cycling promotion alliance

alison_b

New Member
Feb 24, 2005
I am sure others know more about this group than I, but while we're all writing letters... I mean... we are still writing letters, right? ;)

cheers,
ali

Recieved on another forum:

Dear Colleagues

We are writing to you to ask for your support.
Cycling has become the 4th most popular physical activity in Australia and
over the last 5 years, in excess of 5 million bicycles have been sold. This
is great news at a time when Governments are searching for solutions to the
increasing obesity levels and congestion in our cities.

The national cycling strategy is currently being renewed which provides a
wonderful opportunity to demonstrate national leadership and commitment to
enable Australia to achieve the many benefits increased levels of cycling
can bring to individuals, communities, Governments and the environment.

Despite arguing that "the renewed National Cycling Strategy comes at a
critical moment for all three spheres of Government" and "signals the
potential for, and supports, a new direction.." (p7 of the draft), the
draft strategy does not make the necessary commitment to provide the
framework required for Australia to take advantage of this potential. On
page two of the draft it surprisingly states its intention to avoid such a
commitment by stating:

"it is not a strategy of the Australian Government (Commonwealth)"
We believe strongly that the proposed strategies and actions outlined in
the draft and the proposed management and coordination structure will not
provide the framework required to significantly increase cycling in Australia.

The Cycling Promotion Alliance calls on organisations, individuals and
businesses to respond to the draft document of the Australian National
Cycling Strategy 2005 to 2010. Deadline for responses to the draft is 16
May 2005.

We have set up a website which includes the key asks, draft letters and a
link to make online submissions.
www.cyclingpromotionalliance.com.au
Deadline for the online response is the 16 May 2005
We would greatly appreciate if you or your organisation could make an
online submission and if you could encourage other people to make online
submissions and to write letters to the relevant ministers.

We aim to mobilise the diverse interest in the health, environment, urban
planning, education and transport sector to give a clear message to the
Federal Government that the current draft strategy lacks vision, commitment
and does not include any benchmark or targets.

Thank you for support. Together we can make a difference.
Kind regards
Rosemarie Speidel
on behalf of the Cycling Promotion Alliance
Tel. 03 97553557

alison_b said:
I am sure others know more about this group than I, but while we're all writing letters... I mean... we are still writing letters, right? ;)

cheers,
ali

Recieved on another forum:

Dear Colleagues

We are writing to you to ask for your support.
Cycling has become the 4th most popular physical activity in Australia and
over the last 5 years, in excess of 5 million bicycles have been sold. This
is great news at a time when Governments are searching for solutions to the
increasing obesity levels and congestion in our cities.

Yeah, remember to support the Big Picture. That goes for everyone who cycles, including the singletrack ppl and those other tribes, some who even who shave their legs. Counting down the sleeps to the TdF...... :D

Update: refer below for a important message about the extended deadline for the Renewal of National Cycling Strategy.