Cycling Shoe Sizing Help

HugeBob

Guest
Hi All,

I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
to a true 12. Your thoughts?

On Mar 1, 6:54 pm, "HugeBob" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
> 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
> through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
> it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
> the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
> to a true 12. Your thoughts?

In my experience there is sometimes huge variation in sizing between
even different models from the same brand let alone different brands.
No way to know without actually trying the probably minor difference .
5 of a size will make.

But that bit about the balls over the pedals I don't get. The cleats
are adjustable just for this reason.

Joseph

On Mar 1, 12:54 pm, "HugeBob" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
> 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
> through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
> it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
> the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
> to a true 12. Your thoughts?

You're going to have to try them on. Not only are there great
variations from one shoe to the next (I have Euro 44's to 46's that
are all the same size), but some cycling shoes are exceptionally
narrow, too narrow even for people normally comfortable in a standard
D width shoe.

Not to mention all the other normal variables that make some shoes fit
us and some not.

There's no relationship between shoe size and cleat position; you
adjust the cleat position when you install them into the shoe, and how
to do that properly is a whole 'nother discussion.

RichC

HugeBob wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
> 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
> through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
> it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
> the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
> to a true 12. Your thoughts?

Buy from a brick and mortar store, so you can try them on.

Bill "simplicity" S.

On Mar 1, 1:19 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mar 1, 6:54 pm, "HugeBob" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
> > 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
> > through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
> > it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
> > the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
> > to a true 12. Your thoughts?

> In my experience there is sometimes huge variation in sizing between
> even different models from the same brand let alone different brands.
> No way to know without actually trying the probably minor difference .
> 5 of a size will make.
>
> But that bit about the balls over the pedals I don't get. The cleats
> are adjustable just for this reason.
>
> Joseph

The cleats are adjustable, yes. But, they should go under the balls of
you feet, no? Trying on the shoe would be the ideal scenario. But,
unfortunately, no one carries this shoe (Sidi Ergo I) locally.

>> > I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
>> > 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
>> > through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
>> > it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
>> > the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
>> > to a true 12. Your thoughts?

>> In my experience there is sometimes huge variation in sizing between
>> even different models from the same brand let alone different brands.
>> No way to know without actually trying the probably minor difference .
>> 5 of a size will make.
>>
>> But that bit about the balls over the pedals I don't get. The cleats
>> are adjustable just for this reason.
>>
>> Joseph

> The cleats are adjustable, yes. But, they should go under the balls of
> you feet, no? Trying on the shoe would be the ideal scenario. But,
> unfortunately, no one carries this shoe (Sidi Ergo I) locally.

Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your local
retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the sizing doesn't work
out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.

Don't worry about where the shoe puts the ball of your foot. For a shoe,
*comfort* is everything. Make sure you have a bit of room at the toes, since
you tend to push forward while riding. And don't care one whit about what
size the shoe thinks it is. You want a shoe that fits. Period. It could say
45, or 47. Doesn't matter.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 19:49:47 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>>> In my experience there is sometimes huge variation in sizing between
>>> even different models from the same brand let alone different brands.
>>> No way to know without actually trying the probably minor difference .
>>> 5 of a size will make.
>>>
>>> But that bit about the balls over the pedals I don't get. The cleats
>>> are adjustable just for this reason.
>>>
>>> Joseph

>> The cleats are adjustable, yes. But, they should go under the balls of
>> you feet, no? Trying on the shoe would be the ideal scenario. But,
>> unfortunately, no one carries this shoe (Sidi Ergo I) locally.

> Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your local
> retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the sizing doesn't
> work out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.

Probably?

> Don't worry about where the shoe puts the ball of your foot. For a shoe,
> *comfort* is everything. Make sure you have a bit of room at the toes,
> since you tend to push forward while riding. And don't care one whit
> about what size the shoe thinks it is. You want a shoe that fits.
> Period. It could say 45, or 47. Doesn't matter.

You can't go wrong paying full price for a pair of Sidis, at a
bike shop where you can try them on. They amortize very well over the
years they will last! Mine are 10 years old, and just starting to
fall apart now. They probably have 50k miles on them plus countless miles
of hike-a-bike through gravel and rocks, walking and standing around on
pavement for hours, etc. (The lugged soles are completely worn down.)
I paid just under $100 for them on sale, but if I had paid today's MSRP
they still would have been worth every penny.

Matt O.

>> Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your local
>> retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the sizing doesn't
>> work out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.

> Probably?

I'm not comfortable suggesting what another shop should, or should not, be
doing. If they're a smaller Sidi dealer, they'll probably be charged 10% for
the return. Most likely not the case if they're a larger dealer.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
:::: Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your
:::: local retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the
:::: sizing doesn't work out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.
:::
::: Probably?
::
:: I'm not comfortable suggesting what another shop should, or should
:: not, be doing. If they're a smaller Sidi dealer, they'll probably be
:: charged 10% for the return. Most likely not the case if they're a
:: larger dealer.

Why not just order from performance and return for exchange if they don't
fit?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:03:34 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>>> Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your local
>>> retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the sizing doesn't
>>> work out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.

>> Probably?

> I'm not comfortable suggesting what another shop should, or should not,
> be doing. If they're a smaller Sidi dealer, they'll probably be charged
> 10% for the return. Most likely not the case if they're a larger dealer.

I'm not criticizing the shop, but Sidi, for charging their dealers for
returns. That stinks. One would hope Sidi's high prices would cover
supporting all their dealers adequately and equally.

Matt O.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:20:04 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

> Why not just order from performance and return for exchange if they
> don't fit?

You still have to pay shipping cost. One return means paying shipping
three times.

However it could still work out to be a better deal with Performance's
lower prices, coupons, free shipping deals, and speed. I bet Performance
would get those shoes to you faster than a local shop could order them.

I like these threads because I feel it's helpful to air these issues. A
lot of LBS owners and staff are bitter about competition from mail order,
but I think they just don't understand where they themselves fail in
offering value, and mail order is doing a better job. No one owes any of
us a living!

Matt O.

On Mar 1, 9:54 am, "HugeBob" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking at a new cycling shoe that comes in Euro sizes 46.5 and
> 47. When I checked the sizing chart, 46 fits American sizes 11
> through 11.5 and 47 fits sizes 12 to 12.5. Now, I take a 12. Since
> it's desired to get the balls of the feet as centered as possible over
> the pedals, I'm thinking I should take the 46.5's which seems closer
> to a true 12. Your thoughts?

Why it's tough to buy shoes MO..try them on and go with the one that
fits your foot, like any shoe, no different.Like frames, a '47' is
different from maker to maker.

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 19:49:47 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>> In my experience there is sometimes huge variation in sizing between
>>> even different models from the same brand let alone different brands.
>>> No way to know without actually trying the probably minor difference .
>>> 5 of a size will make.

Not to disagree with anything Mike wrote, but my size 13 feet take a
Sidi 49. I'm guessing you'll want a 48, if you're a real size 12.

>> Trying on the shoe would be the ideal scenario. But,
>> unfortunately, no one carries this shoe (Sidi Ergo I) locally.

>Sidi sizing is consistent from shoe-to-shoe, so just go to your local
>retailer and have them size & order it for you. If the sizing doesn't work
>out, Sidi will probably let them exchange it.

My LBS lost a sale because they wanted me to pay for the shoes up
front before they ordered it, and weren't planning to take a return.
Took me three pairs of mail order (OK, the last two were ordered at
the same time with the intent to return what didn't fit) to find out I
take a 49. I may have broken even with MO discount and shipping vs.
LBS with tax, but I got what I want, and what fits me.

FWIW, Matt is entirely correct. Sidi makes magnificent shoes, and I
don't regret getting them one bit.

Pat

Email address works as is.

>> Why not just order from performance and return for exchange if they
>> don't fit?

> You still have to pay shipping cost. One return means paying shipping
> three times.
>
> However it could still work out to be a better deal with Performance's
> lower prices, coupons, free shipping deals, and speed. I bet Performance
> would get those shoes to you faster than a local shop could order them.

Not likely. If it's a special order (something they don't have in stock), it
would likely first ship to Performance's main warehouse and then to the
store. The individual stores don't order directly from the wholesalers. A
local shop, on the other hand, can pick up the phone, talk to Maria at Sidi
(Veltec USA actually), and, depending upon their location, have them in as
few as three days, maybe even two.

> I like these threads because I feel it's helpful to air these issues. A
> lot of LBS owners and staff are bitter about competition from mail order,
> but I think they just don't understand where they themselves fail in
> offering value, and mail order is doing a better job. No one owes any of
> us a living!

True enough. On the other hand, it's not the job of the bricks & mortar
retailer to help someone figure out what size shoe they take so they can buy
it elsewhere.

Nor does the mail order outfit feel it's their job to help with local
bicycle events.

For the most part though, LBS folk aren't very annoyed by those issues. What
really bugs the LBS is when special pricing is made available to mail order
outlets that isn't done for the LBS. And it's absolutely, positively
deliberate. The manufacturers and mail order outlets benefit greatly from
selling product to us for more money, creating a higher retail value, and
the differential between perceived retail value and the price paid motivates
sales at the mail-order level.

Give us a level playing field. Mail order will still be more efficient at
some things, but at least the LBS won't look like they're trying to rip
people off.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Patrick Lamb wrote:
:: My LBS lost a sale because they wanted me to pay for the shoes up
:: front before they ordered it, and weren't planning to take a return.
:: Took me three pairs of mail order (OK, the last two were ordered at
:: the same time with the intent to return what didn't fit) to find out
:: I take a 49. I may have broken even with MO discount and shipping
:: vs. LBS with tax, but I got what I want, and what fits me.

I've done it this way with MO too....order two pair and return one...It's
worth it in the end to get a pair of shoes that fit well.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

I'd much rather buy shoes and some other things at my LBS (it hasn't really
worked out for shoes as they don't carry enough stock). I even go in there
to drop a dime or two just because. However, I have caught them with pricing
on some items that was above retail. I was a bit disappointed at that.

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 04:56:35 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>> However it could still work out to be a better deal with Performance's
>> lower prices, coupons, free shipping deals, and speed. I bet Performance
>> would get those shoes to you faster than a local shop could order them.

> Not likely. If it's a special order (something they don't have in stock), it
> would likely first ship to Performance's main warehouse and then to the
> store. The individual stores don't order directly from the wholesalers. A
> local shop, on the other hand, can pick up the phone, talk to Maria at Sidi
> (Veltec USA actually), and, depending upon their location, have them in as
> few as three days, maybe even two.

I get stuff from Performance overnight with regular shipping, "day after
tomorrow" at most. (I'm probably close to their distribution center,
which may actually be that store in Chapel Hill.) Nashbar takes 2-3 days.
It all comes to my door too -- I don't have to try to make it to the bike
shop before closing.

I've never had an LBS get me anything in less than a week, except once.
Maybe they forget to order or forget to call me when it gets in, but the
bottom line is that I still don't get my stuff.

Matt O.