Cycling safety news report

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jan 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
    er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30

    "BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
    night is being extended in a Suffolk town.

    The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end of
    the month.

    Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
    otherwise they will be given a warning letter."

    Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped by plod.
    Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped too for various traffic offences!

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

    Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Tags:


  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new
    > bike, otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
    >

    Bet its a £79.99 Halfords special. Better take my lights off or I might win it ;-)

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.
     
  3. W K

    W K Guest

    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will
    enter
    > > a draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a warning
    letter."
    > >
    >
    > Bet its a £79.99 Halfords special. Better take my lights off or I might
    win
    > it ;-)

    I thought that. I'd rather win the right to carry on cycling without being stopped.
     
  4. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Plese send directions - I could always do with another bike :)

    Guy -- it will be on the 'bright side' -- I can't see the rossers encouraging dark side activities.

    T
     
  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:22:55 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Guy -- it will be on the 'bright side' -- I can't see the rossers encouraging dark side activities.

    I'm sure I've got a wedgie tucked away somewhere....

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  6. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:4lE*[email protected]...
    > elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > >>Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at
    night
    > >>were stopped by plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped
    too
    > >>for various traffic offences!
    > >Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a crazy
    > >argument.
    >
    > Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
    > be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
    >
    > Still, never let the facts get in the way of a random slur, eh?

    No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is exactly the subject we had a
    'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they are different than yours. You have to agree that
    the 'discussion' was a crazy waste of time? I also never said there should be any 'expense of
    enforcement of motoring offences'. I just agreed with a view I heard on the radio, that cyclists
    should be given a warning, and a requirement to provide proof of lighting (Similar to a 'seven day
    wonder' the police hand out for motoring offences?). The highway code is there to stop people
    injuring themselves and others. To not enforce it is the craziest part.
     
  7. elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
    >>be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
    >No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is exactly the subject we had a
    >'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they are different than yours.

    Yes, but the important difference is that I was able to support mine with facts and yours appeared
    to have been shot into your head by Paul Smith and his uk.cagers.advocacy friends. This will not
    change merely by rehashing matters in a subsequent thread; you will still have been ignorant of
    elementary facts such as the fact that the "road tax" is not hypothecated.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
     
  8. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:1ik*[email protected]...
    > elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
    > >>be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
    > >No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is
    exactly
    > >the subject we had a 'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they
    are
    > >different than yours.
    >
    > Yes, but the important difference is that I was able to support mine with facts and yours appeared
    > to have been shot into your head by Paul Smith
    and
    > his uk.cagers.advocacy friends. This will not change merely by rehashing matters in a subsequent
    > thread; you will still have been ignorant of elementary facts such as the fact that the "road tax"
    > is not hypothecated.

    I learnt some stuff from the 'discussion', and shouldn't have mentioned your name here. I apologise.
    Your argument was full of holes previously, don't get high and mighty. Saying I am ignorant of
    elementary facts may be correct, but is not called for. Also, I made mistakes in the last thread, my
    continuing with it. This time I won't.
     
  9. elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I apologise to everyone for this thread. I should have known better.

    You have now posted your last message in it three times.
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
     
  10. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
    > er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30
    >
    > "BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
    > night is being extended in a Suffolk town.
    >
    > The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end
    > of the month.
    >
    > Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter
    a
    > draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
    >
    > Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at
    night
    > were stopped by plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped
    too for
    > various traffic offences!
    >

    Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a
    crazy argument.

    A while ago I mentioned a bloke in my local pub who wouldn't walk a hundred yards to the shops, but
    drive instead. Late two nights ago, he crashed whilst drunk getting ciggies from a shop 2 miles
    away. Fortunately he didn't kill anyone. Most expensive cigarettes he'll ever have.
     
  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

    > Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped
    > by plod.

    So do I, but OTOH it can't be easy stopping them when you can't even see the stupid bastards... ;-/

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
     
  12. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes

    >"BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
    >night is being extended in a Suffolk town.
    To _encourage_ .....?? Shouldn't that be to _ensure_ or is a different version of the Highway Code
    in circulation in Suffolk (see page 13, para 46)?
    >
    >The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end of
    >the month.
    An extra three weeks, that'll make all the difference then.
    >
    >Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
    >otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
    Pathetic plods. It's about time motorists, cyclists and pedestrians were stopped and penalised, not
    given a chance to win prizes for obeying traffic regulations.

    (In a stroppy mood 'cos my bum is sore after starting to break in a new saddle...)
    --
    DP
     
  13. Marc

    Marc Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will

    .... be writing and complaining to the Chief Constable about the police abusing their powers?

    --
    Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
    associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/
     
  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 20 Jan 2003 12:49:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

    >Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
    >otherwise they will be given a warning letter."

    Plese send directions - I could always do with another bike :)

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  15. David Pipes

    David Pipes Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
    <guy.chapma[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:09:48 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>(In a stroppy mood 'cos my bum is sore after starting to break in a new saddle...)
    >
    >Not.... a Brooks?
    Got it in one...
    --
    DP
     
  16. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On 20 Jan 2003 12:49:50 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
    (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote this:-

    >See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
    >er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30

    >Officers will stop cyclists at night.

    On what grounds?

    >If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a
    >warning letter."

    What if they don't want to take part in the stupid "draw" but just want to get home without some
    police officer stopping them for no reason? Another brainless police idea.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
    keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.
     
  17. elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped by
    >>plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped too for various traffic offences!
    >Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a crazy
    >argument.

    Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should be
    at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.

    Still, never let the facts get in the way of a random slur, eh?
    --
    David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?
     
  18. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:09:48 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(In a stroppy mood 'cos my bum is sore after starting to break in a new saddle...)

    Not.... a Brooks?

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    work. Apologies.
     
  19. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:58:49 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Plese send directions - I could always do with another bike :)

    Anglia Rail will happily and cheaply transport you to Woodbridge [1]. I haven't tried their cycle
    storage with a 'bent yet, but a SWB should fit, 'cos mine is the same o/all length as the AM7 which
    easily fits [2].

    [1] Don't be tempted to get off the train in Ipswich and ride the rest of the way, it's not
    worth it! [3]

    [2] OTOH, when Railtrack delay every operator, Anglia will lay on a taxi to get you home, provided
    the bike fits into a taxi boot -- which Dr Moulton's creations will ;-)

    [3] You could try train to Felixstowe, ferry (rowing boat) to north shore of R. Deben, ride to
    Sutton Hoo, ride to Woodbridge, train back to Ipswich & points beyond.

    Mike
     
  20. Peter Fox

    Peter Fox Guest

    >[1] Don't be tempted to get off the train in Ipswich and ride the rest of the way, it's not worth
    > it! [3]
    If you go via the Moon and Mushroom at Swilland it is!

    --
    PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded 2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
    [email protected] Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...