Cycling Promotion Fund - Bike Lighting Campaign

cfsmtb

New Member
Apr 11, 2003
4,963
From the bike-oz list, very interesting considering the recent BV lighting news article from last week,

============================

Dear Colleagues,

Autumn is such a great time for bike riding. The Cycling Promotion Fund is
running a campaign to encourage bicycle riders to get lights for their
bicycles to enable them to take advantage of the wonderful autumn days
without putting themselves at risk by having no lights when it gets dark
early.

We also want to inform bicycle riders that the technology in lights has been
advancing enormously over the last few years and the lights available today
are reliable, effective, practical and affordable.

We have sent out press releases to all major metropolitan and regional
newspapers and radio stations and have drafted a press release for cycling
organisations and bicycle retailers to adapt and send out to their relevant
media contacts.

below is the link to the press release which can be adapted by your
organisation.

http://www.cyclingpromotion.com/lights.doc

We also developed a fact sheet on lighting for consumer to assist them in
making an informed choice when purchasing lights. Feel free to use the fact
sheet as you see appropriate, eg. email to members, put on your website,
include in mailouts etc, include in your newsletter....

http://www.cyclingpromotion.com/lights.pdf

We encourage you to keep the campaign positive by encouraging the right
behaviour rather than finger pointing at the bicycle riders who break the
law, which has the potential to get motorists who don't like bicycle riders
on the road, with further ammunition.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks for your assistance in spreading the word and educating bicycle
riders and parents of bicycle riders how they can maintain riding in autumn
and winter without increased risk of not being seen.

Kind regards
Rosemarie Speidel
Program Director
Cycling Promotion Fund
Tel./Fax 03 97553557
www.cyclingpromotion.com
The bicycle industry working to make Australia more bicycle friendly

cfsmtb said:

well, this time of year would probably make sense that light sales are being pushed, but the cynic (and perpetrator of many manufactured/lobbied news 'stories') cant but help make me think there is a more direct link between BV's campaign and CPF. Not that i care, mind. If it means more people riding more often, safely and arriving alive its all good

F"standing on the abyss of wheel-building 101 and needing a stiff drink!"Dutch

flyingdutch wrote:

> F"standing on the abyss of wheel-building 101 and needing a stiff
> drink!"Dutch

Just ONE.
No matter how much you want a second and third opinion, just ONE {:).

Being able to build your own wheels is a nice feeling.

flyingdutch wrote:

> F"standing on the abyss of wheel-building 101 and needing a stiff
> drink!"Dutch

I've been thinking of giving it a go for a while but didn't want to
waste money on hubs and rims and then stuffing the job. Then I realised
in the shed earlier tonight that I had an old MTB wheel with a stuffed
hub so I reckon I might pull that apart and put back together. Then if
that turns out ok I can give it a go with decent hubs and rims.

DaveB "glad to never throw anything out"

DaveB wrote:

> flyingdutch wrote:
> >
> > F"standing on the abyss of wheel-building 101 and needing a stiff
> > drink!"Dutch
> >

> I've been thinking of giving it a go for a while but didn't want to
> waste money on hubs and rims and then stuffing the job.

Our council doesn't have annual clean ups. instead property owners can
have four pickups of rubbish per years. So if you are looking for a
wheel to practice on, then you just ride around on Mondays & Tues with
spanner in hand.

cfsmtb said:
From the bike-oz list, very interesting considering the recent
below is the link to the press release which can be adapted by your
organisation.
http://www.cyclingpromotion.com/lights.doc
We also developed a fact sheet on lighting for consumer to assist them in
http://www.cyclingpromotion.com/lights.pdf

thanks, I'll put the printed PDF up at work.

Bit simplistic, it mentions high end light prices but not L-Ion batteries.

And the idea that you pay more for a "brighter" LED, <$10 for a pre-Frog Knog, paying more isn't going to get anything brighter.

"aeek" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bit simplistic, it mentions high end light prices but not L-Ion
> batteries.
>
> And the idea that you pay more for a "brighter" LED, <$10 for a
> pre-Frog Knog, paying more isn't going to get anything brighter.

I don't know about this Knog light, but the newer LED lights are a bit more
expensive than ten dollars and a lot brighter. eg. S-Sun 3-led tail-light,
Vistalite Nebula 5-led, Cateye Opticube 1 lux headlight.

The first two are about $40. Are they 4 times brighter than the Knog? I
doubt it. Are they a better buy as a light? Most definitely.

Cheers
Peter