Cycling shoe sizes?

tidefan1956

Nov 7, 2003
I have a question for the masses of cyclist out there. I'm a newbie bike rider, and from reading this forum, clipless pedals are the way to go. I'm about to purchase a Trek 7500FX, and want to go to clipless pedals. The shoe sizes are what has me buffaloed. I know I need to try on a shoe 1st, but the cycling catalogs(Nasbar, Performance, Pricepoint) have great deals. None of the LBS have a good selection of shoes for me to guage sizes. I normally wear a 11.5-12 in a running shoe, so what size do I need in a cycling shoe? Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by tidefan1956
I have a question for the masses of cyclist out there. I'm a newbie bike rider, and from reading this forum, clipless pedals are the way to go. I'm about to purchase a Trek 7500FX, and want to go to clipless pedals. The shoe sizes are what has me buffaloed. I know I need to try on a shoe 1st, but the cycling catalogs(Nasbar, Performance, Pricepoint) have great deals. None of the LBS have a good selection of shoes for me to guage sizes. I normally wear a 11.5-12 in a running shoe, so what size do I need in a cycling shoe? Thanks for any help.

That would equal approx. a 45 ~ 46 in a European size...

Originally posted by Cipher
That would equal approx. a 45 ~ 46 in a European size...
And since there is no standardization,one had best try specific brands to find the best fit. Even within the same 'size' some are big,some small, not to mention width variations. Some brands will even vary amongst the same size depending on where they are made.

Originally posted by boudreaux
And since there is no standardization,one had best try specific brands to find the best fit. Even within the same 'size' some are big,some small, not to mention width variations. Some brands will even vary amongst the same size depending on where they are made.
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'd better buy the shoes from a LBS, instead form an online catalog, or else I might be sending them back.

Originally posted by tidefan1956
Thanks for the reply. Guess I'd better buy the shoes from a LBS, instead form an online catalog, or else I might be sending them back.
Sometimes you get lucky. Performance and Nashbar are pretty good about returns but shipping can get expensive it you have to do it too many times.

Check the tongue of your normal shoes. They usually have the different size listed. Like mine say US 9.5, UK 8.5, EUR 43, etc.
That will give you someplace to start. I feel bad about doing it, but when I can save $50 plus I just have to. Go to the LBS try on all the different brands they offer and make note of which size of each brand fits. Then order online. It does stink, but they usually cannot touch the prices online even when you ask. I even had a shop to tell me they were on sale at an online company and I should get them there. Of course I had just bought a bike there, so I didn't feel bad that time!

Originally posted by ccorrick
Check the tongue of your normal shoes. They usually have the different size listed. Like mine say US 9.5, UK 8.5, EUR 43, etc.
That will give you someplace to start. I feel bad about doing it, but when I can save $50 plus I just have to. Go to the LBS try on all the different brands they offer and make note of which size of each brand fits. Then order online. It does stink, but they usually cannot touch the prices online even when you ask. I even had a shop to tell me they were on sale at an online company and I should get them there. Of course I had just bought a bike there, so I didn't feel bad that time!

This is what I went into my LBS intending to do. They had Genius 4s there and I wanted to find my size so I could order online since it would be about $90 cheaper. While talking w/the bike guy he said they weren't going to carry them anymore because they have to import them and they don't make much money off them and they don't sell that many. So I casually told him that I found them online for $105 and he said that he'd match that price.

So you may want to just shoot the price you found an item for to your LBS and they may want to try and work with you

here's a sizing chart w/ various brands: http://www.excelsports.com/info.asp?page=8

i agree that, with variations in the lasts that shoes are built on, trying them on at an LBS will be the best bet. especially if you have width issues (i'm a EEE wide so shoe shopping is an adventure).