cycling shops around Denia

aljohn

Jul 4, 2007
Hi, I'm off to Spain (Denia) for a month. Once the kids have gone home I intend to get my bike out (cheap road bike.) I know of two good shops, one in Denia and one in Javea, but I wondered if anyone knows of any more in the surrounding area? I don't actually need anything - but it's nice to look.....and I may just be tempted!
Albert

hi Albert

I live 20 mins from denia and there are two shops that are very good. The first one is Extreme and is near to the port area of Denia. the other is called Disnivell and is on the Avda Alicante 18, which is on the outskirts of Denia as you enter from the N332.
Both shops are very good and the staff are great.
Give me a pm and perhaps we could meet up.Or at least I can give you some good routes for when you arrive.
Cheers and Hasta Pronto:D

Brandyman said:
hi Albert

I live 20 mins from denia and there are two shops that are very good. The first one is Extreme and is near to the port area of Denia. the other is called Disnivell and is on the Avda Alicante 18, which is on the outskirts of Denia as you enter from the N332.
Both shops are very good and the staff are great.
Give me a pm and perhaps we could meet up.Or at least I can give you some good routes for when you arrive.
Cheers and Hasta Pronto:D
Hi Brandyman (now that's an intriguing name...)
Thanks for the info. I think I know both of them if Disnivell is a small corner shop? Every time I've been near it it's been closed unfortunately. Although I'm going this Friday it'll be 22nd before I see my bike as all the family will be there until then! I've only recently rediscovered the urge to cycle again and because I don't have the chance to go out that often I'm soo sloow!
On my last visit the furthest I've ridden was from Denia to Javea and back over the coast road - also over a huge mountain (well, that's what I tell all my friends who don't know the area!) Still, that's a start I suppose.....
Actually, I should change my name to Aldiman - my daughters flat is near Aldi, Burger King - and she and my wife insisted on my buying new (modern) gear and Aldi was so cheap! No street cred, but good value for money!
Aparently there's a cycle trail between Denia and Javea? If you know of it what sort of route is it? And what's the surface like? The tyres on my bike are so narrow I had a swine of a job to mend a couple of punctures, so I'd prefer to not have another!
As for meeting up, I think you'll be disapointed in an old, slow, boring, born-again cyclist............. but I'll find the number of my Spanish mobile and post it before I leave , and thanks for the offer.
Regards
Albert

Hi

I think the denia Javea road is more for mountain bikes,I could be wrong though.
I'm a newbie to cycling too,after having riden as a school boy, now at 37 I'm just getting back into it again,so dont be afraid, I'm not a speedster!!!
Desnivell is the corner shop and now seems to be open more than closed!!! LOL!!
There are a lot of great rides in the area,as you probably already know, and at least the denia/Marinas coast road in flat!!!
Hope I've been of some help mate, speak soon.
Regards:D

Brandyman said:
Hi

I think the denia Javea road is more for mountain bikes,I could be wrong though.
I'm a newbie to cycling too,after having riden as a school boy, now at 37 I'm just getting back into it again,so dont be afraid, I'm not a speedster!!!
Desnivell is the corner shop and now seems to be open more than closed!!! LOL!!
There are a lot of great rides in the area,as you probably already know, and at least the denia/Marinas coast road in flat!!!
Hope I've been of some help mate, speak soon.
Regards:D
Thanks for that, I'll have to check that route - I do prefer roads. All packed and ready to go! My Spanish mobile number is +34609113489
Speak to you soon
Albert

Funnily enough I live in Denia although I may have posted this too late to catch you before you set off.

As far as the shops go, Extreme is on your doorstep and pretty much has most things you might want - and if it doesn´t, it orders stuff in that usually arrives within 2-3 days. It is open from around 9.30 - 2.00 pm and then again from 5 until 8.30 or 9.00 pm. It is shut on Sundays and Mondays.

At this time of year you are going to find cycling a bit more hazardous than normal. Denia´s poulation swells from around 50,000 to 400,000 during August so there is a lot of traffic in and around town and a lot of nutters who have no patience or road sense.

As you will already know, it´s also extremely hot. Most days are above 30 so dehydration is a serious risk if doing long rides. Make sure you drink plenty and stop for refills. I prefer going out early, before 8.00 am, when the roads are quiter and the temp is cooler. There also tends to be fairly strong thermal winds along the coast most afternoons which are best avoided.

There are plenty of group rides and club rides in the area (Javea, Denia and Pedreguer are all fairly active clubs) although it sounds like you would prefer to find your cycling legs before joining a group.

Flat and rolling-hill ride options include going towards Javea and then on to Benitachell and Teulada; doing the back roads between Denia - las Marinas - Oliva and Gandia; and going inland to Pedreguer - Orba - les Pileretes - Pego and back to Denia.

The mountains are also within an hour of riding and include Col de Rates, Tudons, Bernia and Margarida. The one between Denia and Javea (the Montgo) can be a tough one although at 3-4 kms it´s short compared to what lies a little further in.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Denia

www.ciclocostablanca.com

Hi Denia. I live in Adsubia. I'll send you my email and perhpas we could get together some day?:)

Brandyman said:
Hi Denia. I live in Adsubia. I'll send you my email and perhpas we could get together some day?:)
Hi Brandyman,
Sorry we never managed to meet up - perhaps next time? My daughter is very ill and I didn't go out as much as I intended. You were right about the flat route from Denia to Javea, it would be better on a bike with fat tyres. I rode part way and enjoyed it - very quiet. I saw a snake slithering across the road! about 18"to 2ft, silvery green. Any ideas? My tyre was flat next day!!!!!!It was a swine to mend being so narrow and I managed to pinch the repaired one and had to do it again. My bike at home has tubs - I'm soooo glad......
And Hi to Denia,
You guessed it, I would like to get some miles in before I join a group and show myself up! I know people are sympathetic and helpful but it is embarrassing when you can't keep up..... I don't mind the road over Montgo, but I really want to be fit enough to enjoy the ride to Guadalest - and definitely enjoy the ride back down! Ah, well - perhaps next year?
All the best
Albert

Disnivell has moved to this address
Abu Zeyan, 1b 03700 Denia tel 965782343

Hi I'm off to Denia area for 2 months - want to buy a mountain bike (cheap) to ride around on - old 57 unfit but want to use time for getting in shape. Don't want racing bike Any suggestions? Ancient one