Cycling Shoes

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
I'm looking to purchase some new road shoes. My current ones are about 7 years old. I don't mind spending some money, but not a ridiculous amount. Can I get some suggestions on the best shoes at under $250, preferable closer to $200?

Thanks

IMO, Asking for advice on cycling shoes is akin to asking for advice on what type of woman you should marry. Other than the fact that all smart men agree on the need for her to be wealthy...

All I can say is $350 Sidi's that supposedly fit my feet perfectly hurt like hell and cheap Spesh Body Geometry shoes are as comfy on my hooves as old slippers. I've enjoyed Lake shoes (two pair), Duegi (for track and road), Detto Pietro, Schwinn Paramount (some Italian brand, re-branded), Nike and a few others over 44 years of pedaling.

There's so many variables here all I can honestly do is wish you the best of luck. Try on everything you can, locally.

Maybe if you stated what type of cycling you do, speed...distances...etc. and described your feet some of the other poster can offer something more specific to your needs.

Are your feet wide? Canoes? Do you need orthotics or want a heat-formed foot bed? What type of pedals/cleats do you use? Prefer ultra-stiff soles or like a little flex? Deep heel cup? Find ratchets lacking in fine tweaking the tightness? Want a thin tongue or do you like the really thickly padded ones? More spacious toe box or narrow from the ball of the foot to the toes?

Again, good luck!

Reactions: rclouviere
Thanks for the response. I cycled about 6,400 miles last year. Ride hard about 2-3 times a week. No major foot problems; aside from one foot is 1/2 size smaller. Is there a benefit to heat-formed heal bed?

Heh...I have a 1-1/2 size difference in my feet. Sucks when it comes time to buy cycling shoes. One is always a little tight and the other one always has a wrinkle in the toe from pulling the straps tighter than they were designed to be cinched.

Lots of guys swear by shoes that have been fitted with or come with heat molded foot bed insoles. I've never tried them, but I can see them providing a more even support, maybe a little better overall fit and I'm sure they do correct for some foot deformities/atypical foot geometry, etc. You can buy the moldable insoles separately or buy a brand of shoe that comes with them. There are LBS/dealer fitted versions and do-it-yourself versions...pop it in a toaster oven or some such thing.

Cycling shoes, like saddles, are VERY much a piece of equipment subject to personal comfort and idiosyncratic preferences. You sound like you are a pretty experienced cyclist. I'm sure you know pretty much exactly what works for you if you put in 6K+ miles in a year. I'm also sure you've been in on those conversations where two guys are raving about how nice their Sidi Genius 5 shoes are while the two guys next to them cringe and state they couldn't donate their Sidi's to Goodwill fast enough.

The old saying, "If the shoe fits, wear it!" is probably never more appropriate than when considering a cycling shoe. It's GOT to be comfortable first and foremost. If your local shop sells Carnac's, Lake's, Pearl Izumi and Bont's...try those on and pick a winner. And once you are positive (after a few hundred miles of riding in them) your feet love those new shoes, buy another pair or two before the manufacturer drops them from the line.

Just like you can't pick a saddle out from a bunch of pictures, I'm not a fan of buying shoes thru the mail. There's no replacement for having a half-dozen boxes of shoes on the floor of the local bike shop and swapping back and forth and back and forth...you may drive the staff nuts for an hour, but your feet will be comfy and pounding out mega-Watts for many, many hours in them.

One thing that always drove me to distraction was the quest to find a shoe that fits, is comfortable, has a retention system that doesn't bind and adjusts perfectly to my instep, looks decent AND has the 'just right' heel lift that works with my calf muscles and pedaling style. Too flat of a sole...cramps. Even going by the 'look' of the sole, it wasn't until the cleats were dialed in an a couple long rides were done that those new shoes were put back in their box or donated to a youngster on the junior team. Sometimes even Cinderella and Prince Charming have an easier time getting it right.

You could go to some cycling shops and try different shoes on. See which ones are comfortable for you, they may even let you take them for a spin on a bike (or your bike). Ask about their return policy too ... or customer satisfaction guarantees.

Could also visit online cycling shops and read customer reviews. The problem is like Campybob commented opinions can vary significantly on the same shoe. Some online shops may also have a 30 day return policy.

Quote by mpre53:
"My EEE foot loves $100..."

Exactly.

I've been in a pair of cheap Spesh Body Geometry 3-velcro strap shoes for eight years. They cost $65 back in 2006. Comfort and durability do not have to cost a lot of money.

One of the local LBS's (the same one I purchased those $65 shoes from back in 2006) is stopping its Spesh line entirely. No more Spesh bikes or gear. They just had a close out sale on their remaining Shesh stuff and I picked up two pairs of shoes at $45 and $40.

The last pair of Diadora's I bought at one of Performance's local shops for around $55-$65. They felt really good on the shop floor and aren't bad on shorter rides of 30-50 miles, but anything more than that and I start to notice pinching in the toe box area...just a bit too narrow for a good, comfortable fit.

This is all NOT to say that some folks do not require an expensive shoe.

Like bicycles in general and saddles in particular, a well fitted shoe should just 'disappear' from your brain while riding.

Originally Posted by rclouviere

I have the same shimano shoe and have liked it. Just wondering if I should upgrade...
I might, some day, if I ever have the freedom to spend more money than I have to on cycling accessories. Just to see what difference it makes.

There are other things on the list ahead of new shoes, though.

This is not what the OP is looking for, but I got the Giro Prolight yesterday and posted an initial look at the shoe. It is my first pair in the $300+ US dollar range.

This pair will hopefully become my primary pair with my current Specialized Extreme demoted to rainy day shoes. The Spec shoes have served me well in all sorts of conditions over the past couple years, but are starting to smell like a tom cat sprayed them so they will be exiled to the garage. They still have a good bit of life in them and I believe were in the $200 dollar range. They also have the boa system with one Velcro strap at the bottom. I like the lower range of Specialized shoes. I tried on a pair of the expensive S-works last week and they were as tight as a pair of Sidi in the toe box.

My quick look at the Giro Prolight this morning.
http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/2015/01/giro-prolight-slx-ii.html

I have several pairs of Sidi's and I like them very much but last year I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi Pro Leader II shoes and I like them even better.

Nice shoes, Felt_Rider and a good initial review. I'm a fan of the simple 3-velcro strap shoes due to the inifinte adjustability. Sometime a ratchet can too tight in one notch and too loose in the next. Velcro is also easy to adjust in the middle of a race when your foot swells or the sprint approaches.

I spent 1-1/2 hours this afternoon laced (yeah, shoe laces!) into early 1980's leather Duegi's with conventional slotted cleats pounding the **** out of a track bike that was bolted to the Kinetics fluid trainer.

If laces are still good enough for a Phinney, they're still good enough for me!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
Nice shoes, Felt_Rider and a good initial review. I'm a fan of the simple 3-velcro strap shoes due to the inifinte adjustability. Sometime a ratchet can too tight in one notch and too loose in the next. Velcro is also easy to adjust in the middle of a race when your foot swells or the sprint approaches.

I spent 1-1/2 hours this afternoon laced (yeah, shoe laces!) into early 1980's leather Duegi's with conventional slotted cleats pounding the **** out of a track bike that was bolted to the Kinetics fluid trainer.

If laces are still good enough for a Phinney, they're still good enough for me!
Thanks

When I picked up the Giro shoes the clerk told me he just started using the Giro Empire lace up shoes and was loving them. It is the same shoe as the one I got but has laces. The clerk said the laces evenly snug the foot. I imagine the same as the more expensive boa systems.

I have yet to see Empire lace-ups in my area. If I spot a pair I definitely want to try them on.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
I have yet to see Empire lace-ups in my area. If I spot a pair I definitely want to try them on.
I want a pair for attaching slotted cleats, available at Yellow Jersey, and using with my old Super Record pedals and toeclips. Toeclips and straps don't work well with velcro and buckles.

Back to the original subject, there are plenty of durable mid- to high-performance shoes available for less than $200. The trick is to find one that fits. Keep looking and be patient. When you shop, it helps to know your size and the shape of your foot.