Cycling Shirt Pockets

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mak'em Lad, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Mak'em Lad

Mak'em Lad New Member

I've just purchased a cycling shirt & noticed that they have 3 pockets on the back. The centre one has a zip.

Do you use the pockets in your cycling shirt & if so what do you put in them?

I was originally going to use a 'bum bag' but wonder if the shirt pockets would be better.

Tags:

2. jwinter

jwinter New Member

All top jerseys will have the pockets. They are essential for carrying ; sport beans, gels, energy bars and the like..I will sometimes keep a tube of lip balm in a back pouch for easy access...avoid the faux pax of the "bum bag" "fanny pack"..

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Faux pas my a$$. The faux pas is riding with riders who think that way.

To the OP: I put anything any manner of things in jersey pockets: food, third water bottle, phone, keys, cleat covers, dosh, repair kit, arm warmers, leg warmers, windbreaker,.....etc. Right now, I don't have a seat bag that works with my current saddle and seat mast, but if I did, I'd user the seatbag and still likely have things in my jersey pockets (cell phone, food, water bottle, and the like). Jersey pockets are nice in that you can reach into them while riding.

4. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

I use my jersey pockets for anything that I need to reach while I ride; like food, paper towels, taser, etc.

The other stuff I carry on a ride can go in the wedge bag under the seat.

5. jump_at_the_sun

jump_at_the_sun New Member

As stated, it's mostly whatever you want. Zipped pockets for keys and the like and side pockets for stuff you want to access while riding.

6. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Depends on the ride. Fom my commutes I mostly use a bum bag. I sweat a lot, and anything stuck in the back pockets will be thorougly soaked after a ride. That's a stupid thing to deliberately do to your cell phone and wallet.
    But apart from that I use the back pockets for whatever I want to carry that will fit and can take the environment. One of my jerseys have pockets deep enough to hold a small hydration bladder, which works out well.

7. Deafwolf

Deafwolf New Member

I carry Keys, Gels, Kleenex, and sometimes my phone. I have also carried my iPod on occasion. Get a bag to hook-up under your saddle. I keep a spare tire, a tire lever, and a CO2 inflation device in case I get a flat.

8. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

I don't really use the jersey pockets. I normally just stuff everything into a hydration pack, whether I'm MTBing or road biking. I find that by carrying a hydration pack, I drink more water.

There's not enough room in those jersey pockets for an air pump, Clif Bars, cellphone, inner-tube, tire levers, all-in-one tool, tire patch kit, etc. Besides, if I fall, the last thing I want jamming into my back is an air pump...

9. baker3

baker3 New Member

Jersey pockets are good for holding things like, your identification, some money, a mini pump or CO2 cartridges and also any food you might consume on the ride.

10. Mojo Johnson

Mojo Johnson New Member

I keep mine stocked with gels on either side and a spare tube in the middle.

11. gman0482

gman0482 Member

Same as all above. Cell,keys, blocks, hammer gel, etc. I try to get jerseys with the middle zip, plus I get that zip pocket with a waterproof lining, so I stick my phone/car remote inside and it doesn't get sweat on them.

Happened many times when I took my cell out and it was soaked. No bueno. Plus that little zip pocket has a regular pocket behind it.

Speaking of pockets, anyone with bib short pockets ? I don't own any, but was wondering if it's worth it.

12. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Same as everybody else. I usually put my phone in a ziplock bag with an emergency 10$ bill. For longer rides I'm planning on getting one of those mesh vests that have extra mesh pockets. Saw someone using it last week. Thought it'd come in handy for extra bottle, cleat covers etc...

My pockets are never empty

13. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

My Giordana bibs have a pocket between the straps on the back for a phone/radio/mp3 player, but I don't use it.

14. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

Hey, that's neat. Never seen one of those.

15. cutegirl

cutegirl New Member

I use my jersey pockets for anything that I need to reach while I ride; like food, paper towels, taser, etc.

16. Mak'em Lad

Mak'em Lad New Member

Thanks for all the comments. I originally though they were of little use (sweat problem plus when full would make you look like a 'humpy backed camel').

I can now see why they would be of use for those cycling long distances (just starting out so long to me would be 'just going round the block' for most of you :eek:).

I do have a wedge bag under the saddle with tools & spare tube etc. It was keys, phone etc. I was thinking about putting in the bum bag. Had never heard of power bean, hammer ger etc. but as I have mentioned I don't go far (6-7 miles at the moment). Need to build milage up slowley due to breathing problem & being overweight (and old :().

17. bikekittymeow

bikekittymeow New Member

When I ride my bike i put my kitties in the back pockets .

18. StephanieIngram

StephanieIngram New Member

[SIZE=7.0pt]I use my T-shirts pockets [/SIZE]

19. StephanieIngram

StephanieIngram New Member

Hey man Jersey pockets are good for holding all the things.

20. mpre53

mpre53 Well-Known Member

Until you fall and land on your back. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Hard/sharp stuff goes in my seat wedge.