Cycling routes in Sydney

mmamster

Jan 2, 2004
I would have preferred to post this in the ausbicycle section but I don't seem to have access....

I am a cyclist from Melbourne, living close to Beach Road, where I usually ride on weekends.

I am heading to Sydney for work for 4 months, and am wondering if there is an equivalent cycling area to Beach rd in Sydney - ie where a lot of cyclists go and the traffic is used to us (no comments about road rage on Beach Rd please).

I will be living in the Sydney CBD and have read that Centennial Park is a good meeting place for club rides but I am looking for some where I can ride solo in relative safety.

Thanks

MMAMSTER

mmamster said:
I would have preferred to post this in the ausbicycle section but I don't seem to have access....

I am a cyclist from Melbourne, living close to Beach Road, where I usually ride on weekends.

I am heading to Sydney for work for 4 months, and am wondering if there is an equivalent cycling area to Beach rd in Sydney - ie where a lot of cyclists go and the traffic is used to us (no comments about road rage on Beach Rd please).

I will be living in the Sydney CBD and have read that Centennial Park is a good meeting place for club rides but I am looking for some where I can ride solo in relative safety.

Thanks

MMAMSTER

There is no Beach Road equivalent in Sydney. However, Centennial Park is popular for training and as a meeting point for group rides. If you head south, you ride through the Royal National Park, which is a little hilly, but low in traffic when you get there. If you go north, there is the Ku-Ring-Gai NP. Both are a good 25-30 km (at least) from the CBD. Further north again and you have the Old Pacific Highway, which is popular with northern suburbs cyclists, but also with motorcyclists and boy-racers.

At a guess, I'd say the closest area that resembles Beach Road is to head south and travel out to Kurnell. It's pretty flat, marked bike lanes and no traffic lights for quite some time. Consequently, it's popular with the TT/triathlon crowd.

Ritch

mmamster said:
That forum is a portal to the aus.bicycle newsgroup, which you can access via Google groups or with a newsreader program on your computer.

If you want to post from here you have to request USENET access - go to User Control Panel then select "Group Memberships".

Can't really add to Ritcho's advice - I'm no longer a Sydney resident. If you're near the CBD, Centennial Park's worth a try.

Cheers,
John.

kisoau said:
That forum is a portal to the aus.bicycle newsgroup, which you can access via Google groups or with a newsreader program on your computer.

If you want to post from here you have to request USENET access - go to User Control Panel then select "Group Memberships".

Can't really add to Ritcho's advice - I'm no longer a Sydney resident. If you're near the CBD, Centennial Park's worth a try.

Cheers,
John.
You could always try a few of the motorways.

Southern X Drive is probably the closest to the CBD. Or west to the M4 Via the City West link. M2.

Oh and of course there is the Grand Pde at Brighton on the way to the Kernell peninsula.

As per Scotty72, the Grand Parade at Brighton has a long shared pedestrian/cyclist path which parrallels the water.
If you want to ride solo but where there are plenty of cyclists you could try any of the cycling paths around Olympic Park at Homebush. There's plenty of shared paths and also bicycle lanes to keep you happy. Visit the following link for the routes available -

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/

You can pick up a copy of the maps for Olympic Park at any Rebel Sports store. They come as a handy wallet sized foldout map.

1id10t said:
As per Scotty72, the Grand Parade at Brighton has a long shared pedestrian/cyclist path which parrallels the water.
If you want to ride solo but where there are plenty of cyclists you could try any of the cycling paths around Olympic Park at Homebush. There's plenty of shared paths and also bicycle lanes to keep you happy. Visit the following link for the routes available -

http://www.sydneyolympicpark.com.au/

You can pick up a copy of the maps for Olympic Park at any Rebel Sports store. They come as a handy wallet sized foldout map.

Thanks all. I have also found a ride from clarence street cyclery at 7:45 am on saturdays I'll check out.

mmamster said:
Thanks all. I have also found a ride from clarence street cyclery at 7:45 am on saturdays I'll check out.
I ride sometimes with the Stanmore Cycles group which heads off at 6am Saturdays for a 70km ride finishing at Ba baba, Leichardt. Ashfield Cyles has a ride out to the Eastern Suburbs for some hills. There is also a couple of rides from Renegade cycles at Lane Cove of varying distances.
Avoid Sydney Cycling Club who dislike anyone daring to be on the same stretch of road as them.
On Sunday we tend to head up to Monavale/Church Point via Wakehurst Parkway and back along Pittwater Rd for a 100km ride.

Cheers

Geoff