Cycling rugby enthusiasts?

The Big Baguett

Guest
For reasons we needn't go into, I have two (I could, possibly, even make it three) spare tickets for
Saturday's get-together between England and Wales in Cardiff. Kick-off isn't till 5.30 and trains
aren't running from east of Newport. If anyone on this newsgroup wants them, email me -
- first to ask is likely to be successful. List price of the tickets is £38, and that's what they're
on offer for.

There may be a test question, however, because there are a couple of conditions. The first is that
you have actually played the noble game, even if a long time ago. The second is that you have at
least a rudimentary understanding of the laws and how the game is played. A year or so ago, at an
international, the chap beside me (he didn't get his ticket from me) gazed at the way the receiving
side were lining up just before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?'
It went on all match, and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.

--
The Big Baguette

> before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?' It went on all match,
> and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.

Heh, I've attended a number of Rugby games in a corporate manner recently and have nearly started
rucks in the stand after about the 15th question from certain people that consistently come to games
but never seem to bother working out the rules.

On a more On Topic note, as a "Cycling rugby enthusiast", All cyclists. PLEASE look after your head.
Whether it's a helmet, or not falling off in the first place. I suffered a concussion playing on
Saturday and have to say yesterday was one of the least pleasant days in memory.

Enjoy the walkover (err, game)

>The first is that you have actually played the noble game, even if a long time ago. The second is
>that you have at least a rudimentary understanding of the laws and how the game is played.

Yup that would be me :)

Many years ago, the rugby club "the crowd" I hung out with arranged a charity match of the boys
against the girls.

So we girls got organised - we arranged Sunday morning training sessions at the local pitch - our
coach had played for Gosforth - and of course, we had training videos of international matches to
watch in the bar. ;-) Great fun was had by all and we even swapped shirts at the end of the match :)

And yes, I have seen the All-Blacks play - at Gateshead many years ago. A very large Maori gentleman
picked me up and carried me several hundred yards down the main street. I haven't worked out why
(or, indeed, how) but it was all very friendly.

Sadly, on Saturday, and I'm sure you wouldn't want a chronically coughing fat old bird spoiling the
enjoyment of the match and Vernon isn't a rugby buff to take a ticket from you :( Whoever gets those
tickets - enjoy!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, Johnny Klunk <[email protected]> writes
>> before kick-off and said, 'Why are they standing where they're standing?' It went on all match,
>> and I can't take another 80 minutes like that.
>
>Heh, I've attended a number of Rugby games in a corporate manner recently and have nearly started
>rucks in the stand after about the 15th question from certain people that consistently come to
>games but never seem to bother working out the rules.
>
>On a more On Topic note, as a "Cycling rugby enthusiast", All cyclists. PLEASE look after your
>head. Whether it's a helmet, or not falling off in the first place. I suffered a concussion playing
>on Saturday and have to say yesterday was one of the least pleasant days in memory.
>
>Enjoy the walkover (err, game)

Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really.
STOP LAUGHING.
--
The Big Baguette

> Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
> LAUGHING.

It's a shame that really. I really do support Welsh rugby. Rugby matters to the Welsh, so I think
its only a matter of time until they come back to force. In England rugby seems to be played only be
the upper classes, while the lower classes mindlessly refer to them as closet homosexuals. Except,
of course, when they beat Australia in which case the whole country suddently takes ownership the
team. Never heard of 500 police being called to settle rugby hooligans.....

The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
> List price of the tickets is ?38, and that's what they're on offer for.
What? As in you'll pay someone 38 quid to watch Wales get flattened by England? :) Don't get me
wrong, I spent 8 years living in Wales and I like rugby[1], and would dearly love to see the
oft-touted renaissance in Welsh rugby, but the Italy match wasn't a game, it was a farce.

Simon

[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to be
two men short ;-)

--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:01:16 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

>Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
>LAUGHING.

There was a day when the entire world looked on Welsh rugby in awe and wonder - our time will
come again....

Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?

Bob

Call me Bob <[email protected]> wrote:

[snip]
> Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?
Ah. The old "don't mention the War" schtick :)

Simon (what was the score again?)
--
Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "You'd never guess the things
that I do, I've had the Devil round for tea ..."
- "60 Miles an Hour", New Order

In article <[email protected]>, Johnny Klunk <[email protected]> writes

>> Walkover? Listen, Wales are a serious force in world rugby. Look, it's true. No, really. STOP
>> LAUGHING.
>
>It's a shame that really. I really do support Welsh rugby.

Me too. I like an England win, but not a rout

> Rugby matters to the Welsh, so I think its only a matter of time until they come back to force.
> In England rugby seems to be played only be the upper classes,

Not where I come from

>while the lower classes mindlessly refer to them as closet homosexuals. Except, of course, when
>they beat Australia in which case the whole country suddently takes ownership the team. Never heard
>of 500 police being called to settle rugby hooligans.....

--
The Big Baguette

In article <[email protected]>, Simon Ward
<[email protected]> writes
>The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:
>> List price of the tickets is ?38, and that's what they're on offer for.
> What? As in you'll pay someone 38 quid to watch Wales get flattened by England? :)

I supported England through the bad years -- I have no problem doing it now.

> Don't get me wrong, I spent 8 years living in Wales and I like rugby[1], and would dearly love to
> see the oft-touted renaissance in Welsh rugby, but the Italy match wasn't a game, it was a farce.
>
>Simon
>
>[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to be
> two men short ;-)

Poofters, the lot of them.
--
The Big Baguette

Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:

> [snip]
> > Until it does, any of you lot mention the Italians and you'll get a thick ear, right?
> Ah. The old "don't mention the War" schtick :)
>
> Simon (what was the score again?)

lost count at 1/2 time! :-(

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

In article <[email protected]>, James Hodson
<[email protected]> writes
>On 18 Feb 2003 09:39:13 GMT, Simon Ward <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[1] - Proper rugby, that is. Not like the silly game they play up here where the teams appear to
>> be two men short ;-)
>
>Not many flankers oop North. Anyway, I was a bit of a "pretty boy" myself: Stand-off / Centre

Yer big Jessy

--
The Big Baguette

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:05:38 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>Sod OFF! :-(

That's the reply I was waiting for. :)

In truth, Marc, I would like all six nations to play at a similar level to make for a close
competition.

James

--

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:05:11 +0000, The Big Baguette <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Not many flankers oop North. Anyway, I was a bit of a "pretty boy" myself: Stand-off / Centre
>
>Yer big Jessy

Oohhhh! Hark at you. Slappa my wrist, darling.

I emgrated to walmer (Hah!) climes from Lancashire and have seen the light.

James

--

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Sod OFF! :-(
>
> That's the reply I was waiting for. :)
>
> In truth, Marc, I would like all six nations to play at a similar level to make for a close
> competition.

Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:41:29 +0000, [email protected] (Marc) wrote:

>Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.

Quite similar to the Aussie 11+ against the English 22+++ at footie.

James

--
A speed limit is NOT a target.

James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

> >Not a problem, I'll stake the Welsh 15 against the England 7s any day.
> >

> Quite similar to the Aussie 11+ against the English 22+++ at footie.

No idea, football is game invented, played, and watched by those too stupid to understand the rules
of any other.