Cycling round Lake Como???

::dom::

Feb 28, 2004
Anyone done it?

I wsthinking it's be a nice ride... take a couple of days... do it slow... stay on the flat as much as poss.

Any advice welcome particularly where to eat, stay etc.

Cheers

Dom, from what I hear that would be a very enjoyable ride. I am from Rome, so cannot really help you with any details. I suggest you post in this Italian forum - www.bdc-forum.it - there are more than enough English speakers to help you out with the details there.

Be sure to take a lot of pictures when you go. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy a condo there.

alienator said:
Be sure to take a lot of pictures when you go. As soon as I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy a condo there.
It is one of the nicer bits of the world...

dom...

the area around como is spectacular, but it's not very flat. the ride from como to bellagio is about 30k, with a few rollers but no real climbs.

if you're in the area, you really should do the ride from bellagio up the madonna del ghisallo. it's a legendary route, and well-worth the effort...about 10km total, and the first 3km are the toughest at about 14%.

for hotels...if you want a cheap, clean semi-hostel-kinda place, try the hotel riva al lago in como. it's about a block from the lake, around the corner from both the como nord train station and the palace hotel. you can get a room there for about 45 euros per nite...much better than the 200 euros you'll pay at the palace.

caffetrieste said:
dom...

the area around como is spectacular, but it's not very flat. the ride from como to bellagio is about 30k, with a few rollers but no real climbs.

if you're in the area, you really should do the ride from bellagio up the madonna del ghisallo. it's a legendary route, and well-worth the effort...about 10km total, and the first 3km are the toughest at about 14%.

for hotels...if you want a cheap, clean semi-hostel-kinda place, try the hotel riva al lago in como. it's about a block from the lake, around the corner from both the como nord train station and the palace hotel. you can get a room there for about 45 euros per nite...much better than the 200 euros you'll pay at the palace.

That's the reason I want to go. I bought my wife a Madonna del Ghisallo medal to hang on her bike (like all good Catholics). I swapped her frame and put the medal on my keyring so I didn't loose it while I was rebuilding the bike. Someone asked what it was and I showed them a pic of the Chapel online... there was also a map of Lake Como and pics of the area.. AND LOCAL FOOD. That sparked the idea... so you could say the Madonna is leading me there :p :rolleyes:

alienator said:

LOTS of pics.. for sure. Condo.. yup, me too... or a B&B specially for cyclists :)

Powerful Pete said:
Dom, from what I hear that would be a very enjoyable ride. I am from Rome, so cannot really help you with any details. I suggest you post in this Italian forum - www.bdc-forum.it - there are more than enough English speakers to help you out with the details there.
Will do... fanx!

Powerful Pete said:

Powerful Pete, I need your help registering on www.bdc-forum.it. There is an option for registering in English but the "security" question is in Italian. I promise to learn Italian before I go to Italy but for now could you answer this question for me?

"in che mese cade ferragosto?"

Cheers :)

If you plan to cycle right around the lake, it's pretty long -- i think about 160kms. The best parts of the ride would be on the western shore of the eastern arm of the lake (i.e. between Bellagio and Como). This part has less traffic and has recently been paved. An alternative to riding around the lake would be to cut the ride short by using the the ferry's to cross the lake, but then get in a ride on the Passo del Ghisallo, and if you really like STEEP hills do the Muro di Sormanno.

More information is here:

http://www.griante.com/index_en.php?page=ghisallo