cycling pumps - small and easy to carry?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by james.dippel, Jun 15, 2003.

1. james.dippel

james.dippel New Member

I'm looking for a small pump that is capable of fitting into my Jersey pocket. Obviously I require it to inflate pressures of 90+ PSI.

Many thanks.
    p.s. i'm in the U.K.

Tags:

2. Kupa

Kupa New Member

I've had good luck with CO2 cartridge devices. I carry the dispenser, 3 cartridges and a spare tube. The key for me has been to be fast and precise when puncturing the cartridge, sealing the dispenser and filling the tube.

3. james.dippel

james.dippel New Member

Thanks for the prompt reply...

stupid question (maybe), however, how many catridges do you need to inflate a 900x33 tube to 90PSI?

Are they 'one shot' or can you use a value to turn them on and off in order to obtain the correct pressure? Also, how do you know you've obtained the correct pressure? by feel, or assuming they are 'one shot' do you just over-inflate them and then let air out as needed in order to get the right PSI?

4. Kupa

Kupa New Member

James,

I've found that I roughly get about 90 psi in a 700 x 23, or about 45 psi in a 26 x 1.9 from a single small cartridge.

I use an opder dispenser that has a lever to open the valve, so I can modulate how CO2 I want in the tube. I've seen some much better designed dispensers out on the market these days though.

Cheers

5. CA90290

CA90290 New Member

Crank Brothers Power Pump. Length 5.75" Weight 98 grams. Max psi: 100 Presta/Schrader All the general catalogs have it (Performance, Nashbar, etc.)

6. idealhilton

idealhilton New Member

giyo (the taiwanese factory who make most brands of pumps) makes a nice new road specific pump in anodised aluminium, not particularly short but nice & slim. email me if you need a shot.