cycling-related names

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by sinus, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.

    I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something related to cycling.

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    sinus wrote:

    > Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins
    > recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.
    >
    > I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something
    > related to cycling.
    >
    > --
    > sinus

    Maybe Mrs Aitken is a musician. I thought if I had a boy his name would
    be Daniel Kadence <insert surname here>. The K was just to be different.
    You should give your wife the musical definition and insist it has
    nothing to do with cycling. Might not work so well if you want to call
    your kid "chainstay".

  3. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    How about Kierin if it's a boy, Madison if it's a girl....

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Shabby" <[email protected]

    > sinus Wrote:
    > > Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins
    > > recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.
    > >
    > > I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something
    > > related to cycling.

    > How about Kierin if it's a boy, Madison if it's a girl....

    I was going to name my first born Dura-Ace
    and his brother RaceFace. Gary Fisher crossed
    my mind but then I'd have to change my surname.
    Ellsworth if it's a girl or maybe Free Agent?
    Iron Horse?

    hippy ;-)

  5. hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I was going to name my first born Dura-Ace
    > and his brother RaceFace. Gary Fisher crossed
    > my mind but then I'd have to change my surname.
    > Ellsworth if it's a girl or maybe Free Agent?
    > Iron Horse?
    >
    > hippy ;-)

    A bit off topic but a friend of mine spent some time in Samoa where
    there is still a cargo cult. One family had two sons Fisher and Paykel.

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  6. blah

    blah Guest

    "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Shabby" <[email protected]
    > >
    > > sinus Wrote:
    > > > Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins
    > > > recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.
    > > >
    > > > I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something
    > > > related to cycling.

    > > How about Kierin if it's a boy, Madison if it's a girl....

    > I was going to name my first born Dura-Ace
    > and his brother RaceFace. Gary Fisher crossed
    > my mind but then I'd have to change my surname.
    > Ellsworth if it's a girl or maybe Free Agent?
    > Iron Horse?
    >
    > hippy ;-)

    This is no joke - my fiance and I will call our dog (we'll get one
    when we buy a place and stop renting) Stuart O'Grady. Originally it
    was going to be Stuart O'Grady Of Team Credit Agricole, but then he
    moved to Cofidis and we just don't think it's got the same ring to it.
    Oh yeah, Stuart will be pronounced Stoo-art just like Magnus Backstaed
    says it.

    Our kids will be called Spokey-Dokey and Wishbone-Stays.

  7. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    I thought that Ewan McEwan was a rather cruel aliterative joke by Robbie.
    How about Axel (Axle) Merckx?

  8. bjay

    bjay Guest

    "sinus" wrote

    > Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins
    > recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.
    >
    > I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something
    > related to cycling.

    We had a little girl 4 weeks ago. I tried for Cadence, no luck!

    Bjay

  9. Bunyip

    Bunyip New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Cate Blanchett named her baby Dash, so why not Spin? :) Or to be a real geek, why not Kert for a boy (it's Trek backwards).

  10. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    My current surname started off several years ago as a bike related nickname, something to do with Malvern **** bicycles. Cool, short & kinda cute, much like me. (true!) :D ;) :p

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hehe. Wasnt the top of the line Malvern Star bike denoted by 5 stars?
    (SuzyJ? didnt you research this?)

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected] wrote

    > cfsmtb Wrote:
    > > My current surname started off several years ago as a bike related
    > > nickname, something to do with Malvern **** bicycles. Cool, short &
    > > kinda cute, much like me. (true!) :D ;) :p

    > hehe. Wasnt the top of the line Malvern Star bike denoted by 5 stars?
    > (SuzyJ? didnt you research this?)

    Indeed:
    http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Austria/Australia/Malvern_5_star.htm

    hippy

  13. ausgirl

    ausgirl New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2004
    They're both nice names, but only cyclists would get it. Everyone else would think you'd chosen those names for other reasons. Keiran is becoming common because of well, obviously Keiran Perkins, and as for Madison - there are so many little girls (0-6yrs old) with that name that its becoming very common.

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "ausgirl" <[email protected]

    > Shabby Wrote:
    > > How about Kierin if it's a boy, Madison if it's a girl....

    > They're both nice names, but only cyclists would get it. Everyone else
    > would think you'd chosen those names for other reasons. Keiran is
    > becoming common because of well, obviously Keiran Perkins, and as for
    > Madison - there are so many little girls (0-6yrs old) with that name
    > that its becoming very common.

    Teampursuit has a nice ring to it..

    hippy
    - 2hrs on the bike and not enough sugar shows eh?

  15. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    Bike related nicknames if you are:...

    ...Slow witted - Link (missing)

    ...Gay - Campy

    ...Talkative - Spoke

    ...A drug dealer - Pedal

    ...The center of attention - Hub

    ...Leaving school - Dropout

    ...A gas station attendent - Pump

    ...A real cow - Jersey

    ...Short - Stem

    ...Weird - Crank

    ...German - Helm*t

    ...Crazy - Cyco

    ...Smooth - Lycra

    ...A bum - Chamois

    ...'Armless - Gillet

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Dominic Sansom" <[email protected]
    > wrote in message

    news:D[email protected]

    > Bike related nicknames if you are:...
    > ..Slow witted - Link (missing)
    > ..Gay - Campy

    <snip>

    Give the man a microphone and a stage! :-D
    You're not real busy today are ya? ;-)

    hippy

  17. Lotte

    Lotte New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2004
    I know a couple, both into cycling, who called their kid 'Ryder'. Not kidding.

  18. ::dom::

    ::dom:: New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2004
    Funnily enough I'm flat out today... but always got time for a "bike related" break.

    Here's a few more... Bike related names for a:

    ...dog... Stay

    ...pretty girl... Bell

    ...slippery character... Lube

  19. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    if you has triplets you would have to call the little one 'Granny'.
    How about Captain and Stoker for twins?

  20. sinus <[email protected]> writes:

    > Brett Aitken, Olympic gold medallist and Cycle2max guru had twins
    > recently, Brianna Rose and Cadence Skye.
    >
    > I wonder if I can convince my wife to name our next child something
    > related to cycling.

    Madison is a semipopular girl's name, and Kirin sounds acceptable as
    well.

    http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
    Free the Memes.