Cycling Shoes For Wide Feet?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by new_rider, Jan 26, 2010.

1. new_rider

new_rider New Member

When I was a "serious" rider, I used to ride in my sidi shoes. The truth of the matter is, they were too narrow.

Now that I am re-entering the wonderful world of cycling, I want 'real' cycling shoes again.

I just bought a pair from one of the major mail order outlets. Guess what: shoe is too narrow. Drats!

I'm looking for some shoes that will accommodate my wider feet. I would really prefer to keep it at $100 or less. Any recs?

Tags:

2. kausbose

kausbose New Member

Wow you rode on Sidi's and you want to get something lesser than $100 now. Good luck finding out that you really like . But having said that I would suggest that you look at Louis Garneau for shoes. They are not recommended pretty often. But I ride them and they are AMAZING. Esp. the more expensive, custom fit ones.
    CFS-150 SHOES (CUSTOM FIT SYSTEM) :: Louis Garneau)
    Good luck

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I would recommend that you go to a store which sells cycling shoes and try some on to find ones that fit your feet instead of ordering through the mail. If your feet are atypical width then shooting in the dark will probably be a frustrating experience.

I like the Specialized BG Pro shoes, but they fit well on my feet and not necessarily yours.

4. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

All Northwave shoes that I've seen are made on a wide last, men's E-EE, in my estimation. Also, Bontrager's standard width is on the wide side of average, somewhere in D-E territory. Both of these brands carry a full range of road and mountain shoes.

5. new_rider

new_rider New Member

Good suggestion. I will do that this weekend.

6. Rockslayer

Rockslayer New Member

Try Sidi Mega sizes the are the wide version.

7. maanderx

maanderx New Member

+1 for the above. Also the Specialized BG range are good too.

8. pcrx

pcrx New Member

The Sidi Mega are pretty wide, but try first for sure. I have found cycling sandals to be the best option for me. I can adjust them for different socks (or no socks!)

:)

9. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that Sidi Megas come with the pretty typical, for Euro shoes, narrow toe box.

I recommend trying before buying a set of bike shoes.

10. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

+1

You'll just waste time and money trying to guess the correct size, go to a bike shop and get a perfect fit.

11. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

I don't know how much wider the SIDI Mega is when compared with the their normal shoe ...

I can tell you that my size 45 SIDI shoes are close to the same as my size 44 SHIMANO shoes, or vice-versa ...

So, you shouldn't expect any continuity in sizing from brand to brand.

12. pwbike

pwbike New Member

I have wide feet (I often have trouble buying normal shoes), I recently bought cycling shoes and they are a good fit for my feet, the ones I got were Louis Garneau Montana XT, these are a mountain bike type shoe that accept SPD cleats. I'm using them with road/touring type SPD pedals on my road bike and have been very pleased with them so far.
    MONTANA XT SHOES :: Louis Garneau

13. randochap

randochap New Member

Yep, go to a store and try on shoes. Not something I would ever buy mail order, unless I had a specific pair already that I wanted to replace.

I don't have any sub $100 recommendations. I find specialized shoes have a wide toe box. Sidi makes the "Mega" versions.

14. xenith

xenith New Member

try a shoe from the Northwave range, these shoes are only good for one thing and that is wide feet

15. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

The purpose of my first post was not enable the OP to mail order another pair of ill-fitting shoes, but to enable him to ask informed questions, such as, "Mr. Bike Shop Sales Associate, I have extraordinarily wide feet. Do you have North Wave, Bontrager, or Sidi Mega cycling shoes that I might try on in consideration of a possible purchase?" Or some such wording.

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

An ex-employee of my LBS used to work at a shop that made shoes and fixed shoes. He was the man, when it came to fitting bike shoes.

17. rkbrown

rkbrown New Member

I have 7 EEEE feet and had a hard time finding shoes. I was at my lbs one day and tried a pair of mountainbike shoes with a Cannondale label (not sure who actually makes them). I wound up with these shoes and like them. They take SPD cleats. However, I went to another lbs and talked with the staff and they had me try on a pair of Northwave road shoes. They were nice & wide. I will seriously look at these next time I'm in the market for shoes. My lbs had the Northwaves for $85.

18. kahlenz

kahlenz New Member

I am also looking for bicycle shoes that will fit my wide feet. I wear an 11.5 EE (Redwing fit - other brands vary). My most comfortable shoes are size 45 Birkenstocks on a regular (D-EE) footbed. I also have a high arch, and require a wide toe box (my toes point up like elf feet). That being said, I know there are millions of others out there like me. My feet aren't that rare.

I am a casual cyclist, so I am unwilling to spend much more than $200. I am currently squeezing my feet into a pair of Lake "Wide" mountain bike shoes (I prefer a SPD clip because I like to be able to walk around without changing shoes). I had to order them from the company as no bike shop carried them and none wanted to take a chance on ordering them. They are tight and uncomfortable. I have tried stretching them, soaking them, etc. but to no avail (well made shoes, though). The Lake people said that was as wide as they go - try custom shoes.

Probably good advice, but quite expensive. I would appreciate any insights here. Please don't tell me to go to my LBS! I already have. They cannot help me. All three of my LBSs, after assuring me they could fit me, threw their hands up in the air. They are understandably reluctant to order any of the wide shoes in the catalogs - their experience and mine are that they are not wide enough for people with wide feet, and too expensive for people with normal feet (two bike shops tried, and the shoes are still sitting there after three years). I have been to dozens of bike shops, including many very big ones, between Chicago and St. Louis. Some of them have an outstanding inventory, but no wide shoes. Same song everywhere I go - they look in the catalog and see that several of the companies offer wide shoes, but they don't want to order them.

As much as I would prefer to try on shoes before I buy and support my LBS, I believe I am in situation where I must find an online source. Any suggestions appreciated!

Kevin

19. doctorold

doctorold Member

You cannot buy wide cycling shoes unless you spend mega-$$$. Since weight was not of issue to me and the fact that I wanted to be able to unclip and walk around, I bought a pair of Keens. SPD but they work for my purpose. Comfortable. If anyone ever makes wide road shoes that don't cost and arm and a leg, please post.

20. kahlenz

kahlenz New Member

I followed up on your suggestion for Northwave shoes. As far as I could tell, Northwave does not make a wide shoe. Some are more adjustable than others, and somebody with wide flat feet might be able to get them to go on, but the footbed would be a compromise.

Cannondale makes a few shoes that are adjustable enough to fit a wide, flat foot (the "Carve" model comes to mind). My LBS recommended them, but I couldn't even begin to get my foot in them.

My foot bed measures 11.5 EE. But I have high arches, which exacerbates the problem.

Kevin