Cycling Playlist - Best Music To Ride To

bedwards1000

May 12, 2011
What are your favorite songs to ride to. Enter them here. I'm always looking for new songs to get me moving. Let's try to keep this going - if there is a new song that makes you ride fast - POST IT!

Crystal Method: Double Down Under - (has a freight train beat that will get you moving)
Flobots - Combat (bouncy)
Future Funk Squad: Zones/4Kuba Mix (fast fast fast)

I searched for a thread like this but didn't find any that had been active for years.

I seem to like a lot of Chili Peppers, White Stripes, and Fallout Boy on my list. The best to get me through a bonk or to motivate me? Some good Delta or Chicago Blues!! I have BB King, Muddy Waters, and Aretha on my playlist too.

WE-E-E-E-E-E-E DAWGY!!!!

here's my favorite ditty at the moment:

(sung to the tune of "The Beverly Hillbillies" theme song)

come and listen to a story 'bout a cyclist wannabe,

thick as a brick. "she" used to be a "he".

flames humble posters out of blatant jealousy

he looks like the hulk, 'cos he's green with envy

("she", that is. post op. texas t.v.)

now the first thing you know, the troll starts telling me,

"don't use to meny words, 'cos this ain't no spellin' bee!"

he can only unnerstan if you dumb it down, you see...

he dropped out of school, and he flunked his g.e.d.

("her", that is. swampy1970)

Umm how exactly do you guys listen to music while cycling? Cos i always thought it was dangerous listening to music while cycling, especially how you can't hear an approaching vehicle on the road. And the danger of your cable falling and getting caught in a moving part of your bike (happened to me once).

Not trying to start an argument or anything btw. I really want to listen to music while cycling :D

The way I look at it is:
- Cycling is WAY more dangerous than not cycling so I've already taken the bulk of the risk.
- If a car is going to plow into you from behind, it's going to do it whether you are wearing headphones or not. Might as well be enjoying yourself while getting hit by a car.
- In areas where it is likely that a car will make a right turn in front of me I pop the left side earbud out so I can monitor traffic. Most of my riding is on country roads.
- I ride with a mirror so I get a much better idea of where cars are than most of the riders i see that don't.
- I like riding to music. If people didn't do things they liked even though they increased risk we wouldn't have, well, sports. (skydiving, alpine skiing, mountaineering NASCAR racing...all pretty risky)

My latest riding inspiration comes from Shpongle - "Nothing Lasts - But Nothing Is Lost"

Favorite Playlist consists of one "song", the singing of the tires on the pavement. I don't particularly like to listen to music when I ride because I am usually too busy listening to what is going on around me. I don't care if other folks listen to music, unless I am trying to communicate something to them and they cannot hear me, like when I am yelling "On your left" on the local bike path and they still continue riding down the center rather than getting over so others can pass.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Favorite Playlist consists of one "song", the singing of the tires on the pavement. I don't particularly like to listen to music when I ride because I am usually too busy listening to what is going on around me. I don't care if other folks listen to music, unless I am trying to communicate something to them and they cannot hear me, like when I am yelling "On your left" on the local bike path and they still continue riding down the center rather than getting over so others can pass.

Same for me....

Originally Posted by kdelong .

Me too. I save the music for the indoor trainer. Out and about I am focused on the ride and my surroundings.

Reactions: bbud
Originally Posted by bedwards1000 .

My latest riding inspiration comes from Shpongle - "Nothing Lasts - But Nothing Is Lost"
When i cycle to music i am a big fan of the old mushroom. that mixed with some dubstep really get the legs moving.

I use over ear big style earphones. as the only thing you really NEED to hear is a motorbike revving it's engine behind you, and you can hear that anyway.

If you are aware enough (which you should be) then your ears are pretty much out of the equation.

I only listen to music when I'm on a bike trail and away from traffic, & even then it's not as loud as I listen while at the gym. I typically just throw my music library on shuffle, but I always go harder (whatever I'm doing at the time) when Andrew W.K. comes on.

Good suggestion on the Andrew W.K. I have never listened to him but I'm going to now. That's what I'm looking for, some new tunes to get me moving.

Anything by ACDC. Led Zep has some good stuff too, as does the Prodigy.

But never outside - only inside on the trainer.

I'm dating myself I think.

Word of warning - This track WILL cause you to cycle like a complete maniac.
probably best to leave this one off your mp3 unless your comfortable making a
bus-lorry death combo overtake -

Anything by Joe Bonamassa I work out to him as well incredible guitarist and blues singer :) and Blackfoot, Skynard they all kick ass get my legs pumping and heart racing.

I listen to Rush, Led Zep, The gratefuldead, the counting crows, alanis moriset, rat dog, the civil wars, john Denver, pink floyd........ in ear buds full blast. I have a rear view mirror. Try one.