cycling shoes

hellen

Jan 26, 2010
I have decided to bite the bullet and get some cycling shoes. The first bike shop I visited told me that the shoes need to be at least one size larger than normal walking shoes. Apparently to stop your feet getting pins and needles. They didn't have my size.
The next bike shop told me the complete opposite. The shoes need to be very firm.
Who am I to believe?:(

They should be snug but not tight. Also it kind of depends on what sort of sock you were. Tick socks require larger shoes as these shoes don't tend to stretch much. Thin socks would require smaller shoes. And of course all shoe companies make slightly different style shoes so the same size will of course fit differently in a different brand.

Best suggestion is to wear the socks you will ride in and start with your regular shoe size and try the next size up. See how they feel. It would also be nice if you could take a quick test ride with them on to see how they feel, though not all stores allow this.

I have had Louis Garneau shoes, Exustar shoes and Nike shoes and they all fit a little different.

Most cycling shoes are European and cut smaller than American shoes, this could be why they told you to go up a size. I like Carnacs, these have a larger toe box for my feet.
But like stated above, you must try them on. All the makes and models will fit differently.

I buy cycling shoes to fit me just like any other pair of shoes that I would wear, whether they are tennis shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc.

I've never seen any reason to buy a cycling shoe that is bigger or smaller than what you need for a perfect fit.

As the others mentioned sizing will vary between brands. So if you want to buy a pair from an on-line store, it would be best to go to a local store and see how the sizing runs in that brand.

I would ignore any suggestions like sizing up or down and simply look for a shoe that fits your feet the best. For a given size not all cycling shoes will fit your feet the same. As another poster mentioned the thickness of your preferred socks matter. You should be able to adjust your cycling shoes for a very snug fit without any pressure points and your feet should still be comfortable. To get that level of fit you will need to try a number of different shoes. Riding with shoes that fit your feet well is way more fun that riding with shoes that are too large or not comfortable.

FWIW, I wear a size 10½~11EE, and my cycling shoe is a Sidi (Mega) is 43½. It is a snug fit, but once out in the saddle they will inevitably feel loose, and I end up tightening them up a little more. (My 2¢) :D

I prefer my shoes to be a bit tight. I hate when I pull up and i feel the sole of the shoe move away from my foot a bit. Get what you find comfortable rather then what you have been told you need.

64Paramount said:
I buy cycling shoes to fit me just like any other pair of shoes that I would wear, whether they are tennis shoes, dress shoes, casual shoes, etc.

I've never seen any reason to buy a cycling shoe that is bigger or smaller than what you need for a perfect fit.

As the others mentioned sizing will vary between brands. So if you want to buy a pair from an on-line store, it would be best to go to a local store and see how the sizing runs in that brand.

Hello

Thank you for your advice. I will buy cycling shoes that fit just like any other shoe I own. Makes perfect sense when I think about it.:)

rich88 said:
I would ignore any suggestions like sizing up or down and simply look for a shoe that fits your feet the best. For a given size not all cycling shoes will fit your feet the same. As another poster mentioned the thickness of your preferred socks matter. You should be able to adjust your cycling shoes for a very snug fit without any pressure points and your feet should still be comfortable. To get that level of fit you will need to try a number of different shoes. Riding with shoes that fit your feet well is way more fun that riding with shoes that are too large or not comfortable.

Hello Rich
You have given me perfectly logical advice. THANK YOU. Don't quite know why I was told the larger size story - I am hardly going to be riding in the Tour de France any time soon. Will buy what fits best.
Thanks
Helen:D