Cycling rugby enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by The Big Baguett, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. For reasons we needn't go into, I have two (I could, possibly, even make it three) spare tickets for
    Saturday's get-together between England and Wales in Cardiff. Kick-off isn't till 5.30 and trains
    aren't running from east of Newport. If anyone on this newsgroup wants them, email me -
    - first to ask is likely to be successful. List price of the tickets is £38, and that's what they're
    on offer for.

    There may be a test question, however, because there are a couple of conditions. The first is that
    you have actually played the noble game, even if a long time ago. The second is that you have at
    least a rudimentary understanding of the laws and how the game is played. A year or so ago, at an
    international, the chap beside me (he didn't get his ticket from me) gazed at the way the receiving
    side were lining up just before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?'
    It went on all match, and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.

    --
    The Big Baguette

    Tags:

  2. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?' It went on all match,
    > and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.

    Heh, I've attended a number of Rugby games in a corporate manner recently and have nearly started
    rucks in the stand after about the 15th question from certain people that consistently come to games
    but never seem to bother working out the rules.

    On a more On Topic note, as a "Cycling rugby enthusiast", All cyclists. PLEASE look after your head.
    Whether it's a helmet, or not falling off in the first place. I suffered a concussion playing on
    Saturday and have to say yesterday was one of the least pleasant days in memory.

    Enjoy the walkover (err, game)

  3. >The first is that you have actually played the noble game, even if a long time ago. The second is
    >that you have at least a rudimentary understanding of the laws and how the game is played.

    Yup that would be me :)

    Many years ago, the rugby club "the crowd" I hung out with arranged a charity match of the boys
    against the girls.

    So we girls got organised - we arranged Sunday morning training sessions at the local pitch - our
    coach had played for Gosforth - and of course, we had training videos of international matches to
    watch in the bar. ;-) Great fun was had by all and we even swapped shirts at the end of the match :)

    And yes, I have seen the All-Blacks play - at Gateshead many years ago. A very large Maori gentleman
    picked me up and carried me several hundred yards down the main street. I haven't worked out why
    (or, indeed, how) but it was all very friendly.

    Sadly, on Saturday, and I'm sure you wouldn't want a chronically coughing fat old bird spoiling the
    enjoyment of the match and Vernon isn't a rugby buff to take a ticket from you :( Whoever gets those
    tickets - enjoy!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Johnny Klunk <[email protected]> writes
    >> before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?' It went on all match,
    >> and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.
    >
    >Heh, I've attended a number of Rugby games in a corporate manner recently and have nearly started
    >rucks in the stand after about the 15th question from certain people that consistently come to
    >games but never seem to bother working out the rules.
    >
    >On a more On Topic note, as a "Cycling rugby enthusiast", All cyclists. PLEASE look after your
    >head. Whether it's a helmet, or not falling off in the first place. I suffered a concussion playing
    >on Saturday and have to say yesterday was one of the least pleasant days in memory.
    >
    >Enjoy the walkover (err, game)

    Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really.
    STOP LAUGHING.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  5. The tickets are now gone.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  6. Johnny Klunk

    Johnny Klunk Guest

    > Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
    > LAUGHING.

    It's a shame that really. I really do support Welsh rugby. Rugby matters to the Welsh, so I think
    its only a matter of time until they come back to force. In England rugby seems to be played only be
    the upper classes, while the lower classes mindlessly refer to them as closet homosexuals. Except,
    of course, when they beat Australia in which case the whole country suddently takes ownership the
    team. Never heard of 500 police being called to settle rugby hooligans.....

  7. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    > List price of the tickets is ?38, and that's what they're on offer for.
    What? As in you'll pay someone 38 quid to watch Wales get flattened by England? :) Don't get me
    wrong, I spent 8 years living in Wales and I like rugby[1], and would dearly love to see the
    oft-touted renaissance in Welsh rugby, but the Italy match wasn't a game, it was a farce.

    Simon

    [1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to be
    two men short ;-)

    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
    that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

  8. Call Me Bob

    Call Me Bob Guest

    On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:01:16 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
    >LAUGHING.

    There was a day when the entire world looked on Welsh rugby in awe and wonder - our time will
    come again....

    Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?

    Bob

  9. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

    [snip]
    > Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?
    Ah. The old "don't mention the War" schtick :)

    Simon (what was the score again?)
    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
    that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."
    - "60 Miles an Hour", New Order

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Johnny Klunk <[email protected]> writes

    >> Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
    >> LAUGHING.
    >
    >It's a shame that really. I really do support Welsh rugby.

    Me too. I like an England win, but not a rout

    > Rugby matters to the Welsh, so I think its only a matter of time until they come back to force.
    > In England rugby seems to be played only be the upper classes,

    Not where I come from

    >while the lower classes mindlessly refer to them as closet homosexuals. Except, of course, when
    >they beat Australia in which case the whole country suddently takes ownership the team. Never heard
    >of 500 police being called to settle rugby hooligans.....

    --
    The Big Baguette

  11. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Ward
    <[email protected]> writes
    >The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> List price of the tickets is ?38, and that's what they're on offer for.
    > What? As in you'll pay someone 38 quid to watch Wales get flattened by England? :)

    I supported England through the bad years -- I have no problem doing it now.

    > Don't get me wrong, I spent 8 years living in Wales and I like rugby[1], and would dearly love to
    > see the oft-touted renaissance in Welsh rugby, but the Italy match wasn't a game, it was a farce.
    >
    >Simon
    >
    >[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to be
    > two men short ;-)

    Poofters, the lot of them.
    --
    The Big Baguette

  12. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [snip]
    > > Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?
    > Ah. The old "don't mention the War" schtick :)
    >
    > Simon (what was the score again?)

    lost count at 1/2 time! :-(

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  13. In article <[email protected]>, James Hodson
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On 18 Feb 2003 09:39:13 GMT, Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to
    >> be two men short ;-)
    >
    >Not many flankers oop North. Anyway, I was a bit of a "pretty boy" myself: Stand-off / Centre

    Yer big Jessy

    --
    The Big Baguette

  14. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On 18 Feb 2003 09:39:13 GMT, Simon Ward <[email protected]water.uklinux.net> wrote:

    >[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to be
    > two men short ;-)

    Not many flankers oop North. Anyway, I was a bit of a "pretty boy" myself: Stand-off / Centre
    (proper rugby ie union). On a rugby tour to Italy I played right wing (appropriately) a couple of
    times. I wonder, do they still play rubgy in Italy?

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  15. Marc

    Marc Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I wonder, do they still play rubgy in Italy?

    Sod OFF! :-(

  16. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:05:38 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

    >Sod OFF! :-(

    That's the reply I was waiting for. :)

    In truth, Marc, I would like all six nations to play at a similar level to make for a close
    competition.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  17. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:05:11 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Not many flankers oop North. Anyway, I was a bit of a "pretty boy" myself: Stand-off / Centre
    >
    >Yer big Jessy

    Oohhhh! Hark at you. Slappa my wrist, darling.

    I emgrated to walmer (Hah!) climes from Lancashire and have seen the light.

    James

    --
    A credit limit is NOT a target.

  18. Marc

    Marc Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Sod OFF! :-(
    >
    > That's the reply I was waiting for. :)
    >
    > In truth, Marc, I would like all six nations to play at a similar level to make for a close
    > competition.

    Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.

  19. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:41:29 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

    >Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.

    Quite similar to the Aussie 11+ against the English 22+++ at footie.

    James

    --
    A speed limit is NOT a target.

  20. Marc

    Marc Guest

    James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    > >Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.
    > >

    > Quite similar to the Aussie 11+ against the English 22+++ at footie.

    No idea, football is game invented, played, and watched by those too stupid to understand the rules
    of any other.