Cycling safety news report

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wafflycathcsdir

See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30

"BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
night is being extended in a Suffolk town.

The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end of
the month.

Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
otherwise they will be given a warning letter."

Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped by plod.
Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped too for various traffic offences!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new
> bike, otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
>

Bet its a £79.99 Halfords special. Better take my lights off or I might win it ;-)

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will
enter
> > a draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a warning
letter."
> >
>
> Bet its a £79.99 Halfords special. Better take my lights off or I might
win
> it ;-)

I thought that. I'd rather win the right to carry on cycling without being stopped.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 18:22:55 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Guy -- it will be on the 'bright side' -- I can't see the rossers encouraging dark side activities.

I'm sure I've got a wedgie tucked away somewhere....

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:4lE*[email protected]...
> elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >>Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at
night
> >>were stopped by plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped
too
> >>for various traffic offences!
> >Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a crazy
> >argument.
>
> Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
> be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
>
> Still, never let the facts get in the way of a random slur, eh?

No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is exactly the subject we had a
'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they are different than yours. You have to agree that
the 'discussion' was a crazy waste of time? I also never said there should be any 'expense of
enforcement of motoring offences'. I just agreed with a view I heard on the radio, that cyclists
should be given a warning, and a requirement to provide proof of lighting (Similar to a 'seven day
wonder' the police hand out for motoring offences?). The highway code is there to stop people
injuring themselves and others. To not enforce it is the craziest part.

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
>>be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
>No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is exactly the subject we had a
>'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they are different than yours.

Yes, but the important difference is that I was able to support mine with facts and yours appeared
to have been shot into your head by Paul Smith and his uk.cagers.advocacy friends. This will not
change merely by rehashing matters in a subsequent thread; you will still have been ignorant of
elementary facts such as the fact that the "road tax" is not hypothecated.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ik*[email protected]...
> elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
> >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should
> >>be at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.
> >No slur David, facts based on recent, personal experience. This is
exactly
> >the subject we had a 'discussion' on before. You know my views, and they
are
> >different than yours.
>
> Yes, but the important difference is that I was able to support mine with facts and yours appeared
> to have been shot into your head by Paul Smith
and
> his uk.cagers.advocacy friends. This will not change merely by rehashing matters in a subsequent
> thread; you will still have been ignorant of elementary facts such as the fact that the "road tax"
> is not hypothecated.

I learnt some stuff from the 'discussion', and shouldn't have mentioned your name here. I apologise.
Your argument was full of holes previously, don't get high and mighty. Saying I am ignorant of
elementary facts may be correct, but is not called for. Also, I made mistakes in the last thread, my
continuing with it. This time I won't.

"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
> er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30
>
> "BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
> night is being extended in a Suffolk town.
>
> The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end
> of the month.
>
> Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter
a
> draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
>
> Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at
night
> were stopped by plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped
too for
> various traffic offences!
>

Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a
crazy argument.

A while ago I mentioned a bloke in my local pub who wouldn't walk a hundred yards to the shops, but
drive instead. Late two nights ago, he crashed whilst drunk getting ciggies from a shop 2 miles
away. Fortunately he didn't kill anyone. Most expensive cigarettes he'll ever have.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped
> by plod.

So do I, but OTOH it can't be easy stopping them when you can't even see the stupid bastards... ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In message <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> writes

>"BIKE SAFETY CAMPAIGN EXTENDED A campaign to encourage cyclists to have lights on their bikes at
>night is being extended in a Suffolk town.
To _encourage_ .....?? Shouldn't that be to _ensure_ or is a different version of the Highway Code
in circulation in Suffolk (see page 13, para 46)?
>
>The seasonal drive in Woodbridge was due to run until January 10 but will continue until the end of
>the month.
An extra three weeks, that'll make all the difference then.
>
>Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
>otherwise they will be given a warning letter."
Pathetic plods. It's about time motorists, cyclists and pedestrians were stopped and penalised, not
given a chance to win prizes for obeying traffic regulations.

(In a stroppy mood 'cos my bum is sore after starting to break in a new saddle...)
--
DP

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will

.... be writing and complaining to the Chief Constable about the police abusing their powers?

--
Marc T Shirts, Sweatshirts, polo shirts, banners, signs,decals, stickers etc for clubs and
associations of all types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

On 20 Jan 2003 12:49:50 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Officers will stop cyclists at night. If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike,
>otherwise they will be given a warning letter."

Plese send directions - I could always do with another bike :)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

On 20 Jan 2003 12:49:50 GMT someone who may be [email protected]
(wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote this:-

>See http://www.teletext.co.uk/news/story.asp?intArticleID=40943&intarticlenumb
>er=10&intRegionID=1&intSubsectionID=1&From=I&indent=30

>Officers will stop cyclists at night.

On what grounds?

>If they have lights they will enter a draw to win a new bike, otherwise they will be given a
>warning letter."

What if they don't want to take part in the stupid "draw" but just want to get home without some
police officer stopping them for no reason? Another brainless police idea.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E I will always explain revoked
keys, unless the UK government prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

elyob <[email protected]> wrote:
>"wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>Personally speaking as a cyclist I wish more cyclists without lights at night were stopped by
>>plod. Mind you, I also wish more motorists were stopped too for various traffic offences!
>Me too, but watch out for David Damerell, he won't agree. And you'll probably end up in a crazy
>argument.

Unlikely, since Helen S is not a crazy person. Unlike you she is not suggesting that this should be
at the expense of enforcement of motoring offences.

Still, never let the facts get in the way of a random slur, eh?
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:09:48 +0000, David Pipes <[email protected]> wrote:

>(In a stroppy mood 'cos my bum is sore after starting to break in a new saddle...)

Not.... a Brooks?

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:58:49 +0000, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Plese send directions - I could always do with another bike :)

Anglia Rail will happily and cheaply transport you to Woodbridge [1]. I haven't tried their cycle
storage with a 'bent yet, but a SWB should fit, 'cos mine is the same o/all length as the AM7 which
easily fits [2].

[1] Don't be tempted to get off the train in Ipswich and ride the rest of the way, it's not
worth it! [3]

[2] OTOH, when Railtrack delay every operator, Anglia will lay on a taxi to get you home, provided
the bike fits into a taxi boot -- which Dr Moulton's creations will ;-)

[3] You could try train to Felixstowe, ferry (rowing boat) to north shore of R. Deben, ride to
Sutton Hoo, ride to Woodbridge, train back to Ipswich & points beyond.

Mike

>[1] Don't be tempted to get off the train in Ipswich and ride the rest of the way, it's not worth
> it! [3]
If you go via the Moon and Mushroom at Swilland it is!

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded 2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
[email protected] Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.