Active Member

I'm late to the big debate. I'm firmly on the side of " listens to". But I do agree that headphones are dangerous. I have an iPod mount up front, and a small bike bag mounted on the bar under the seat. The bag fits a Jensen Bluetooth wireless stereo speaker. Played at a moderate level, I see no problem. I will also say this, my time in roads with traffic is low. My community has an extensive network of paved trails, making biking I like up-tempo stuff while riding. I have a little of everything from the Beatles to 'Dos', the last release from Green Day. No country, no rap to speak of.

14. jcstilley

jcstilley New Member

15. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

16. GaryBPT

GaryBPT New Member

I'm well in to my Florence and the Machine at the moment for both running and cycling, with the exception of a few songs they have a pretty consistant flow throughout their tracks.

17. MotownBikeBoy

I seem to pick an artist or band and run with them for a week or two until I get bored, and then move on. Right now, I'm listening to a lot of Bon Jovi. I can even forgive them for making the country-inspired album Lost Highway because it's actually really good, even if it was written and produced in (shudders as he types) Nashville.

18. alienator

It's impossible to forgive Bon Jovi for existing and the damage they've done to rock music.

19. GaryBPT

GaryBPT New Member

I've just been out on a long cycle to the new Ministry of Sound 90's Anthems album, on a sunny English day like today it was perfect for keeping my motivation levels at their peak!

20. MotownBikeBoy

Ah, not a Bon Jovi fan. I was feeling very mellow tonight, I dropped the rock in favor of some nice, mellow jazz-influenced r&b, Sade and Detroit's own Anita Baker.