Cycling shoes

tdl123321

Mar 26, 2006
How much benefit is gained from cycling shoes? Is it a noticable difference? Do they take awhile to get used too?

My god, man! It's a completely different world. I assume by saying 'cycling shoes' that you are talking about clipless pedals and cleats?

Now you will be able to pull through the bottom (the ol' mud-shoe scrape) and this will add to your speed significantly.

Yes, you will spend a day or two getting used to them. If you're like me, you'll still be falling over on the bike at stop lights 3 or 4 years later. But maybe you're not like me...

It's a definite 'must-have' for the serious cyclist.

tdl123321 said:
How much benefit is gained from cycling shoes? Is it a noticable difference? Do they take awhile to get used too?
I am just getting back into riding after about a 10 year hiatus. I had a pair of road shoes and they did help a lot. They are tough to walk in, though if you spend mcuh time off your bike. I just bought a pair of mountain bike shoes because of this. So far, they seem to work pretty good for the type of riding I do. I would suggest you talk to folks at a local bike shop and tell them about how you ride. They should be able to give you some great pointers!

rnoggle said:
I am just getting back into riding after about a 10 year hiatus. I had a pair of road shoes and they did help a lot. They are tough to walk in, though if you spend mcuh time off your bike. I just bought a pair of mountain bike shoes because of this. So far, they seem to work pretty good for the type of riding I do. I would suggest you talk to folks at a local bike shop and tell them about how you ride. They should be able to give you some great pointers!

I did the same thing, mountian shoes to "hide" the cleat. Then I went "LOOK" pedals, and cleat covers, never looked back.

The covers are easy to carry, and snap on when a stop comes up.