Cycling Shoe Recommendations

mossman

Apr 6, 2015
I'm in the market for some cycling shoes to be used while riding my hybrid. I ride mainly on paved surfaces and ride casually a few times a week for exercise. I like the idea of getting a mountain bike shoe because of the tread. I unknowingly bought a pair of Louis Garneau road cycling shoes online not realizing that they needed to be used with a special cleat and pedal. I returned them and am now looking at mountain bike shoes, but a lot of them also have attachments for cleats. I want to be sure that the cleats are optional on MTB shoes. I'd also like a few recommendations on a decent sub-$100 MTB shoe. I like the idea of velcro straps so I don't have to worry about laces. A couple shoes I've been considering are the Louis Garneau Monte, Loius Garneau Montana XT-3, Louis Garneau Terra, and the Shimano SH-M162. All of these shoes say they are cleat "compatible" which I take to mean that cleats are optional.

At the low ($90-110) end of the price range, nearly every brand has shoes that optionally take cleats. These shoes have an insert over the cleat mounting holes that is removed either using a utility knife or undoing a pair of screws. Look for shoes by Shimano, Scott, Specialized, Pearl Izumi, Bontrager, and others.

You don't really need a dedicated shoe for bike riding. A typical skateboarding shoe will do you just fine and many of these can be found at a really great price.
However if you really want a MTB shoe, I hands down recommend FiveTen. If you look on the feet of the big names in MTB, chances are they got a pair of FiveTens on.

So am I correct in my assumption that the cleats are optional on the MTB shoes? And are there any opinions on the shoes I mentioned? Skateboard shoes are too bulky IMO and don't have stiff soles like you would want for biking.

Good skate shoes are wider and bulkier, but are very stiff. You would be hard pressed to find a shoe that has a harder sole than a skate shoe (well maybe a high end dress shoe, but I don't recommend riding in those.)
Anyways I don't ride clipless so I have no first hand knowledge or opinions on those shoes you mentioned above. I would suggest that if you don't even plan to ride clipless then don't bother getting a shoe that's compatible. You don't want shoes engineered with features you will never use. Don't bother getting a shoe that can ride both clipless or flats since they will not do either very well. Have you checked out your LBS? Perhaps actually seeing the shoe in person will help you get a better idea of what you need.

mossman said:
So am I correct in my assumption that the cleats are optional on the MTB shoes? And are there any opinions on the shoes I mentioned? Skateboard shoes are too bulky IMO and don't have stiff soles like you would want for biking.
Partially correct. This is only for low-end MTB shoes that have removable rubber inserts where the cleats would go. Higher performance shoes have a more aggressive walking tread and no removable insert. You don't want to use these on a flat pedal.

I have never been keen on choosing the type of shoes that I can put on while cycling. I do have rubber shoes for the purpose since they are light. I prefer leather shoes on cold and rain seasons. Otherwise I tend to wear any type of shoes.

I don't think there is any specific shoe that would work best for cycling. I wear just normal running shoes when I ride and it works for me. I think as long as you are comfortable than that's all that matters.

I guess you can go with the cheapest that suits you. I don't think brands matter much at all, it's more paying for the mark rather than material.

This thread made me realize that I am not a real cyclist. I had been biking for many years and it's only now that I get to notice cycling shoes. My cycling shoes are my sneakers. Woud you believe? I had been traveling miles and miles with those sneakers of mine. Especially now that I only do my biking inside the village, my cycling shorts and sneakers would do the job.

I currently wear my Brooks running shoes, and they've been fine, but I'm quickly realizing that I could really benefit from power on my upstroke, which requires clipless shoes. I understand the shoe part of it, but do most clipless pedals (or whatever you call them) compatible with most shoes? Can someone recommend some pedals?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 9